Memory leak Openoffice

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Memory leak Openoffice

Post by oliverjames »

I am processing some large ooffice data files (circa 15 Mb). After boot, Ooffice and file load process manager reports 37% of my 2 Gb ram is in use. After 3 or 4 data manipulation operations, copying ooffice sheets of circa 13,000 x 9 data with some math operations, proc manager reports 80% of ram in use and the systems slows considerably.

There seems to be a memory leak, has anyone else seen this? is there an easy way to flush the memory?

Closing and reopening Ooffice does restore the situation but given the file size that's a lengthy operation.

Oliverjames
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Memory leak Openoffice

Post by Husse »

Linux handles memory better that Windows and sets aside "cache"
This can be confusing as not all memory that is reported as used is really used
This is from the "top" command in my computer a few seconds ago
Mem: 2074648k total, 963360k used, 1111288k free, 47712k buffers
Swap: 2048248k total, 0k used, 2048248k free, 474064k cached
You can see that 963360k is reported as used (960 MB) which is a lot - but you also see 474064k cached (470 MB) which means 490 MB really used. A look in System Monitor a few seconds later says 465 MB used which is consistent
I have 25 tabs open in FF which explains the memory use
Not sure what you mean with proc manager but lots of tools that reports memory use reports the gross, including cached memory
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Hello Husse, I've just seen your message. I realise that all is not necessarily as claimed but the real issue is the after 5 or 6 operations on the ooffice spreadsheets the indicated memory use doubles and the programme slows to the point where a reload of OO is needed to continue.

It seems form a quick scan of the web that many oofice users have found the same problem. I've been finishing of the work on a far more powerful machine running Linux and it gets through the number crunching better but eventually runs to a halt, needing ooffice reload.

Just wondered if there is a simple trick to relasing the memory with having to reload OO.

Oliverjames
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

oliverjames, would it help any to change the default undo operations from 100 to 30? Just trying to help.

Return to “Xfce”