How to disable xscreensaver [solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
graeme

How to disable xscreensaver [solved]

Post by graeme »

Using Mint 9 XFCE, I want to disable xscreensaver, and user gnome-screensaver, because switch user does not work with xscreensaver (xscreensaver needs a minor change to be compatible with the current gdmiflexiserver).

I cannot find how to stop xscreensaver. Its not in autostart list, or the session and even if I stop it and save the session its still there.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to disable xscreensaver.

Post by merlwiz79 »

It's in the script that starts the session.
Xscreensaver is used because gnome-screensaver is now incompatible with Xfce.
graeme

Re: How to disable xscreensaver.

Post by graeme »

xscreensaver is now incompatible with GDM, and that was more of a problem with me (it was not possible to switch user/new login from a locked screen).

I installed gnome-screensaver and uninstalled xscreensaver. The script starts gnome-screensaver if it cannot find xscreensaver, so that is now OK.

The gnome-screensaver incompatibility was easily worked around by using xautolock to start gnome-screensaver

Code: Select all

xautolock -time 5 -locker "gnome-screensaver-command --lock"
and add it to XFCE' autostart config

The only real issue is that because the GUI does not let you edit autostart entries, I have to delete the xautolock entry and add it again if I change my mind about how long it should start the screensaver after.
oddhack

Re: How to disable xscreensaver [solved]

Post by oddhack »

Hi thanks for these responses, I am trying to get this to work in order to be able to use the fast user switcher.
I have uninstalled xscreensaver and installed gnome-screensaver.

I am unsure how to implement graeme's fix - please could someone let me know which autostart file is being referred to?
What should this edited file look like once I have added the xautolock line please?

Thanks.
Smiff2

Re: How to disable xscreensaver [solved]

Post by Smiff2 »

2 years later, can anyone tell me if this still works please?

just realised XFCE Mint13 still has this issue i think, you can't switch users from the lockscreen.

disabling xscreensaver just means users can switch with no security at all!

also the xfce panel switch user dialogue is confusing, with it's "open new display" "switch to existing display" buttons.

i guess what i want is to always go back to the Login screen (ideally with screensaver). not sure how to acheive this.

i might have to try Xubuntu to see how that handles it.

Return to “Xfce”