firefox in mint 14 is a bad idea

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
viking777

Re: firefox in mint 14 is a bad idea

Post by viking777 »

Strange. Absolutely no problems for me with FF18 and Cinnamon ( and I have got 14 extensions on it).

Chrome/Chromium otoh has been so bad for so long (like ever since it first came out) that I have given up on it for ever.

YMMV as they say :?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

YMMV as they say
It does. On every machine I have and every install FF has become slower. Not dramatically but slower. Chromium OTOH is light and quick as is Chrome.
I use Mint on this eeepc that I'm on now and 3 other machines with a whole range of Linux OS's and DE's. Same story in all cases.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Firefox has become slower, noticeably slower.

I prefer Opera over firefox. It is WAY faster and just feels so much more comfortable in the layout, and quite a few essential addons for firefox is built into opera.

Anyway, Atleast its nice to have options and browser is always a users preference.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I just installed Opera and it is a little faster but it needs some help like flash blocker, ad block and download helper. Looks like quite a learning curve.

L
TheKernel

Post by TheKernel »

WOW and here I am as a newbie thinking how much faster Firefox is on Mint than Windows!! No problems with FF at all.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

lexon wrote:I just installed Opera and it is a little faster but it needs some help like flash blocker, ad block and download helper. Looks like quite a learning curve.

L
Opera has extensions just like firefox and chrome. there is a button in the menu to add extensions or click here : https://addons.opera.com

the 4 extensions i use are :

adblock - https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/ ... display=en ( its the same adblock FF uses )
exchange - https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/ ... display=en ( shows the currency in my own, right on webpage , i use this for buying on ebay )
Gmail checker - https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/ ... display=en ( it puts a little gmail icon on search bar and shows message count )
Fbook notifications - https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/ ... display=en ( same as the gmail above ).
I also downloaded a nice Black skin that goes with the gnome desktop im using. https://addons.opera.com/en/themes/details/o_12/

the REALLY nice thing about opera is the speed dial, if you open new page you will see the big blocks in the page, you can add all your favorite sites there and it will show them with previews. now when you want to go to a site you simply click on a speed dial and walla... its also nice when you busy on a web page, you just click new tab and see dials right there and click on desired one. quick and easy...

You can also customise opera alot, go to "opera/apearance/toolbars" and set progress bar to pop up at bottom. you can tick "show hidden toolbars" and drag and drop the toolbars as you want the layout to be, set placements and so forth. Opera is FAR more customisable then any of the other browsers ( in both FF and chrome you can download preset customisations, in opera you can drag and drop and change it how YOU want it to be ). the speed is also much faster and you can add alot of the same extensions as the other browsers.

Im sorry, but after i moved over to Opera it was like heaven... Ill never go back to FF or chrome ever again.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

I've been having terrible problems with FF 18 on KDE. I'm about to try Opera but wanted to search the forums first to see if anyone's having problems, and found this thread.

The CPU usage is bad enough--a show-stopper in itself, but on top of that, it drives my desktop crazy--letters disappear from words, windows become blank ... FF is a hog even when opened in safe-mode.
Mint17 KDE
yuri21

Post by yuri21 »

Hmm, it's so much faster for me than on Windows(on this pc and someone elses').

However, it does get kinda really slow when viewing History.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I'm surprised at the problems, sorta. Just installed Mint 14 KDE 64bit a few days ago. Had some minor problems, so I did all the sys updates, including the FF that I almost unchecked. No problems at all. Just as fast as it has been since they started going nuts with the numbering scheme. FF will still use 100-150 Mb ram average but only 1-3% CPU at idle speed of 1.6 Ghz, not full speed of 3.4.
podagee

Post by podagee »

firefox 18.0.2 is out so hopefully they got everything sorted out....we'll see
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FireSoul »

viking777 wrote:Strange. Absolutely no problems for me with FF18 and Cinnamon ( and I have got 14 extensions on it).

Chrome/Chromium otoh has been so bad for so long (like ever since it first came out) that I have given up on it for ever.

YMMV as they say :?
We have different computers and there different components,so all not working well,but my laptop works fine with Linux Mint 14.1 Cinnamon and FireFox 18.01.

My laptop HP625 Vision pro.
Motherboard 32 bit and 64 bit processor.
AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor × 2 (2.1MHz).
Grafic Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
RAM installed 4G ,used 3,7G.
wyz

Post by wyz »

Sorry you've had some problems Podagee. I've been running Linux Mint 14 KDE 64 bit since it was released late in December, and Firefox has been my default browser. Whether it's version 17.0.2, 18, 18.0.1, or 18.0.2 I can honestly say Firefox has run rock solid stable for me, and this is with 65 extensions (59 enabled and 6 disabled).
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I am wondering if the different experiences with FF are due to available memory. Even the biggest fan of FF will not argue with the fact that is does hog memory. For me it is consistently the highest memory user of any running program. OTOH in percentage terms I am only using 13.6% of my installed memory right now (all these figures are available from the System Monitor utility). Maybe if you are already using a high percentage of available memory FF has to start using swap and then begins to have problems?

Just a thought.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

podagee wrote:firefox 18.0.2 is out so hopefully they got everything sorted out....
Not in my experience. It appeared to be a little less slow immediately after I fired it up, but after a bit of serious browsing it started to crawl again. Back to 17.0.1... :(
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

viking777 wrote:I am wondering if the different experiences with FF are due to available memory.
Memory management, possibly. Or that new JavaScript engine isn't working properly.

On my machine the first thing that goes down the drain is the bookmark menu. I mean, five seconds to just open it up...?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

It has to be machine specific, I have never had any trouble opening the bookmark menu with any version at any time. Memory availability/management is one candidate for the cause but there are probably hundreds of others.
podagee

Post by podagee »

firefox 18.0.2 seems a lot better.no lags here on my mint 13 partition.
podagee

Post by podagee »

spoke a bit too soon.firefox...out.gonna go back to my nightly build.
menta13

Post by menta13 »

the BEST browser for equipment with few memo: http://twotoasts.de/index.php/midori//
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I've been testing firefox 18.0.2 on two different linux installs, and on both they work fine (I've been using them fairly extensively). The two distros were Arch Linux and Debian Sid with iceweasel (Debian's firefox) from experimental, which is interesting considering both are bleeding edge rolling distros and I pulled iceweasel from Debian experimental, which is for very beta-ish software (although Debian is going for ESRs only in their other branches, and the Debian Mozilla team works fairly hard to maintain stability in all of the branches). I'm keeping my main linux install on 17 ESR (pulled from the mozilla.debian.net repo), and it's working fine also. On Windows 17 ESR works perfectly, but 18(.0.2) still is not working (and this is on the same laptop as the Debian Sid install). I doubt it's memory availability in my specific case because, while my laptop has 8 GB, the other desktop I tried 18.0.2 on has only 482 MB of RAM, and it ran smoothly. Anyways, on linux I am having no trouble on any of my hardware

Return to “Open Chat”