A POST issue after update

Chat about just about anything else

A POST issue after update

Postby leopoldbirkholm on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:00 am

Hello follow Mints,

I have a Dell Latitude E4300. It works very well and I have tried my way back and forth with Linux the last couple of months. I decided to try out the Cinnamon enviroment but now I have a hickup.

I installed the Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 32-bit system on the Dell. Rebooted, installed the locked driver and did an update of the system. Upon prompt, I did a re-boot. Then I got some strange POST-message saying “You need to de-frag your RAM”. I’m thinking “Da F*q?” but OK. It’s a BIOS-message so I started the process. The process has now halted at this image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r5fvtoudzhk4 ... .32.13.jpg

The screen is somewhat black and blue with blue lines and an odd mass of blue in the center.

I do need help here. First of all, anyone give me a search-string? Like “You should search for this and this”. If you have the time and the will, please, write a few lines of what might cause this. I would greatly appreciated it. :D

What have I done so far then? Searched for “defrag ram” on the Internet. Seems to be a scam aimed at Microsoft users. I was thinking of searching for “blue screen” but that is not quite the issue here. It’s a blue screen but not from a Microsoft crash. So right now I am just standing at the computer with no idea on what to troubleshoot.
Yes, I will write something insightfull here :D

Two good books in your shelf:
Ubuntu for non-geeks 4:th edition and Linux in a Nutshell 6:th edition
leopoldbirkholm
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: A POST issue after update

Postby palo on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:06 am

Could not find anything in a search either. In most cases a reboot clears ram but I remember reading somewhere that sometimes a certain bit of video memory can be retained on a reboot - a different result from a shutdown and boot. You can call Dell maybe for advice but if it were me... first step would be shutdown, wait, and then cold boot.
~/mintmaya/xfce/enlightenment
Help Vampires: A Spotter's Guide
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby leopoldbirkholm on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:14 am

@ palo, just a reboot is suuch a Microsoft way of solving problems, if you may excuse my sense of humor. :)

Yeah, I got some more. I rebooted and went into the BIOS to check settings. Love fiddling with BIOS. It can be so fun. :mrgreen:

OK, so I turn it of. Look into the BIOS and set the settings to make a full POST check. Done and done. I click "Exit". On this BIOS it means shutdown so I turn it on again. This time I have the time to notice the error message. It says "The memory has been changed. Press F1 to continue, F2 to abort and F5 to run further diagnostic"

OK, because I love run diagnostic I must have pressed "F5". That solved the "why did I get this problem" - I runed diagnostic. That remains is "what is this problem".
Yes, I will write something insightfull here :D

Two good books in your shelf:
Ubuntu for non-geeks 4:th edition and Linux in a Nutshell 6:th edition
leopoldbirkholm
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:00 am

How old is the laptop? If the battery on the motherboard is dead, the BIOS can't remember anything and you might get strange messages like these.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Open chat