Opinions? Why is Sun JDK 6 required by so many?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
GoatZz

Opinions? Why is Sun JDK 6 required by so many?

Post by GoatZz »

Things like the Jetbrains IDE family, Eclipse (Aptana Studio), even to run Minecraft... one needs Sun JDK 6 installed to make them work. Why do you suppose this is such a requirement and so many software choices haven't moved to support OpenJDK and Java7?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Opinions? Why is Sun JDK 6 required by so many?

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know. Minecraft works perfectly fine with OpenJDK 6. As do most applications. OpenJDK 7 is the reference implementation for Oracle Java 7, so there it should make even less of a difference if you don't use the restricted version (i.e., Oracle).
GoatZz

Post by GoatZz »

I'll give it a shot with OpenJDK 6. It beats farting around with various PPA's
chillecharlie

Post by chillecharlie »

That is so not true, Minecraft doesnt work at all with OpenJDK, or well, it lags like hell compared to Oracle Java 6 JRE or Oracle Java 7 JRE, in my experience it runs most smooth on Oracle java 7.
I have extensively tested it, i own a very very popular Minecraft server in the Netherlands, one of the top servers in our country, and trust me on this, If you play Minecraft, install Oracle!

Return to “Open Chat”