I give up! - Back to Mint 5!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

I give up! - Back to Mint 5!

Post by Zwopper »

I've had so much headache with Mint 6, so now it's back to Mint 5, at least that version was solid as a rock, everything really DID work out of the box!
In Mint 6 I have trouble with sound, applets disappearing, shared network drives not working and whatnot...
It seems to me that when Mint switched base from it's own to a more "pure" Ubuntu base the troubles started...
...and this is all version, not just XFCE...
Too bad, there were some nice additions to Mint 6 that I really liked. :?
...but somehow that rock solid Mint feeling got lost along the way, now it feels more and more like Mintbuntu... :cry:
Well whatever, I just needed to rant about it, I don't mean to upset anyone!
Elyssa here I come!

PS. I'm probably biased by my own bad experience, but hasn't error postings exploded since the release of Mint 6 :?: :!: :?:
...nah, it's probably just me... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
FedoraRefugee

Re: I give up! - Back to Mint 5!

Post by FedoraRefugee »

That really is surprising, especially coming from you! I know you know your way around Mint. Initially, when I used the main, Gnome edition for a few weeks I felt the same way. Could not get wireless to work, had funky stuff going on when I installed Xfce over Gnome, reverted to Gnome and had quite a few minor, irritating things going on. But when the Xfce CE was released I installed it and everything was perfect, even better than 5. Maybe I just got lucky? I am running it on 5 computers though (Xfce CE) desktops and a couple laptops. Cannot say I have had any problems at all. I am also running Shane's Fluxbox CE on my big desktop now and love it too. A few minor irritations which others have reported so I didnt bother, but all in all a very good release.

At any rate, I agree that the Ubuntu base leaves something to be desired, but as long as Mint can work out all the problems (which it has not appeared to have done in your case) then I can live with it. Seems to me debian would be a wiser choice though, but then again, I am not driving the train and dont even know how to drive a train...so...
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I reinstalled Mint 5 XFCE and all is back to normal! :D
Hopefully Mint, as well as Windows ;) will get better with the release of 7 :wink:
CREA DIEM!

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The 8.04 base is much more solid and reliable in my opinion. The 8.10 base caused me far too many problems with graphics cards and screen resolution.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

I hate to but, I sort of have to agree with Zwopper. I loved Mint 5 and just sort of Like Mint 6. A lot of weird little gotchas that weren't in 5 seem to pop up running 6 even though they aren't bad enough to be deal breakers.
The one that does aggravate the worst is sound just randomly dying without reason, this didn't happen on Mint 5.
It wouldn't really be such an issue if I knew how to restart it without rebooting the whole computer but nothing short of a reboot seems to work. Not good for a Linux system.

Even though, I'm going to ride it out. Unless I find a real deal killer. It would suck to have to revert back to an older version, I can think of far worse things to go back to than Mint 5 though.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Zwopper wrote:I reinstalled Mint 5 XFCE and all is back to normal! :D
Hopefully Mint, as well as Windows ;) will get better with the release of 7 :wink:
Hate to say it, by I am quite enjoying Win 7 Beta on my laptop right now.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yes, I am sorry but I have to agree. The 8.10 release has been problematic in a number of respects. Unfortunately Mint inherited a pile of bugs to have to deal with. It is the inconsistencies that bother me the most.

Fred
viking777

Post by viking777 »

It is amazing how different perceptions can be! I tried Mint5 for a while and I thought it was a waste of disk space when compared to other contemporary distros so I just wiped it. Mint 6 on the other hand I find superior to anything else that I have tried - quite considerably. I guess it is down to a combination of different hardware and different usage patterns between different users. For instance if one of your problems with 6 happened to be to do with wireless networking for example then that wouldn't bohter me in the slightest because I don't use it. On the other hand if I was faced with a distro that couldn't recognise and configure gprs/3g modems (like Elyssa couldn't when I tried it) then to me that distro is worthless. To most people that wouldn't make any difference since these type of devices are not widely used.

Anyway good luck with 5, see you in 7 (not Windows I hope :!: )
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

viking777 wrote: Anyway good luck with 5, see you in 7 (not Windows I hope :!: )
No windows on my machines ever again!
:D
CREA DIEM!

dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

I suppose that user experiences vary depending on hardware specs, but I have had no problems with Mint 6 / 8.10 base losing things and what-not; at least with the Main edition anyway. My only problem I have had with it is that when desktop effects are enabled, I cannot log back in after I log off. I have to do a hard reboot to get myself back to the desktop. Doesn't do that with Elyssa, nor does it do that with 9.04.

I am really looking forward to Mint 7 though. This distro gets better and better in their releases in my honest opinion, and I am a convert for life! :D

Sorry for your system not working out too well for you Zwopper, but I am glad you got things back to par now. A productive Mint user is a happy Mint user indeed!
gibbsre

Post by gibbsre »

Zwopper wrote:I've had so much headache with Mint 6, so now it's back to Mint 5, at least that version was solid as a rock, everything really DID work out of the box!
In Mint 6 I have trouble with sound, applets disappearing, shared network drives not working and whatnot...
It seems to me that when Mint switched base from it's own to a more "pure" Ubuntu base the troubles started...
...and this is all version, not just XFCE...
Too bad, there were some nice additions to Mint 6 that I really liked. :?
...but somehow that rock solid Mint feeling got lost along the way, now it feels more and more like Mintbuntu... :cry:
Well whatever, I just needed to rant about it, I don't mean to upset anyone!
Elyssa here I come!

PS. I'm probably biased by my own bad experience, but hasn't error postings exploded since the release of Mint 6 :?: :!: :?:
...nah, it's probably just me... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
I haven't given up yet, but I am getting more frustrated by the minute. All was going along pretty well, then poof!!, my panel disappears, and I can't get it back, AND the panel controller seems to have taken a powder as well. It shows to be there in the drop down list, it shows to be installed in synaptic, the apps finder finds it, but it ain't happening. Nothing when clicked on. Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I may join you back in time. Sometimes newer, isn't better. OK rant over.

Return to “Xfce”