Linux Mint - not for the amateur

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
cicero01

Re: Linux Mint - not for the amateur

Post by cicero01 »

Well it finally seems to be stable so what I need to know now is how do I buy an external DVD writer and HDD
that Mint will recognise as the external USB HDD I have now is invisible to it!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That depends. Is your USB port recognized? Say, if you attach a mouse or keyboard to it--do those work? Or do you have a bigger problem, with your USB port not being recognized.

Before you buy something new, perhaps, if you haven't already, post on the hardware support section of the forum the make & model of your USB hard disk and ask for help on getting it to work?

If you want to buy something new, research it a bit for Linux compatibility (if you do an Internet search for the make and model of the device you intend to buy, and add the word "Ubuntu" or "Linux", and you find nothing but bug reports and problems from other users, perhaps skip it). You can also check the Community site, where there is a hardware database you can search: http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/welcome. Linux Mint users post their experience with their hardware devices and peripherals there.
cicero01

Post by cicero01 »

xenopeek wrote:That depends. Is your USB port recognized? Say, if you attach a mouse or keyboard to it--do those work? Or do you have a bigger problem, with your USB port not being recognized.

Before you buy something new, perhaps, if you haven't already, post on the hardware support section of the forum the make & model of your USB hard disk and ask for help on getting it to work?

If you want to buy something new, research it a bit for Linux compatibility (if you do an Internet search for the make and model of the device you intend to buy, and add the word "Ubuntu" or "Linux", and you find nothing but bug reports and problems from other users, perhaps skip it). You can also check the Community site, where there is a hardware database you can search: http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/welcome. Linux Mint users post their experience with their hardware devices and peripherals there.
Hi, mate
'
USB ports are OK no problems with other kit assume drivers the problem?

Some good advice as well thanks.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

cicero01 wrote:Well it finally seems to be stable so what I need to know now is how do I buy an external DVD writer and HDD
that Mint will recognise.........
I've been using a ASUS Model SDRW-08D2S-U for a couple years now. Works great. Requires two adjacent USB ports.

Keep in mind the inital ability to recognise the external device falls within your BIOS.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep must be specific to motherboard bios and usb?

As just have 2 generic external usb Ntfs drives and every linux distro about 6 different disto's I have thrown at it recognizes them. One is a 320gb Toshiba & other is a 750gb Seagate I believe. Had my wired mouse crap out finally. Yesterday went bought a Logitech M510 wireless mouse. Plug in the little usb receiver and was off using it a second later no delays or problems.

Return to “Open Chat”