Wifi Direct. Is it a con?

Chat about just about anything else

Wifi Direct. Is it a con?

Postby viking777 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:29 am

The wifi alliance says this about wifi direct:

Wi-Fi Direct-certified devices can form connections with nearly all the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED devices you and your friends already have. You only need one Wi-Fi Direct device to form a group

Well I have one wifi direct certified device and about 10 various wifi certified devices dotted around the house, and every single one of them turns a deaf ear to my wifi direct device (a samsung galaxy phone) - all I ever get is "No devices found".

I guess that leaves four possibilities:

I am extremely unlucky in my choice of wifi devices - possible but not likely.

My wifi direct implementation on the galaxy is faulty.

I am missing something obvious but crucial - happens often.

The wifi alliance are exaggerating - happens very often, not just the wifi alliance, but every technology I have ever used.

I have viewed videos about how to connect with wifi direct, but they all seem to be about connecting two phones together, very often two phones that are both wifi direct certified. So tell me, has anybody ever succeeded in connecting a wifi direct device to a wifi only device as the quote above suggests is possible?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wifi Direct. Is it a con?

Postby kez on Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:07 pm

I would love to know if anyone has WiFi-Direct going on Linux Mint 16.
Seems astonishing that this is not a widespread technology on computers given the number of pics and mp3s that move between phones and laptops !!

Anyone managed it. How ?
kez
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Pilosopong Tasyo on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:10 am

viking777 wrote:I am missing something obvious but crucial...

I think it is the above. My guess, based on reading this page, tells me that the main problem is in the terminology/naming used to refer to certain things. E.g., "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED" (note the ALL CAPS) doesn't refer to those ordinary wireless adapters the likes of USB dongles, PCI cards, et al. "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED" is a proper name/proper term/trademark.

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED = Wi-Fi Direct = Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Wi-Fi Direct™

So, Wi-Fi Direct only works between/among devices that are marked/certified as Wi-Fi Direct devices. I used Wi-Fi Direct before, to transfer files between my smartphone and my nephew's tablet. Both devices are "Wi-Fi Direct" compliant (both from Samsung).
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Postby UlotraCronic on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:21 pm

viking777 wrote:The wifi alliance says this about wifi direct:

Wi-Fi Direct-certified devices can form connections with nearly all the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED devices you and your friends already have. You only need one Wi-Fi Direct device to form a group
--------SNIP2SAVE----------------?

I have a galaxy II Samsung and installed "Wifi-Files"(free) and it doesn't care about certs, it hosts a webpage and gives you the address so others that are on your network in the home side of the router [or wifi-box] can type the address in their browser and WALA file server shows up. Now safari on an IPad in their infinite wisdom doesn't support file downloading this way, nothing you can do about that accept get a real OS and a real Browser.
UlotraCronic
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Open chat