Windows 7 64bit will not install in Virtual Box

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Incentive I.C

Re: Windows 7 64bit will not install in Virtual Box

Post by Incentive I.C »

wayne128 wrote:While you have you guest OS running select "install guest additions" from the devices menu.
Reboot when prompted and when it comes back up host + F should take it to full screen.
You may need to readjust you resolution and color depth.
Thank you wayne128 i will try that but i am pretty sure i have to have internet access right?
Speaking of colors i also get a message saying i am in 24bit color instead of 32bit. Do you know how i could also correct this.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

The Guest Additions are usually installed when your VirtualBox client is installed.

To support 32-bit color instead of 24-bit color, your will need 256 times the amount of RAM for your video that you presently have designated and/or installed on your video card.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

cwsnyder wrote:The Guest Additions are usually installed when your VirtualBox client is installed.

To support 32-bit color instead of 24-bit color, your will need 256 times the amount of RAM for your video that you presently have designated and/or installed on your video card.
You sure about that? i have been doing a bit of research on the problem and it seems that the resolution is a plain 24 bit with 8 bits of alpha (transparency)and transparency doesn't count in Linux so there really is no 32bit resolution. So should i just ignore the message?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Nope. Not sure at all. I never try for high color resolution, so I didn't research. I also use the 'motherboard based' video (nVidia GeForce 7025) included in my machine.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

So it seems everything is working just fine with virtual box(Areo even work now!) but there is a problem. Ever time i fire up the internet or just do something for an extended period of time the CPU goes ape and gets very very loud! I look in the process manger to see the one of the virtual box processing using 105% of my CPU.105%!?(yeah i can not have that going on) ridiculous! Do you know any way i can get the CPU down to a reasonable state because 105% causes a reasonable amount of heat and that is not a good thing.
Also even when i turn the Virtual box off and the Cpu goes down the fan is still quite loud and i have to let the computer cool a bit by turning it off.....
It doesn't really slow anything down but the loud fan and the extra heat is irritating

I have seen that the command

Code: Select all

date -s "$(LC_ALL=C date)" 
might help but i have not used it as i do not want to mess anything up.....

By the way the Cpu is a Intel dual core 2 processor if that helps.I have heard making a Virtual guest with minimum specs and everything disabled(sound,etc) and giving it nothing to boot from will cause it to fail and that helps the CPU.But thats not really a solution more of a workaround. more on that is right here http://r3dux.org/2009/11/how-to-fix-vir ... 9-10-host/
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

Honestly, with a dual core CPU like you are using, I'm very surprised both cores don't run at 105% all the time....

You are using a limited processor to run two 64 Bit OS's simultaniously. You also do not use nearly enough RAM IMHO. I have a feeling your processor usage is going to be high (and hot) regardless of what you do to your Windows guest.

One thing I would consider is limiting your processor speed (and thus heat) using CPU on demand in Mint, (it's built in, I acess it with a panel widget.)

And congratulations on getting Aero working, you've managed something that I cannot.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

xclusive585 wrote:Honestly, with a dual core CPU like you are using, I'm very surprised both cores don't run at 105% all the time....
Well the computer is a generation old compared to newer ones and it is almost 4 years old but it was rather impressive compared to other Over the counter computers for its time. 2.1 Ghz was pretty good for a laptop then.
xclusive585 wrote:You are using a limited processor to run two 64 Bit OS's simultaniously. You also do not use nearly enough RAM IMHO. I have a feeling your processor usage is going to be high (and hot) regardless of what you do to your Windows guest.
I have offical decided on using 32 bit Os right now which means i am using Linux mint 32bit and windows 7 32bit :)
xclusive585 wrote: And congratulations on getting Aero working, you've managed something that I cannot.
I can tell you what i did as with the instructions i followed alot of people also found it successful :D
xclusive585 wrote:One thing I would consider is limiting your processor speed (and thus heat) using CPU on demand in Mint, (it's built in, I acess it with a panel widget.)
Sounds cool i shall give it a try! But is that the only way. I have heard it is a bug in VBox and VMware doesn't do that Cpu spike thing.

Return to “Open Chat”