Fresh upgrade to Elyssa, how to import /home

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DapperMe17

Fresh upgrade to Elyssa, how to import /home

Post by DapperMe17 »

Hello,

Have just upgraded frm Daryna, to Elyssa via the LiveCD.

The hard drive has a seperate "/home" partiton.

I installed Elyssa & only reformatted the "/" partiton. Of course, I didn't re-format the seperate "/home" partition.

Unfortunately, the system settings that were defined in Daryna, have not activated in Elyssa.

Could I have just overlooked something?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: Fresh upgrade to Elyssa, how to import /home

Post by miket »

Hi !
DapperMe17 wrote:Hello,

Have just upgraded frm Daryna, to Elyssa via the LiveCD.
The hard drive has a seperate "/home" partiton.
I installed Elyssa & only reformatted the "/" partiton. Of course, I didn't re-format the seperate "/home" partition.
Unfortunately, the system settings that were defined in Daryna, have not activated in Elyssa.
Could I have just overlooked something?
Thanks
Sounds like you didn't specify the /home partition during the installation thus it's created a new home directory under / !
All you need to do is add the /home partition information into the /etc/fstab file as per your old installation, reboot and all will be well!

Mike.
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply.

During the installation process (in the partitioner), I did create the mount point of "/home" (didn't format it) on the same partition of the previous /home.

Maybe, I'm misinterpriting what you mean?

Either way, I don't have a problem resetting everything. However, I created the seperate partitions to avoid this. :o
Unfortunately, I don't have the previous fstab information
Could you let me know if there's something more specific that I need to do in the future?

Thanks
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
DapperMe17 wrote:Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply.

During the installation process (in the partitioner), I did create the mount point of "/home" (didn't format it) on the same partition of the previous /home.
Maybe, I'm misinterpriting what you mean?
Either way, I don't have a problem resetting everything. However, I created the seperate partitions to avoid this. :o
Unfortunately, I don't have the previous fstab information
.Could you let me know if there's something more specific that I need to do in the future?
Thanks
OK, what you have done is correct, you are using the same /home as before, so I am now a little confused as to what exactly the problem is?
You don't need to "import" /home as you are already using the same /home as before ?

Just make sure your username, UID and GID are the same as before and all should be fine.

Mike.
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Mike,

You've got me! That's what I did, but my old /home didn't take.

The only thing I could see that might be affecting this....via the partition editor, the root "/" partition appears to be mounted under two listed mount points, "/" & "/dev.static/dev". These appear on the same line in the partition editor.

Any ideas?
Thanks
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

DapperMe17 wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have the previous fstab information
What does your fstab look like at the moment?
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Here's the fstab.... :)

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda3
UUID=9b4e792a-3148-4cd5-9db7-8a8e9d1021e1 /               ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sda1
UUID=bd6dab1b-a12e-4486-9ac7-a8b801d5df7e /home           ext3    relatime        0       2
# /dev/sda4
UUID=bec46f65-74ff-40fd-a80a-a99bae5c2704 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
/dev/scd1       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Hi Mike,

I just did a fresh install. When in doubt...!

This time, all the "home" data was imported just fine. It must have been a corrupt first install.

Thanks for your help :o

Return to “Xfce”