usb devices invisible using Xfce (SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
titus

usb devices invisible using Xfce (SOLVED)

Post by titus »

Hello,
I'm running Mint 9 64bit and it's excellent but I prefer a desktop other than Gnome. I've tried Fluxbox but I can't seem to configure it to be as smooth as the community edition of mint 8 32bit. I've installed Xfce and it looks great and works well but for one strange anomaly.
When I connect a USB memory stick or an MP3 player everything appears to go through the motions but nothing shows up on the desktop in the home folder or the file system. I can't find it. Using the accessory "search for files..." I can get the option of searching the device but any attempts to use a "wildcard" to open it results in every file on the PC being displayed.
If I log out and go to the Gnome desktop everything is as normal and my device is waiting there on the desktop.
Does anybody have any idea why Xfce can't allow me to access the USB devices?
As ever, I'll be grateful of any input.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: usb devices invisible using Xfce

Post by vrkalak »

There is more than one way to "mount" a USB drive in Xfce.

Check out the Xfce Wiki and the Xfce Forum, for "How-to", and tutorials for 'mounting' an external USB or drive.

http://wiki.xfce.org/
http://forum.xfce.org

There is a lot of useful information about Xfce there.

For myself, I have found it easiest to 'mount' a USB-drive, an external hard-drive or another partition in Xfce through my File Manager.
I have installed PCManFM file manager from Synaptic. (There are other File Managers that do this, too)
All drives, USBs and partitions show up in the sidebar inside of the PCManFM File Manager ... and are easily accessed and mounted.
titus

Re: usb devices invisible using Xfce (SOLVED)

Post by titus »

Thanks vrkalak,
Your advice was much appreciated and the problem is solved. As with so many problems it originated in the operator, I didn't understand that the USB mounting was desktop specific. Previously I've used Xfce on distros that came with the desktop pre-configured unlike this one which I installed myself.
I didn't go precisely down your route but took a very similar one, all is now good.
many thanks.

Return to “Xfce”