What is your opinion about SSD?

Chat about just about anything else

What is your opinion about SSD?

Postby RacerBG on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:37 am

Sooner or later you will buy something new - laptop or PC. But why you will prefer: SSD or HDD, or even hybrid one?

For me the rotating HDD's are old by now. And I don't want to risk by going in to the hybrid area. If I was to decide I will choose bare bones SSD. For laptops this will be great decision - no more high noise and no more high temperature. The only problem is that SSD's are still small and expensive. And how about the Linux support? I think the last one will not be a problem or is not a problem already.
Linux Mint User
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What is your opinion about SSD?

Postby catweazel on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:29 am

SSDs are getting cheaper, and they work fine under linux.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby xenopeek on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:56 am

Since 2009 I exclusively use SSDs. I don't need the tardy slow HDDs, and you can keep their noise also. My computer runs completely silent :wink: They are more expensive that HDDs, but it's up to you of course how you allocate your budget for a new computer or computer upgrade. I allocated it to a SSD and saved on the other components.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Don_Pedro on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:11 am

Budget : if choice is more memory or 1 SSD , do not hesitate choose SSD,

Reliability : do not hesitate choose SSD,

Cordially
P.
Mint 16 "Petra", Cinnamon 64-bit 2.0.14 Kernel 3.11.0-12 Dual Boot W7
Toshiba Satellite T135 Intel SU4100 @1.30GHz Ram:4GB DDR3 Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller Firefox/Thunderbird inxi Fxz File
Don_Pedro
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mmix on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:12 am

maybe someday i will try but not now,
i need more space. 2TB SSD $100, then i will buy it.
mmix
Level 2
Level 2

Postby skywolfblue on Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:48 pm

They're fast and quiet to be sure, but they're still pretty damn expensive (my 1TB HD was the same price as my 128GB SSD!). And I remain a little dubious as to how long-lasting they are given the short number of rewrites available, SSD's haven't been around long enough to prove whether they're truly longer lasting then a good HDD (~5years at least).

Given a couple years for the price to go down and improvements to make the longevity go up and I'll believe they'll be ready to make HDD's obsolete. But until then, I think HDDs are better priced.
skywolfblue
Level 2
Level 2

Postby RacerBG on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:31 am

skywolfblue wrote:They're fast and quiet to be sure, but they're still pretty damn expensive (my 1TB HD was the same price as my 128GB SSD!). And I remain a little dubious as to how long-lasting they are given the short number of rewrites available, SSD's haven't been around long enough to prove whether they're truly longer lasting then a good HDD (~5years at least).

Given a couple years for the price to go down and improvements to make the longevity go up and I'll believe they'll be ready to make HDD's obsolete. But until then, I think HDDs are better priced.

Long life? My 80 GB HDD is already at least 6 years old...it's working fine. :roll: Anyway guys you are giving a lot of good information, thanks for that. I hope that we can further expand this question because everyone's opinion is important. :)

And by saying "rewrites" you mean formatting, right? For the first time I hear that one HDD/SSD can be literally destroyed from that.
Linux Mint User
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Postby FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:03 am

RacerBG wrote:And by saying "rewrites" you mean formatting, right? For the first time I hear that one HDD/SSD can be literally destroyed from that.

Formatting hasn't hurt my SSD, but I don't do it often. I think defragmenting is probably the worst thing you could do to an SSD, and entirely unnecessary too.
Remember BlueJ 2005
FreedomOfTheOpenCode
Level 2
Level 2

Postby recluce on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:59 am

SSD prices have been dropping sharply over the last few months. I just bought two SSDs lately at these prices:

Seagate 600 Series 480 GB: $279
Intel 530 Series 240 GB: $129

Yes, they are still more expensive than a hard disk and the above were special sales prices (Canada, plus sales taxes). But the speed advantage is colossal. On a high-spec computer using UEFI boot, Mint 13 boots in roughly 5 seconds from "Power On" to the MDM screen (Intel 530 SSD), Windows 7 needs about 8 seconds on the same machine. Loading a program is almost instantaneous.

If you need "more storage space", build a system with a SSD as the boot drive and one or more hard drives for mass storage.
recluce
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zalbor on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:40 pm

So far I've never found myself having problems because my computer takes a minute (or two) instead of 30 seconds to boot from a regular drive so I'm not in any hurry to adopt SSDs.
Once they're (nearly) as cheap as normal drives of the same capacity and can be rewritten as many times, I'll reconsider.
Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby skywolfblue on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:29 pm

RacerBG wrote:
skywolfblue wrote:They're fast and quiet to be sure, but they're still pretty damn expensive (my 1TB HD was the same price as my 128GB SSD!). And I remain a little dubious as to how long-lasting they are given the short number of rewrites available, SSD's haven't been around long enough to prove whether they're truly longer lasting then a good HDD (~5years at least).

Long life? My 80 GB HDD is already at least 6 years old...it's working fine. :roll: Anyway guys you are giving a lot of good information, thanks for that. I hope that we can further expand this question because everyone's opinion is important. :)

And by saying "rewrites" you mean formatting, right? For the first time I hear that one HDD/SSD can be literally destroyed from that.

"Rewrites" = the NAND flash memory can be written to only so many times, I believe for current drives it's somewhere from 1000 to 3000 writes. (usually significantly lower in practice then advertised)

You have a first-generation SSD that's still working? That seems to be a rarity with what all the hardware reviewers are saying, about large numbers of early SSDs being filled with writes pretty fast because they didn't have good wear leveling. I'm glad to hear that yours still works, but my skeptical side wants another 2 years to see how SSDs in general fair.

Formatting, Page Files, File system Journaling,Write Amplification etc. They won't kill the drive, but they do eat into the lifespan in short amounts. All but the Write Amplification are good things to have, so it's not like they should be disabled.
In addition to Defragmentation, I've heard of the Windows Disk Checking utility bricking SSDs. (though that's probably Microsoft's fault) But I've been reading a lot of stuff like that, SSD's are still a new technology, theres a lot of things that could eat or brick an SSD, so it's kinda necessary to do a little reading/tiptoeing.

This is based a lot on what I'm reading from common hardware reviewers, given I have only had an SSD for 1 year.
skywolfblue
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Orbmiser on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Yep to me being dirt broke not seeing one in the next year.
Tho my 160gb WD drive has been going now for 5-6 years and still spinning away.

What makes sense to me is not to SSD everything. If needing to 2Tb then I would assign as separate Data: drive from SSD and not mixed in with system OS partition. I triple boot with Win7,Winxp & Linux all partitions are 35gb or smaller. With what's left over as a E:Data partition.

Main Data Movies,Images,Music,etc.. are stored to two external usb drives.
This cuts down on size and time required of backing up the OS'es partitions to external usb also.
And more inclined to do a 15-20min partition backup. Then an overnight 1-2TB backup.
My larger Data files are mirrored on 2 drives and automated so I don't have to deal with backing up a large set of files.

I could make do with even a 60-80gb SSD for OS'es only.
As don't see the speed need advantage of loading movies,images,docs,etc..
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby xenopeek on Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:23 pm

I just don't know what I'd use a 2 TB hard disk for? I'm using less than half of the 320 GB total disk space I have on my SSDs. "It's bigger" isn't an argument for me, as even now I have enough. SSDs are faster and silent and that's what sold them to me.

As for lifespan, I have no worries. My Intel X25-M has been operational since April 2009 (4.5 years). My OCZ Vertex 2 since October 2010 (3.2 years). Given how many VirtualBox images I have running and how many Linux distro ISOs I download, I estimate to have done at least 2 TB of writes on the OCZ Vertex 2 only from that. Both SSDs are fully healthy according to SMART, with no errors. So no worries on my end about lifespan, though there are of course crap-SSDs-r-us™ manufacturers and there lifespan could be an issue. Just look up reviews before you buy. http://www.storagereview.com/ has been doing excellent SSD reviews for years, with pointed opinions also about lifespan of reviewed modelsl.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Orbmiser on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:27 pm

I just don't know what I'd use a 2 TB hard disk for?

Yep many could get by with 1TB or even less for a lot of use and still store some personal files.

But in my production environment can get a bit daunting.

Images - over 42,000 Nikon Raw images taking up 404GB.
Music - My music collection accumulated over 15 years consists of over 1,000 CD's taking up 70Gb.
Over 5,000 Documents & eBooks taking another 18Gb.
Movies another 300-400GB's.
Games and not a whole lot but still taking up another 50GB or so.

And trying to back those up with the OS all in one partition. Is not an inviting proposition for me. :shock:
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby RacerBG on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Orbmiser wrote:
I just don't know what I'd use a 2 TB hard disk for?

Yep many could get by with 1TB or even less for a lot of use and still store some personal files.

My laptop have 320 GB HDD and when I am using Linux I never really exceed 100-150 GB usage. The main system is taking around 4-6 GB (my Windows 7 was using 20 GB!).

You have a first-generation SSD that's still working? That seems to be a rarity with what all the hardware reviewers are saying, about large numbers of early SSDs being filled with writes pretty fast because they didn't have good wear leveling. I'm glad to hear that yours still works, but my skeptical side wants another 2 years to see how SSDs in general fair.

No, this is normal HDD. :wink:

I refer to normal hard disk with HDD and SSD for SSD's. :D
Linux Mint User
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Postby skywolfblue on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:20 am

RacerBG wrote:No, this is normal HDD. :wink:

Ah, my bad then.

I read that sentence and mistakenly assumed that you were talking about SSDs and that "HDD" was a typo/mistake. Not the first time my brain has totally misinterpreted something. :lol:
skywolfblue
Level 2
Level 2

Postby RacerBG on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:41 am

skywolfblue wrote:
RacerBG wrote:No, this is normal HDD. :wink:

Ah, my bad then.

I read that sentence and mistakenly assumed that you were talking about SSDs and that "HDD" was a typo/mistake. Not the first time my brain has totally misinterpreted something. :lol:

No problems! When new technology comes around the corner everyone can make mistakes. :wink: Before around 2 months for first time I heard about SSD's and what to say? Back then the professor was talking about hybrid SSD + HDD combination and I was neutral. But now I see more and more separate SSD's and the laptops with HDD are disappearing little by little. So it is interesting time to discuss "The SSD revolution". :D
Linux Mint User
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mmix on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:45 am

speed vs space, that's just life style or depend on who..
lazy-eval on HDD is enough for me. ;)
mmix
Level 2
Level 2

Postby famicommander on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:36 pm

I am currently still using 7200 RPM HDDs. My gaming rig needs the space and it already runs and boots plenty fast for me. The laptop I may move over to an SSD if/when the HDD fails, but at present I don't think the performance increase is worth the price considering I have no complaints about how the machine currently runs.

I do know that the SSD in my old Asus EEE 901 is insanely slow, and it's an odd proprietary one that is a pain to replace. It was great when I got it but now it's barely faster than booting an OS from the onboard SD card reader; the performance degradation is extremely noticeable.
famicommander
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tomtiger on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi,

I usually have a 16GB Partition, easy to copy to memory sticks and the like (with tune2fs it is possible to change the UUID of a drive so these copies can be bootable). 3 years ago I bought a Kingston 16GB SSD, copied the system partition to that drive and used it (data like photos, videos, music, were still on my harddrive). I found no feelable advantage. Harddrive is a Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 that is pretty fast drive. Boot time (to the login window) went from about 20 to 15 seconds.

With Ubuntu 11.11 the SSD started to make problems, but that might have been because the computers SATA controller started to become "strange". I later gave it to a friend who put it into his windows notebook and there it was a dramatic speed improvement as boot drive.

I still have a Sun IPC from 1990 the 500MB SCSI harddrive works without a problem, the same is true for a 1991 Atari TT (that has a 1GB harddrive from around 1995). Of course these computers do not run more than a few times a year. ;) But 10 years of 24x7 are no real problem for older SCSI harddrives.

I would not replace a fast harddrive with a SSD (if there are no special reasons) but I am thinking about putting a 128GB SSD into my netbook to replace the incredibly slow 160GB harddrive. A fast harddrive will cost 55$ (250GB), a 128GB SSD is around 100$. No need for space here.

Tom
tomtiger
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Open chat