Iced Tea Java

Chat about just about anything else

Iced Tea Java

Postby exploder on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:31 pm

I have been trying Iced Tea Java and it seems to work very well. I know that Iced Tea Java is open source but how is it different from Sun Java? So far my experience with Iced Tea Java has been good, is there any disadvantages to using this over Sun Java? I have used Iced Tea Java to play quite a few online games and it works perfectly.

I am looking for opinions, comments.

Thanks!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Iced Tea Java

Postby BlahBlah_X on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:07 pm

Java is a Sun product that is closed source. Recently, they were interested in releasing Java under an open source license. However, they couldn't release it that way because small portions of java had already been licensed to other companies.

Instead, they took the part that belonged to them, made it open source, and have been trying to fill the gaps since by working backwards. However, this has not made a perfect final product. Therefore, they had to release this as a separate testing project called Iced Tea. There is a similar situation with the open source drivers made by the community for hardware from companies such as ATI and Nvidia. The community works backwards and tries to do the best they can, but the product is not always stable or completely functional.

So what are the disadvantages of using Iced Tea? For the casual Java user, not much. Some of the parts that were missing, like the font renderer, may slightly decrease the user experience, but there shouldn't be major issues. However, some advanced Java functions may not work. If you haven't experienced any issues so far, I would say you would be fine sticking with Iced Tea. The only thing I could think of is a possible performance hit, but I haven't heard of this happening before.

Just a question: Why use IcedTea? If you especially wanted to use open source alternatives, you probably don't want to use Linux Mint (other than the light edition). However, there is one advantage of IcedTea: in countries with strict software patents (like the US, Japan, etc...) open source alternatives like IcedTea are legal in open source distros, unlike their proprietary counterparts. Also, if you were interested in investigating more in open source alternatives, you can install the Gnash flash player (search it in synaptic). This replaces Flash, but may not fulfill your Flash needs. Currently, there aren't really open source handlers for commercial DVDs, mp3s, wma, etc... although you could support open source by using their alternative completely open source formats like .ogg and Theora video. Or, you could use more mainstream formats that are closed source, but not as locked down, such as mp4, avi, etc...
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby exploder on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:37 am

Java is a Sun product that is closed source. Recently, they were interested in releasing Java under an open source license. However, they couldn't release it that way because small portions of java had already been licensed to other companies.

This is what I was wondering about! I live in the US and would prefer to have a legal system if possible and this fills one of the voids. I am not a purist as far as that goes and have nothing against using proprietary software, graphics drivers,etc. I know that Mepis provides most of the multimedia capabilities "out of the box" and it is US based. My main goal is to put LinuxMint on business machines in the US. I am trying to figure out what I could legally use on business machines.

I know for example that I can not install libdvdcss2 on business machines because of patent laws but some things fall into a grey area. I have tried Gnash as a replacement for Flash and it falls short at this time. I believe that I can use Flash because of how it is licensed.

Thanks for answering my question on functionality. Iced Tea seems acceptable for the most part for most people.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby williamspajr on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 pm

I use iced tea because it resolved a problem with MIRO not loading.
williamspajr

Postby Dandapani on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:20 pm

The Iced Tea browser plugin didn't work with my companies VPN applet on my Fedora 9 Linux box. I had to d/l Sun's Linux jre to get it to work properly. Other, less demanding applets ran fine, however.
Dandapani

Return to Open chat