Cinnamon with Unity Dash?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
viking777

Re: Cinnamon with Unity Dash?

Post by viking777 »

AnonKS wrote:What pushed me off Ubuntu and towards mint was the addition of "unity-lens-shopping" in Ubuntu 12.10. To have spyware in a Linux distro is utterly disgusting. With that said, unity isn't so bad if you have extra memory to burn. Cinnamon is just awesome though. I find it pretty cool that someone put the 2 together. Free as in freedom, right?

Sent from my Evo 3D GSM using Tapatalk 2
Unity-lens-shopping is an abomination, but luckily an abomination you can easily remove. If it ever gets to the stage when you can't remove it I will probably join you and stop using Ubuntu, but I have the earnest hope that before that day arrives (or maybe not long after it) someone will present a fork of Unity without the abominations Ubuntu have introduced. I really hope so because even like it is now, I still think Unity is the best DE Linux has ever had.

You are right about its memory usage though, it is heavy (almost double that of Cinnamon on my system with the same programs open). Yet another mistake that Canonical made with Unity is basing it on that memory killer compiz. More memory cycles and developers brain cycles have been wasted on that piece of junk than any other stand alone program of comparable size I can think of. And for what? To make it look like Windows, that is for what - brilliant work guys :evil:

I understand that Canonical have taken their development plans for the next release of Ubuntu behind closed doors instead of sharing them publicly, you can't wonder at it if they are going to come up with any more gems like Amazon search results.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

nomko wrote:The whole idea (IMHO) of Cinnamon is to provide a DE without that (horrible) Unity and/or Dash forked from Gnome3. IF you want Dash/Unity, then install Ubuntu and wipe Mint off your computer!
totally agree. adding unity to cinnamon would ruin the whole look feel and simplicity of this fine distro.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

powerhouse wrote: Looking at LM 14 Maya, unity-2d is available for installation,
i don't have mint 13 or mint 14 anymore installed but in raring unity-2d is a dummy package

Code: Select all

zerozero@zerozero-at-nadia:~$ dpkg -l | grep unity-2d
ii  unity-2d                                  6.12.0daily13.01.21-0ubuntu1                                        all          transitional dummy package
ii  unity-2d-common                           6.12.0daily13.01.21-0ubuntu1                                        all          transitional dummy package
ii  unity-2d-panel                            6.12.0daily13.01.21-0ubuntu1                                        all          transitional dummy package
ii  unity-2d-shell                            6.12.0daily13.01.21-0ubuntu1                                        all          transitional dummy package
ii  unity-2d-spread                           6.12.0daily13.01.21-0ubuntu1                                        all          transitional dummy package

Code: Select all

zerozero@zerozero-at-nadia:~$ dpkg -L unity-2d unity-2d-common unity-2d-panel unity-2d-shell unity-2d-spread
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d/copyright
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d/changelog.Debian.gz

/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-common
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-common/copyright
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-common/changelog.Debian.gz

/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-panel
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-panel/copyright
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-panel/changelog.Debian.gz

/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-shell
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-shell/copyright
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-shell/changelog.Debian.gz

/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-spread
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-spread/copyright
/usr/share/doc/unity-2d-spread/changelog.Debian.gz
zerozero@zerozero-at-nadia:~$ 
viking777

Post by viking777 »

It is definitely possible zz, I had Unity as my default desktop on MInt 13 and it worked perfectly. I haven't bothered on Mint 14 because I like using Cinnamon sometimes as well (and if I put Unity on 14 I would just use that all the time, I know it). The trouble is though you still get compiz when you install unity on Mint, even unity-2d. So you are still stuck with that memory hog like it or not so it isn't worth it imho. Now if you could get Unity working with Muffin that might be a different story.

Return to “Open Chat”