Cinnamon!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Scorpio_Snake

Cinnamon!

Post by Scorpio_Snake »

I am not currently using Linux Mint (don't shoot me!). However I have heard a lot about Cinnamon and thought this morning I would install it on my Debian Sid laptop to give it a try. My impression? Awesome!! I have actually been a fan of Gnome Shell but Cinnamon takes it and improves it, combining the best elements from Gnome Shell and Gnome 2. Great job! Good bye Gnome Shell, Hello Cinnamon!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Cinnamon!

Post by nomko »

Cinnamon runs on Gnome3, not Gnome2.
Scorpio_Snake

Post by Scorpio_Snake »

nomko wrote:Cinnamon runs on Gnome3, not Gnome2.
I know. I am just saying that Cinnamon gives features similar to what was in Gnome 2 that are not in Gnome Shell.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Scorpio_Snake wrote:Cinnamon gives features similar to what was in Gnome 2 that are not in Gnome Shell.
What kind of features you're talking about? Cinnamon for me is a great DE with a classical look but i never looked at features.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Nomko, who bit your arse? The OP is simply saying how much he enjoys Cinnamon, and your posts read as though you have jumped down his/her throat.

For the record, there are a number of features that Cinnamon offers that I consider improvements over other desktops. Firstly, being able to interact with it as a proper desktop PC userspace is a very important "feature". Secondly, the workspace management is second to none. Thirdly, the customisation it offers the user is superb, especially compared to Gnome 3/Shell and Unity. I guess generally, it's pretty impressive.

Which is what the OP was saying.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Condorman wrote:Nomko, who bit your arse? The OP is simply saying how much he enjoys Cinnamon, and your posts read as though you have jumped down his/her throat
Who bit your ass??? I was just asking about the features the OP mentioned... Go see your shrink...
Scorpio_Snake

Post by Scorpio_Snake »

nomko wrote:
Scorpio_Snake wrote:Cinnamon gives features similar to what was in Gnome 2 that are not in Gnome Shell.
What kind of features you're talking about? Cinnamon for me is a great DE with a classical look but i never looked at features.
In general, it is the customization. Like I said, I have been using Gnome Shell for awhile (and Unity some). Before that I had used Gnome 2 for a long time. Installing Cinnamon was like a breathe of fresh air. It reminded me of all the things I was missing with the transfer to Gnome 3 and Shell. I can do a lot more with the desktop to get things they way I like them and that work for me instead of just dealing with what is handed to me.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Good to hear, Scorpio - Cinnamon is going from strength to strength, fast.
nomko

Post by nomko »

bimsebasse wrote:Good to hear, Scorpio - Cinnamon is going from strength to strength, fast.
Cinnamon looks much better than Unity and the Gnome3 shell. It provides users a classical looking menu structure and simple and easy to use desktop environment. Of all the DE's i've been working with Cinnamon feels really good. MATE was good to, but has it's (Gnome2) limitations. I don't know why the MATE developers translate MATE for fully Gnome3 instead of going further on the Gnome2 fork road. If MATE become fully Gnome3 we would have 2 excellent Gnome3 DE's for Mint, each with his own appearence and feel/look.

However, i also find Cinnamon a little buggy here and there. For instance: I'm a Dutch user and when i install Mint+Cinnamon and remove all non-Dutch language packages, the Cinnamon menu still appears half in English, half in Dutch. This is really annoying since i know i removed all non-Dutch language packages. This has to be solved. And also all Cinnamon settings should be centralized in a clear and concise menu where all settings available can be found.

Oh yes, that hot corner or hot window thingy i mentioned often. This should be fixed also. For me, the solutions given in the last link didn't worked.
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p649432
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p649606
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p649715

But in overall, i'm really pleased with Cinnamon!
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

are you telling me that cinnamon is a mouth of fresh air in comparison with gnome-shell? i think you are joking!

cinnamon is like W7 DE but much more buggy.....gnome-shell is the future.
nomko

Post by nomko »

richardsdma wrote:are you telling me that cinnamon is a mouth of fresh air in comparison with gnome-shell? i think you are joking!

Ofcourse Cinnamon is buggy, it is still under development. Do you really think W7 is much stable? Then use W7 instead!

Gnome shell looks nice, but with all those big buttons it's more like a DE for dummies.... Compared to Gnome2 it has been stripped from a lot of things which experinced users are lacking now. Even die-hard Ubuntu users are installing Cinnamon now as the DE since they dislike Gnome3 DE and Unity DE. Cinnamon does have a future, but is should be much better developed and made much lesser buggier. But the potential is there!
Last edited by nomko on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

nomko wrote:
richardsdma wrote:are you telling me that cinnamon is a mouth of fresh air in comparison with gnome-shell? i think you are joking!

Ofcourse Cinnamon is a buggy, it is still under development. Do you really think W7 is much stable? Then use W7 instead!

Gnome shell looks n ice, but with all those big buttons it's more like a DE for dummies.... Compared to Gnome2 it has been stripped from a lot of things which experinced users are lacking now. Even die-hard Ubuntu users are installing Cinnamon now as the DE since they dislike Gnome3 DE and Unity DE. Cinnamon does have a future, but is should be much better developed and made much lesser buggier. But the potential is there!
Yes of course Cinnmaon is going to be buggy but it still being under development has really nothing to do with it being buggy actually it being under development is whats going to make it less buggy. Better development will come after all it has a huge team supporting it after and plus Cinnamon is barely more than a year old give it some time. But i have had some causes were cinnamon has crashed a few times because of themes and applets and sometimes it just restarts its self after crashing but i am patient with it because i know it is quite new. Cinnamon will get there in time. The reason for Cinnamon being buggy for some people is there computers specs. Cinnamon uses 3D acceleration which old computer will not like. Cinnamon 2D is not for normal log ins trust me it makes my CPU work like crazy probably because it has to render the graphics. But cinnamon does have a future!
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

nomko wrote:

Ofcourse Cinnamon is a buggy, it is still under development. Do you really think W7 is much stable? Then use W7 instead!

Gnome shell looks n ice, but with all those big buttons it's more like a DE for dummies.... Compared to Gnome2 it has been stripped from a lot of things which experinced users are lacking now. Even die-hard Ubuntu users are installing Cinnamon now as the DE since they dislike Gnome3 DE and Unity DE. Cinnamon does have a future, but is should be much better developed and made much lesser buggier. But the potential is there!
can you name one usefull feature that is in gnome 2 and it is missing from gnome 3?
there are already lots of extensions for gnome-shell.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

can you name one usefull feature that is in gnome 2 and it is missing from gnome 3?
there are already lots of extensions for gnome-shell.
I have to agree with you. I have Gnome Shell on my laptop and Cinnamon on my desktop and both have all of the features I enjoyed in Gnome 2x.
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

https://extensions.gnome.org/

needless to say thet is much more easier to install shell expensions on gnome-shell than some goddamn applets or extensions in cinnamon.
and one more good thing about gnome-shell: have you notiticed that applets dont move its position randomly in panel as in gnome 2.xx or cinnamon?
Scorpio_Snake

Post by Scorpio_Snake »

richardsdma wrote:https://extensions.gnome.org/

needless to say thet is much more easier to install shell expensions on gnome-shell than some goddamn applets or extensions in cinnamon.
and one more good thing about gnome-shell: have you notiticed that applets dont move its position randomly in panel as in gnome 2.xx or cinnamon?
I have not tried to install any applets or extensions yet so I don't know how hard it is.

I have not noticed any applets moving around on the panel. Which version of Cinnamon have you used? I am using 1.6.2, which is what is in the Debian Sid repos.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

richardsdma wrote:https://extensions.gnome.org/

The fan boy p*ssing contest is a bit pointless, but how do you reorder panel buttons in gnome shell? How do you choose between four different alt tab views? How do you with a click disable notifications? How do you set not one but all four screen corners to be hot corners and assign a different action to each? How do you easily set panel size and panel autohide? How do you enable advanced workspaces control?

You cannot achieve Cinnamon's level of configurability in Gnome Shell by piling on extensions, not even close. And this comes from one who likes both Gnome shell and Cinnamon. They serve different purposes.
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

come on...all those options that you mentioned are pretty useless for the bulk of the users.
i am concerned about it to be solid rock. i use gnome for its simplicity and if i really want to have much more configuration option i will go for mint KDE.
what the 1% of desktop market is telling you?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"reorder panel buttons,with a click disable notifications,easily set panel size and panel autohide"
I Use those and necessary for me.

I'm One of those Bulk of user's which many are in favor of customizing and freedom to adjust that might not like KDE.

http://www.datamation.com/osrc/article. ... d-Cons.htmGNOME 3: Seven Pros and Cons

Need for Hardware Acceleration where users only option is non-stable proprietary ,No Icons on the Desktop,Insufficient Distinction on the Dash,No Panel Applets.

May be issues for many users! You say if you want more configuration then you go to KDE. What if you don't like KDE? Then what.
This way for me I can stick with Gnome and still have my cake like many others.

Your logic doesn't stand up as someone wanting more customization than Gnome 3 can then go Cinnamon with same framework which is more logical than jumping all the way to KDE. Sorry don't understand your hate towards cinnamon for it's customizing in same family but then you are willing to leave altogether to KDE for exactly what Cinnamon is trying to do.
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

i am pretty sure that if we would have 100 DE on the market, the market will be split to thease 100 DE....but will they be stable?
you need to understand that a DE is a framework and has to be very stable. in the end, you dont sit in front of the computer and stare at the desktop. you use some apps.
what i mean is that, instead of having dozens of DE full of bugs, we better have 2-3 quality DE with large teams behind them.
from my experience, i recently upgraded my cinnamon 1.4 to 1.6 on mint 13 and enforces my opinion that cinnamon is a waste of time (also like mate, unity)
gnome-shell runs way faster than cinnamon on my machine (dell inspirion 1521) and i dont have proprietary graphic driver.
unfortunally, in the meantime, i lost my sVideo output, it doesnt work anymore. see, the community should focus on REAL issue, not DE.

Return to “Open Chat”