No more Xubuntu based Linux Mint Xfce.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: No more Xubuntu based Linux Mint Xfce.

Post by MALsPa »

Murdock wrote:If you want a Debian XFCE get SalineOS.
Still not not very well-known, but a nice option, IMHO.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

edwardr wrote:Dry Lips, Mint 9 Xfce is still available and it is a LTS version.
Well, I'm aware of that, but I'm kind of worried about the direction Mint is heading in.
Mint is probably the best OS for newcomers to Linux, and in that respect I think
switching to Debian Testing is a mistake. I understand it is done in order to reduce the
work load of the developers, but I think Nunol's suggestion is a very good one and ought
to be implemented. I think noobs are better off with LTS-versions in the first place, and
sooner or later Mint 9 will reach its end of days, and then I very much would like to see
another LTS-based version of Mint around.

Just my 0.02£...
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

I also wish they had kept Mint Xfce based on Xubuntu. I currently have Mint 9 Xfce on my primary computer and have no desire to change it. When I tried Mint Debian, and later Mint Debian Xfce, I ended up deleting them because they just didn't work on my machines. I understand the lxde version is now the light *buntu-based Mint, and I have Mint 10 Lxde on my secondary computer, but I stil prefer Xfce.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

edwardr wrote:I also wish they had kept Mint Xfce based on Xubuntu. I currently have Mint 9 Xfce on my primary computer and have no desire to change it. When I tried Mint Debian, and later Mint Debian Xfce, I ended up deleting them because they just didn't work on my machines. I understand the lxde version is now the light *buntu-based Mint, and I have Mint 10 Lxde on my secondary computer, but I stil prefer Xfce.
Let us hope that the developers read this discussion then ;) Lxde is a great choice for low-end
computers with 1GB-250mb Ram, but it's a lightweight DE not meant to run on computers with
more decent hardware specs. It's just a little too limited.

That's why we still need a Xubuntu LTS based version of Mint when the new LTS is released next year!
chihlang

Post by chihlang »

merlwiz79 wrote:
clem wrote:The Xfce edition will continue on top of a Debian base. The features that were included in mintconfig-xfce and mintdesktop-xfce need to be included in mintdesktop. The new version of mintdesktop is now DE agnostic and features different tabs depending on which DE it is run on. By adding Xfce specifics tabs to it we can include the mintconfig-xfce and mindesktop-xfce features back into the edition.

I understand that a few people don't like the mainstream software selection and/or the switch to LMDE, but it was necessary to do this change and we won't be supporting Xfce on top of Ubuntu in the future. On the Mint 10 release cycle, we almost ran short and skipped this edition entirely. We simply don't have the manpower and the resources to guarantee the maintenance and so it's important for us to switch it to a rolling series and out of the release cycle. It also makes a lot of sense from a strategic point of view. It's likely Fluxbox and LXDE will switch as well.

It means that mint will not base on ubuntu ?
rekik

Post by rekik »

AFAIK, the classical Ubuntu based Gnome edition will be continued, but Mint XFCE will be exclusively Debian based.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

I did actually PM Clem about this a little while ago and brought Nunol's suggestion
(see above) to his notice. What he wrote back was that while he couldn't promise anything,
it certainly was something to consider...

This is another thing I like about the Mint community... I feel suggestions and feedback
are welcome here! :)
yaspaju

Post by yaspaju »

Dry Lips wrote:I did actually PM Clem about this a little while ago and brought Nunol's suggestion
(see above) to his notice. What he wrote back was that while he couldn't promise anything,

This is another thing I like about the Mint community... I feel suggestions and feedback
I'm new in linux and finally had found linux mint xfce based on xubuntu which I love and I hear that its development has stopped, I hope to pick up again
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Dry Lips wrote:I did actually PM Clem about this a little while ago and brought Nunol's suggestion

Bad news if that means less time available for needed work for the LMDE editions.
GrouchyGaijin

Post by GrouchyGaijin »

OK I have a stupid question.

I just installed Mint 12 and then got Xfce from the repository and am running that.
Is there going to be a problem doing so in the future? My question is, will Mint Xfce moving to Debian from Ubuntu affect me or is this just about installing an Xfce edition that doesn't come with Gnome or other desktops?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

GrouchyGaijin wrote:I just installed Mint 12 and then got Xfce from the repository and am running that.
Is there going to be a problem doing so in the future?
No, you can install any available desktop or WM on any Mint edition.
GrouchyGaijin wrote:My question is, will Mint Xfce moving to Debian from Ubuntu affect me or is this just about installing an Xfce edition that doesn't come with Gnome or other desktops?
Mint has a edition with XFCE that was based on Ubuntu in Mint 9 LTS and is now based on Debian in Mint XFCE. If you use that edition you are affected but if you build "your" Mint XFCE on top of any other Ubuntu based Mint edition like Mint 12, Mint 12 KDE or Mint 12 LXDE then you are not affected.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

I just want to thank Clem and the rest of the Mint team for making a Xfce version of Maya! Kudos to you guys!

:o :D 8)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

New version out so topic closed.

Return to “Xfce”