eeePC 900

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Re: eeePC 900

Post by yamawho »

New Eee product ASUS Eee Box to come with 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor paired with an Intel 945G chipset, 1GB of DDR2-667 memory (a single SO-DIMM module is installed) and a 160GB Seagate Momentus 5400.4 2.5" SATA hard drive.

More here ...

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=451
choupique

Post by choupique »

Dug up this thread to post my initial experience with my new 900A eeePc :!:
I've had the computer four days now. I bought mine at Best Buy - $299 model 900A white, Intel Atom 1.6 ghz, 4gig ssd, 1gig ram, no webcam, with linux.
I didn't update the BIOS. Already had plans to change the OS to something other than asus' onboard choice. I thought going in I would probably end up using Ubuntu eee, but wanted to try a couple others to compare. From what I had read, eeexubuntu and mandriva 2009-gnome had been used successfully by some. I didn't "dislike" either one, just didn't feel right. I could probably use them, but never felt comfortable. Once I used Ubuntu eee (third OS tried) as a live-usb, and I had everything working properly OTB to start with, it was easy to say goodbye to the onboard OS and let the install begin. Long story short, I'm enjoying the experience and it really helped to research for a couple of months before. My eeePC purchase vs. buying a msi wind/mini 9 dell/acer aspire one was made for much the same reason I ended up using ubuntu/mint, the community. HUGE community support and LOTS of eeePC guides and info out there.

Things to note:
I'm getting a little over 3 hours battery life(4cell), just using to web surf, email, video, music.
The "netbook remix" type menu included in Ubuntu eee makes a lot of sense with a smaller screen, and a tiny touchpad.
The full ubuntu-eee install with my included additions and deletions of favorites takes about 2.8 gigs, including a very small swap partition(which I'll probably delete).
Asus includes a "900A Linux recovery DVD Rev.1.1" in the box. Made my decision to trash the onboard OS much easier.
I was able to get updates from the ubuntu repository very easily after install.
The install is basically the same as an ubuntu install, but quite a bit slower with usb to ssd transfer.
I installed Ubuntu eee with cat 5 attached to my router - only time I've used the onboard ethernet port - internal atheros wireless works fine, five different places tried so far.
I had no problem adding my favorite programs, exaile, gthumb AND deleting several I don't use to save ssd space.
I find the Intel Atom to be fine for video and everything I've tried.
The keyboard is small, really takes time to get used to. The screen is a real winner, 1024x600 very nice.
I don't like the mouse buttons, too rigid for me.
Computer itself is silent and gets just a little warm on the bottom under processor - you can tell where it is.
Included in box: computer, charger(two prong plug), user manual, warranty card/book, quick start guide, battery, and the asus linux recovery dvd.
I'm using a kingston 4gig sd for my music/video/photos without any problem; Heard some had issues with certain sdhc cards. User manual gives a list of qualified peripherals including sd cards - it includes the kingston 4gig sd.
Best surprise: The last 10 pages of the eeePC user manual has the GNU GPL ver.2 written in full for all to read.

Install Note 1: After a usb install you need to comment out last line(something about ..cd 0,0...) in fstab(spelling) to properly automount sd and usb flash media.
Install Note 2: Not all of the usb ports work to boot from a usb drive. The one on the right front worked best for my usb flash drive boot/install.
choupique

Post by choupique »

It's been a year w eeebuntu on my 4g ssd "bestbuy special" eeePC 900a and I wanted to give an update.

I upgraded my hard drive from the slow onboard 4g ssd to the Super Talent FPM16GRSE 16g PCI-E SATA2 ssd and tried Mint 8 and Karmic 9.10 this past weekend. Made sure to upgrade to latest Asus bios and was careful with those two tiny ssd screws :)
Wow. It's like using another computer. No more waiting forever, and lots of space. I found both Mint 8 and standard Ubuntu worked fine.
I grew a little tired of the "netbook remix" style of eeebuntu/Ubuntu NBR and was ready to install the plain desktop version. Happy to report many improvements using Mint 8 (esp. sound, mouse trackpad behavior, video "hulu" much better).

Buying the SATA2 16g ssd was a perfect upgrade for this little machine.

Return to “Open Chat”