How to Configure Section Monitor in X.Org? [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
boblynn
Level 3
Level 3

How to Configure Section Monitor in X.Org? [SOLVED]

Post by boblynn »

Note: While the monitor is still not recognized, setting the UseBIOS option to "false" allowed the monitor's native resolution to appear in the Display list so I mark this Solved.
Hello:

LM 17 Xfce does not recognize my monitor and uses a "default monitor configuration". Unfortunately, this does not allow the monitor's native resolution (1440x900) to appear in the selection list.

After searching online I was led to the X.org.O.log which revealed the following:

1.) the "EDID" properly recognized the monitor
[40.318] (II) SAVAGE(0): Monitor name: VG1932 SERIES]

2.) the "DDC" correctly identified the native resolution
[ 40.318] (II) SAVAGE(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
[ 40.318] (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0 106.50 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync (55.9 kHz eP)

3.) the graphics driver (savage) apparently uses a list of "BIOS modes" which does not include the native resolution uncovered in the auto config Xorg
[ 40.340] (--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 1440x900 59Hz.
[ 40.340] (II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1440x900" (no mode of this name)

Further searching led me to information on the "UseBIOS" option of the "Section "Device" configuration so I created a "10-monitor.conf" file from a "Sample" in the "xorg.conf.d" folder. (I set it to "off" but my first attempt did not end well :-)

Before I go "exploring" any further, is this the correct way to solve my problem by turning off the UseBIOS default driver option and allow Xorg to auto config the native resolution it recognized?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

My system info:

Code: Select all

$ inxi -SMGx

System:    Host: bob- Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.8 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: Compaq Presario 061 product: DK214A-ABA S4020WM NA210 version: 0n31411RE101SALSA10
           Mobo: N/A model: KM266-8235 Bios: Phoenix version: AM37312 date: 03/17/2003
Graphics:  Card: S3 Graphics VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: savage (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shengchieh

Re: How to Configure Section Monitor in X.Org?

Post by shengchieh »

If you haven't, try menu -> settings -> display. 1440x900 is there.

Sheng-Chieh
boblynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boblynn »

shengchieh wrote:If you haven't, try menu -> settings -> display. 1440x900 is there.

Sheng-Chieh
Thank you Sheng-Chieh for your prompt reply!
Yes, the first thing I tried was to change the display settings. That was when I discovered the native resolution (1440x900) was not in the list.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

boblynn,

Try this method. Create an xorg.conf file by using this command in the Terminal:

gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Add these lines to the opened file:

Section "Device"
   Identifier   "Device0"
   Driver   "savage"   
   Option "UseBIOS" "false" 
EndSection
Then reboot. If there is a startup problem, then at the GRUB boot menu select Recovery Mode. If no menu shows, then hold down the Shift key while starting, or try repeatedly tapping it. In the menu,
select “root - drop to root shell prompt”. When asked for the root password, just type your user password. Then change the file permissions to read and write by typing:

mount -o remount,rw /	

Then remove the file with this command:

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then type “reboot”. You'll go back to the Recovery Mode menu. Don't click anything, just wait about 7 seconds for the reboot.
boblynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boblynn »

"roblm" boblynn,

Try this method. Create an xorg.conf file ...
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you roblm! That worked!

Not only did the native resolution appear in the list, two additional resolutions that the monitor is also capable of now populate the list. As I suspected, the default setting of UseBIOS = "true" was limiting the display resolutions to the "modes" built in to the savage driver. - The "sample" config file I "modified" had additional "Sections" that must have caused the crash I first experienced.

I didn't think a simple single Section xorg.conf file would work as other documentation I found online suggested adding a xx-filename.conf file (as a modifier) to the xorg.conf.d folder but you can't argue with success!

Thank you for all your help!
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

boblynn wrote:The "sample" config file I "modified" had additional "Sections" that must have caused the crash I first experienced.
Can you post the file you used.

An xorg.conf file usually has more sections but they are often optional if the other system devices are detected and configured correctly. Then the X.Org X Server will create default
configurations for those sections. The Device section is mandatory.
Last edited by roblm on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
boblynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boblynn »

roblm wrote:
boblynn wrote:The "sample" config file I "modified" had additional "Sections" that must have caused the crash I first experienced.
Can you post the file you used.

An xorg.conf file usually has more sections but they are sometimes optional. Then the X.Org X Server will create default configurations for those sections. The Device section is mandatory.
Thank you for your prompt reply roblm!
Unfortunately, I was trying to reinstall LM13 Mate on another partition of that system and selected the LM17 xfce partition instead :-(

If I remember correctly, it had three sections: Device, Monitor, and Screen. I modified Monitor and Device (to include UseBIOS "off") but left the Screen as it was. I copied it to a file named: 10-monitor.conf and put it in the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ folder as directed. In hindsight, I probably should have left out the Screen section since I really didn't understand it.

Oh well, your simple xorg.conf file with only the Device section solved my problem and populated the Display resolution list with all the supported monitor resolutions. Maybe I will try adding the Monitor section to it to see if it is properly recognized.

Thanks again for all your help!
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

boblynn wrote:Unfortunately, I was trying to reinstall LM13 Mate on another partition of that system and selected the LM17 xfce partition instead :
I would suggest that you routinely make backup images of your Mint partitions. I use Clonezilla, which rarely fails if used correctly. Also consider having separate root (/) and home
partitions. I use Clonezilla to back up the root partition only and manually back up the data files on the home partition. The backup image is then only 2 to 2.2 GB in size and can be restored
back in about 5 minutes. If you have an SSD drive, then it takes about 2 minutes.
Last edited by roblm on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
boblynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boblynn »

roblm wrote:
boblynn wrote:Unfortunately, I was trying to reinstall LM13 Mate on another partition of that system and selected the LM17 xfce partition instead :
I would suggest that you routinely make backup images of your Mint partitions. I use Clonezilla, which rarely fails if used correctly. Also consider having separate root (/) and home
partitions. I use Clonezilla to back up the root partition only and manually back up the data files on the home partition. The backup image is then only 2 to 2.2 GB in size and can be restored back in about 4 minutes. If you have an SSD drive, then it takes about 1 minute.
Clonezilla? I will certainly try that and thanks for the recommendation!

I have been (manually) backing up my Data in my home partition on my daily PC. I got the same suggestion (in another post) about creating a separate /home partition. (Great idea!) I tried that but had some problems pointing the various Linux version to use it on my "test" box. (Something came up and I never got back to it.) I had not considered making a backup of the root partition but that is also a great suggestion!

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions roblm!

Return to “Xfce”