Laptop Suggestions?

Chat about just about anything else

Laptop Suggestions?

Postby willy_36 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:24 pm

I am looking for the best laptop under $1500 I can get. I've looked around and since this is open chat I was just wondering what the Mint Community suggested. I don't care about weight I mostly want power.

thanks,

willy_36
willy_36
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Laptop Suggestions?

Postby belovedmonster on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:55 am

I've heard good things about the Dell XPS series, and you can get them Ubuntu in the US so that's gotta bode well in terms of getting all the multimedia buttons and other bits and pieces to work flawlessly with Mint.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:02 am

willy_36,

I have had very good luck with this outfit. Good quality and they actually honor their warranties.

http://www.zareason.com/shop/home.php

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby rivenought on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:53 am

I would give serious consideration the the open source offerings by Dell. While I am not a huge fan of Dell, they seem to be giving it an effort. If it runs Ubuntu, it certainly should run Mint. My experiences in rescuing Dell computers from the horrors of Windows have been positive. I have installed openSUSE, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, and Mandriva on assorted Dell hardware. No problems thus far. I just wish Dell would make the link to the open source machines much easier to find on their site. Have fun with your research.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby willy_36 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:52 pm

I was looking at some Sony Laptops and found the Sony Vaio VGN-FZ4000 and configured it to order. It comes with windows vista home which I plan on uninstalling immediately but it would be nice to have a copy in case I give it to a family member when it grows too old. Any way here are some specs. From my limited knowledge they look pretty darn good.
$1169.99

Intel® Core 2™ Duo Processor T8100 (2.1GHz)
Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1
4 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-667, 2 GBx2)
160GB Hybrid Hard Disk Drive
DVD±R DL / DVD±RW / DVD-RAM Drive
LCD 15.4" WXGA (XBRITE-ECO™) with integrated video camera
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GT
WLAN (802.11a/b/g/n) with integrated Bluetooth® technology
Black
Standard Battery (BPS8)

A dell with those same specs was about 2 G's. Is this a good deal or am I missing something? Thanks for the suggestions so far. Those zareason laptops look good too.

willy_36
willy_36
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Open chat