Showing Linux to Widows users

Chat about just about anything else

Re: Showing Linux to Widows users

Postby Fred on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:15 pm

iironjade,

It appears that your are a typical Windows convert who has been exposed to way too much Microsoft revisionist history and marketing. I do not mean this in a derogatory sense. Microsoft has expended untold Billions over the past 15 or so years to convince you that there is only one right way to look at and do things, and that is Microsoft's way.

I am reminded of a quote; "Facts do not cease to exist when they are ignored."

Microsoft has never been a technologically innovative company. I know, I was around and watched it all unfold from the very beginning. Even the MS basic that Bill Gates complained about people copying when the company was first started was derived from public domain and other code written by others. Microsoft has purchased or stolen almost all the so called innovative tech they ever had, with the possible exception of its' security model. And you see how good that is.

They weren't first with GUI apps, the windowed desktop concept, the mouse, the browser, the FAT file system, file compression, word processing, spread sheets, networking, or anything else that I can think of right off hand.

Microsoft has been a marketing and packaging company from day one. They have taken marketing and monopoly practices to a new here-to-fore unseen low. Any innovation attributed to Microsoft is to be found here, not in technology.

I would hope this would be viewed as just a fact or reality check and not Microsoft bashing, but that is too much to be hoped for. :-)

I am reminded of another quote. "Just because one is paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get them."

Fred
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby iironjade on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:22 pm

Fred wrote:iironjade,

It appears that your are a typical Windows convert who has been exposed to way too much Microsoft revisionist history and marketing. I do not mean this in a derogatory sense. Microsoft has expended untold Billions over the past 15 or so years to convince you that there is only one right way to look at and do things, and that is Microsoft's way.

I am reminded of a quote; "Facts do not cease to exist when they are ignored."

Microsoft has never been a technologically innovative company. I know, I was around and watched it all unfold from the very beginning. Even the MS basic that Bill Gates complained about people copying when the company was first started was derived from public domain and other code written by others. Microsoft has purchased or stolen almost all the so called innovative tech they ever had, with the possible exception of its' security model. And you see how good that is.

They weren't first with GUI apps, the windowed desktop concept, the mouse, the browser, the FAT file system, file compression, word processing, spread sheets, networking, or anything else that I can think of right off hand.

Microsoft has been a marketing and packaging company from day one. They have taken marketing and monopoly practices to a new here-to-fore unseen low. Any innovation attributed to Microsoft is to be found here, not in technology.

I would hope this would be viewed as just a fact or reality check and not Microsoft bashing, but that is too much to be hoped for. :-)

I am reminded of another quote. "Just because one is paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get them."

Fred

Marketing is, sadly, the name of the game. Linux has none to speak of, hence its low position on the OS totem pole.
MS aren't the only ones who like people to think they invented everything: Apple bought Itunes, rebranded it and everyone now thinks they created it.
I take your points but the fact remains that MS' marketing is quite brilliant and has virtually created the large scale uptake of home computers, like it or not. This is not to say that they should have everything their own way, although they probably will.
If the Linux community wants to be in more people's homes, it had better get working on some tv commercials. :)
Last edited by iironjade on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fred on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:14 pm

iironjade,

I grudgingly admit that you have valid points. :-)

Fred
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby iironjade on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:09 pm

Fred wrote:iironjade,

I grudgingly admit that you have valid points. :-)

Fred

I like to think I have the occasional lucid moment. Time for bed, it's been a long day. :)
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Previous

Return to Open chat