infinality patch: odd glyphs in sans serif fonts [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

infinality patch: odd glyphs in sans serif fonts [SOLVED]

Post by xfrank »

I have installed the infinality pach with ppa:no1wantdthisname/ppa The fonts now are gorgeous, almost superb despite the lowish resolution screen of my laptop (1366x768). As setting I have:
XFT_SETTINGS="
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.autohint: 0
Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
Xft.rgba: rgb
My infinality styles are: Linux, and Infinality. As desktop default font I have: Source Sans Pro, size: 11.
All is OK EXCEPT for an odd behaviour of the "s" glyph in some sans-serif fonts: Noto Sans, Source Sans Pro, Helvetica, Freesans and Open Sans. In this fonts, from point 14 to 18 (at 100% zoom) the central diagonal is too thin, resulting in a weird appearence of the text. The Serif fonts are rendered perfectly.
I've searched extensively for several days around the forums, even in the same infinality forum: http://www.infinality.net/forum/viewtop ... ring#p1367 Here, in 2012, the site administrator said that the culprit is the freetype autohint (incapable of hinting diagonals).
Any advice? This seems a little problem, but it's annoying for people like me that spend hours daily to see text for their work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Re: infinality patch: odd glyphs in sans serif fonts

Post by xfrank »

Update: I have installed another (more recent) infinality patch from: https://launchpad.net/~rjvbertin/+archi ... inaltimate (Infinality-ultimate, by Bohoomil, a guy active in the Arch community)
Unfortunately, it didn't solve the issue. Moreover, this patch changed radically the infinality.sh file and don't allow anymore to add the fix to load MDM in Mint. I found a workaround reverting the file to the previous infinality patch. But the Bohoomil's patch changed also fontconfig-config, libfontconfig1 and freetype6 packages, that cannot be reverted to the previous version without removing half the system. Anyway, for the moment, all seems stable and the general appearance of the fonts is OK, except for the "s" lowercase issue.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Re: infinality patch: odd glyphs in sans serif fonts

Post by xfrank »

SOLVED!
I contacted directly in github the developer of the infinality ultimage packages (Bohoomil, a very nice person), and I've realized that the problem with the weird letters was because the system had to read (at startup) the old-infinality file: /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh with the addedd line to prevent the MDM blockage. I have restored the new-infinality file (with the same name as the old). OK. And what about the MDM conflict? Well, I found the solution here:
https://github.com/achaphiv/ppa-fonts/b ... /README.md

Executing

Code: Select all

sudo update-rc.d -f mdm remove
sudo update-rc.d mdm defaults

in the next restart MDM will work. Tested. :D

So beautiful fonts... I'm happy :lol:

Return to “Xfce”