Open Minds for Linux

Chat about just about anything else

Open Minds for Linux

Postby Zen Mod on Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:56 pm

I'm completely new on this forum, except for contributing in one case, nonetheless, I'm overwhelmed with feeling I could only describe as being in limbo between fear and irritation. Except Mint Daryna which I have on both my laptop and desktop PC, I have a minimalized XP installation on my laptop (need it because of a single business application - doesn't work with wine) and also have a minimalized Ubuntu on one partition (just a few apps). I'm completely satisfied with every aspect of Linux Mint, and found absolutely no reason to complain or ask for help. That is why I have it on both my machines and cary the *.iso file around on my USB stick (to share if anyone...)

I'm also registered on Ubuntuforums and the Serbian Ubuntu Forum. What bothers me that I got the feeling that on the Serbian Ubuntu Forum it is allowed to mention Windows but only if it's subjected to a joke/bashing that I personally don't even find to be funny anymore. I got that strange feeling like I'm in a military training camp where we are the good guys and the other ones are the bad guys, and that's including... Just about everyone else. In the so called off-topic/chat section/forum, mention windows or MS for that matter and ask a question or at least avoid to say anything really bad about the company or their product, and either the subject is immediately locked or someone else will say something that will invoke the lock.

I don't have that feeling here or on other Linux related forums, or people hide that hatred very well. I must be wrong, but I do have to ask a question and please let me read at least one reasonable answer to it before the subject gets locked to avoid further problems: Is it necesary to hate someone else to be able to belong to a community that shares a common thing? Do I have to hate MS to be a "good" Linux user? I hope not... I really do, because if "yes" is the answer, then I will rather go back to be an ignorant MS product user. They don't seem to be sharing that (at least for me) energy wasting and at least very strongly pronunced "issue" with the alternative free software existence... In any case I will continue using Linux because I found it to suit me better than Windows, but not because I have problems with MS. If Linux keeps in the direction it seems to be heading, MS will surely have big problems in the near future selling their product, but not because it's not good, but because there is a wide choice of better solutions. Please feel free to comment within already accepted forum rules. I will have absolutely no hard feelings if this topic gets a lock, but then, I am afraid, I will have to take that as a yes I was wishing not to hear, and unfortunately will have to live without Linux forums because I already see that "Humanity to Others" is actually very picky about who "others" might be. English is not my native tongue and please don't take my gramatical and spelling errors against me.

Robert Stein
Everything has an end, sausages, however, have two...Image
Zen Mod
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Open Minds for Linux

Postby Zwopper on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:06 pm

Welcome to the Linux Mint family!
Let's hope you stay long!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Zen Mod on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:12 pm

As stated, no intention to leave, just have to know (got no answer, tho)... :mrgreen:
Zen Mod
Level 1
Level 1

Postby donec on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi Robert Stein, I know exactly what you mean and from what I have seen on this forum (I am new here also) this topic will not be locked and you may well find people that agree with you. I don't like forums that have a lot of bashing but I don't like forums that restrict free speech or have narrow minds either. I feel doing all this bashing gives the wrong impression to new users and I personally think that most of the Linux community is better than that but sometimes they just don't show it (it seems here they do mostly show they are better than that). I think this is a good topc.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:11 pm

Reminds me of the South Park episode where everyone starts driving Hybrid cars and become smug and arrogant about it. People love the smell of their own farts! :lol: It's a form of elitism, a true measure of the great connoisseur in all of us. Whether it's concerning religion, politics, or technology, most people operate under the assumption that "I am right and everyone else is wrong, people are either A) Stupid, or B) Ignorant, to not think or believe what I think or believe".
It's fun and rewarding to bash and reject the ideas one once kept, a good riddance of sorts. Add in the factor that more people are doing it, and well, lets jump on the ole' bandwagon folks - It's comfy there.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby MALsPa on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:48 pm

Is it necesary to hate someone else to be able to belong to a community that shares a common thing?

It isn't necessary, but it sure does seem that a lot of people think so! Even between Linux distros, there's so much hatred shown at certain forums for other distros. It's quite childish. There's a lot to like and enjoy about most operating systems and Linux distros.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby NoClue! on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:27 pm

We discuss other os's and distros here all the time. One of the best ways to get better is to stay aware.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zen Mod on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:16 am

Just to test if I was right, I started a new topic in a similar "off topic" section, called it (roughly translated) "Million reasons to use Linux" and mentioned how happy I am for not being limited to MS products because the new SP1 for Vista seems to be buggy, yet they decided to release it, never mind... The admin locked it immediately. That means I was right, it's blind hatred and no reason for me to stay there. Glad that I can say that here without being bashed and sanctioned. Thanks to everyone for understanding and encouragement.
Zen Mod
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:27 am

Zen Mod,

About all I can say is that the other forum is much poorer without you and your input. Their loss is certainly Mint's gain, I say. While I may not post much, I do read and learn as much as I can in here. Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee, and feel free to hang out with us.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:31 am

Zen Mod
Welcome to Mint
Your thoughts are interesting. Someone else recently mentioned that if we only mention Microsoft as Microso$f or Windoze or... and bash it all the time people might see that as really bad behavior and will stay away from Linux
As long as this discussion is in this section it's a good thing to have.
I rarely lock a topic - if so it either has to be really stupid or people are starting to call each other names....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Zen Mod on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:19 pm

I'm primarily music lover, audiophile, sort of. DIY fan, fiddling with electron tubes, HT stuff (as in High Tension, high-voltage), speakers and design and build recumbents for living. there's enough stress in my everyday life to waste what's left of my common sense and reason to fight something I don't feel threatened by.
If something is topic, I either stay on topic or keep reading. If something is off topic and declared as such, I presume that I am not obliged to talk about the same things I would talk about where it is the topic. So, freedom finally, and elegant :wink:
Will not bore anyone further. You will not see me provoke or "jump in" where that admins or moderators should take action. That is why I chose my nick to be Zen Moderator, but to avoid confusion I am happy to keep it short. Hope I'll find myself useful one day.
Zen Mod
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Acid_1 on Fri May 02, 2008 2:56 am

Husse wrote:Zen Mod
Welcome to Mint
Your thoughts are interesting. Someone else recently mentioned that if we only mention Microsoft as Microso$f or Windoze or... and bash it all the time people might see that as really bad behavior and will stay away from Linux
As long as this discussion is in this section it's a good thing to have.
I rarely lock a topic - if so it either has to be really stupid or people are starting to call each other names....

How stupid does it have to be, stinky one :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:

jkjk lol
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Fri May 02, 2008 5:17 am

Open Minds for Linux

The thread title reminds me of a couple of quotes. :-)

Guess it is time for bed. lol

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded, their brains have fallen out.

With sufficient thrust, pigs can fly just fine.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby tuddy666 on Sun May 04, 2008 1:10 pm

Well, I'll admit I make jokes about windows sometimes (not FUNNY jokes, but jokes nonetheless), but I don't hate it (I'll admit it has its uses), yet the blatant fanboyism (alongside elitism) in some linux communities (populated by "mature" adults) reminds me of the nintendo europe forums (populated by 12 year-olds who know no better).

Anyway, welcome to the Mint forums.
Thanks to Zwopper for this image.
"So Zetta Slow!"
tuddy666
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Open chat