firefox in mint 14 is a bad idea

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: firefox in mint 14 is a bad idea

Post by Pierre »

I just shifted up - from FF 15 to FF 18
no issues at all . . .
- using Mint O/S
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
menta13

Post by menta13 »

podagee wrote:dont know if anyone noticed but the latest firefox,18.0.1,in mint 14 is terrible.it causes a lot of freezing
do not think so 'pal'(thus between quotation marks)

work like a charm firefox :P ...probably U have serious hardware issues :!:
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swear word removed.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Compared to the likes of Opera, Firefox is slow as a snail ... If you run them side by side im sure you will be shocked at just how much slower, at this point i would run Internet explorer before i run firefox again. I run Core I5 3470 with 8GB ram and a GT440 so nothing wrong with my hardware.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Firefox 18's slowness is a bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=832641

Should be fixed in 19.
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FireSoul »

My FireFox have been all time good,only a bit slower than before and now better again as updated, now 18.0.2 .May be too often change it to new.
My settings for FireFox ,no history and other thing original with my sync(bookmarks and theme).
podagee

Post by podagee »

in my windows 8 I no longer run firefox or waterfox.firefox is way too slow,waterfox freezes my computer when off the charger,so,internet explorer 10 it is.its super fast and light on resources.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

podagee wrote:in my windows 8 I no longer run firefox or waterfox.firefox is way too slow,waterfox freezes my computer when off the charger,so,internet explorer 10 it is.its super fast and light on resources.
I would also run internet explorer rather than FF ... but have you ever tried using opera ? its faster than both put together.
podagee

Post by podagee »

ive tried it on mint in the past and it is rather nice with the speed.firefox has some of the best add-ons though.they have everything that i didnt see in opera
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

grizzler wrote:Firefox 18's slowness is a bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=832641

Should be fixed in 19.
As grizzler found out, it's a regression and one that I experienced myself awhile back with Firefox 18.* and I can verify that it's fixed in Firefox 19 beta 5 (I believe it was fixed by beta 4 though). If you want to stick with Firefox you can always add the "Firefox-next" PPA (Firefox beta builds) which is currently at Firefox 19 beta 5 and it's fast and stable. I use it as my main browser.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next
Either way, the bug is fixed. And for those that were wondering about 64 and 32 bit versions of Firefox, Linux based distros are the only OSs that Mozilla makes an official 64 bit version of Firefox for. If you're running a 64 bit version of Linux Mint then the installed Firefox browser is by default 64 bit. Linux Mint 32 bit--Firefox 32 bit.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

most of the cool addons for firefox is already pre installed in Opera, and the ones that arent can easily be added to Opera ( without rebooting opera, FF almost have to reboot on every addon )
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

firefox 19 in my LM 14.1 Cinnamon is broken, no drop down list for address bar (something i use a lot), and no buttons in bookmark toolbar.
i have had so much problem with 14, i think i'll try xfce next time, see if that works better, cinnamon leaves me with no icons most of the time
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

beachgardener wrote:firefox 19 in my LM 14.1 Cinnamon is broken, no drop down list for address bar (something i use a lot), and no buttons in bookmark toolbar.
i have had so much problem with 14, i think i'll try xfce next time, see if that works better, cinnamon leaves me with no icons most of the time
Works fine for me, no problems. Drop down list works as it always has. Not too sure what you mean by no buttons in the bookmarks toolbar. A long shot here but did you check to see if your bookmarks are missing?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Hmm... I'm a Firefox diehard. I love the add-on community. Firefox's add-ons save me a lot of serious time--and bother. I have not experienced these problems of slowless that others talk about. I think it may be related video cards, gpu's and Flash--a known tar pit. I wonder how many of the naysayers have ATI graphics?

For some people, flash video is extremely important; it may be why they boot their computer at all. For me, its importance is confined to one web site, chess.com, where I must have Flash to play chess. But Firefox is just as fast at that as anything else. I am not very interested in online video, but I can tell you that Firefox plays video quite well on my old, two gigabyte, Intel Core 2 Duo Thinkpad R60 laptop. No problems. However, on my AMD E-350 desktop with four gigs, it does not play well at all, and I attribute that to ATI's problems with Linux, which are well-documented, and to the fact that Adobe stopped developing Flash for Linux. If your graphics are ATI, and flash is something you rely upon in order to survive in this world, then yes, I'm open-minded to Chrome as your choice, at least until such time as Flash is supplanted by the next great thing.

Other than flash I have never had any difficulties with Firefox beyond some minor annoyances having to do with certain arcane design decisions that probably matter to no one besides myself. I never plan to switch from Firefox, and I don't care whether Chrome or IE is 2% faster. I save massive amounts of time and gain a lot of desirable features by using my add-ons in Firefox.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

New is not necessarily better. But Firefox 19 does work just marvelously on my systems. No problems here whatsoever. I also just upgraded my hardware. Wow.
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ultraviolet »

My 64bit cinnamon version of firefox randomly crashes on 1080p youtube videos, Such a shame as its flawless everywhere else on the web.

Anyone know how i can permanently stop this?
“Your as addicted as I am”
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

ultraviolet wrote:My 64bit cinnamon version of firefox randomly crashes on 1080p youtube videos, Such a shame as its flawless everywhere else on the web.

FF has never been very stable, and if you dont keep your flash/addons and such up to date can cause problems not to mention its gotten slower and slower with each release and resource consumption has gotten higher and higher. Install opera, you will notice a world of difference and have none of these problems. I used to use FF myself and had endless problems with it, they fix one thing in a new release and break another, not to mention with new release bunch of addons stop working and you end up waiting weeks for devs to update them.... I have NONE of these problems with opera, I cant explain the pleasure it is to use a browser that simply just works out the box without problems.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

raymerjacque wrote:
ultraviolet wrote:My 64bit cinnamon version of firefox randomly crashes on 1080p youtube videos, Such a shame as its flawless everywhere else on the web.

FF has never been very stable, and if you dont keep your flash/addons and such up to date can cause problems not to mention its gotten slower and slower with each release and resource consumption has gotten higher and higher. Install opera, you will notice a world of difference and have none of these problems. I used to use FF myself and had endless problems with it, they fix one thing in a new release and break another, not to mention with new release bunch of addons stop working and you end up waiting weeks for devs to update them.... I have NONE of these problems with opera, I cant explain the pleasure it is to use a browser that simply just works out the box without problems.
I've had just the opposite experience with Firefox in both Linux distros and Windows 7 in that Firefox, with very few exceptions, has become more stable and faster with each new release. And keeping your plugins up to date applies to any browser you use, not just Firefox. And Flash can no longer be kept up to date in either Firefox or Opera as Adobe has discontinued building Flash for Linux. Linux users are stuck with version 11.2 for any browser (including Opera) with the single exception of Google Chrome. Adobe's latest "Pepper Flash" plugin (currently version 11.6) is built into Chrome itself. The problem with Flash crashing browsers can often lie with video hardware and video drivers, especially if it's AMD based.

And new releases of Firefox breaking extensions no longer the case for nearly all popular extensions for at least the last 3 major releases as Mozilla has (finally) changed the way extensions are checked when Firefox is updated to a new version (that plus the way extensions are built now). Before, only an extension's min and max version number in the extension's "install.rdf" text file would be checked and if the version number range didn't include the new Firefox version then it would be considered not compatible even though it probably was--which was usually the case. Now, each new Firefox update checks the extension itself for compatibility issues rather than just the .rdf file. Guess what? Very few "broken" extensions now.

Either way, I'm not here to start another useless browser war. However, I haven't personally seen a crash while viewing 1080p YouTube videos in any version of Firefox for quite awhile now. At least not yet. :)
igor83

Post by igor83 »

kmb42vt wrote:
raymerjacque wrote:

I've had just the opposite experience with Firefox in both Linux distros and Windows 7 in that Firefox, with very few exceptions, has become more stable and faster with each new release. And keeping your plugins up to date applies to any browser you use, not just Firefox. And Flash can no longer be kept up to date in either Firefox or Opera as Adobe has discontinued building Flash for Linux. Linux users are stuck with version 11.2 for any browser (including Opera) with the single exception of Google Chrome. Adobe's latest "Pepper Flash" plugin (currently version 11.6) is built into Chrome itself. The problem with Flash crashing browsers can often lie with video hardware and video drivers, especially if it's AMD based.

And new releases of Firefox breaking extensions no longer the case for nearly all popular extensions for at least the last 3 major releases as Mozilla has (finally) changed the way extensions are checked when Firefox is updated to a new version (that plus the way extensions are built now). Before, only an extension's min and max version number in the extension's "install.rdf" text file would be checked and if the version number range didn't include the new Firefox version then it would be considered not compatible even though it probably was--which was usually the case. Now, each new Firefox update checks the extension itself for compatibility issues rather than just the .rdf file. Guess what? Very few "broken" extensions now.

Either way, I'm not here to start another useless browser war. However, I haven't personally seen a crash while viewing 1080p YouTube videos in any version of Firefox for quite awhile now. At least not yet. :)
...What he said. Those with ATI graphics (he sez "AMD", he means the new AMD/ATI gpu's, not AMD + NVIDIA) will, like me, have a not so great flash experience in FF.

I just wanted to add that it does not pay to mess around with the Linux Mint rig for flash on Firefox. I tried an add-on called Flash update that supposedly downloads the latest beta version of flash. Well, that did not turn out so well. I experience better results just leaving flash on Firefox alone and accepting what the Linux Mint team cooked up. Whatever they did seems to work. So I suggest leaving it alone.

Yeah, flash is the weakest link on Firefox. But for those of us that use our browsers for work, i.e. to make money, Firefox is the only realistic choice, due to the extensive add-on community that offers so many conveniences, features and innovations... Using Firefox is like turning on the lights. Suddenly the Internet is at your command; you can get things done, fast with minimal disruption. However if for you, the browser is a replacement for TV, then go with Chrome, as it has the best flash support. Even in Windows, Chrome has a slight edge there because Adobe's flash updates are rather annoying for Windows users. But Chrome can't really do much; it's like version 1.0 of Internet browser, whereas Firefox with the right add-ons is very powerful indeed. A good compromise might be to run Chrome for utube and then the best browser, FF, for everything else.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Are you guys listening to yourselves ?
"FF is great "unless...." , FF is great "as long as you don'...", FF is great "except for...."
It is either great and stable and works without problems or it doesnt. Compared to the likes of Opera my experience has been that altho firefox isnt a bad browser, it is not even in the same league as Opera. Its like comparing windows and linux. with windows you must tweak the crap out of it before it works as you want it to, linux comes pre installed with most needed stuff, in the same way firefox must get tweaked, dozens of addons downloaded and configured before you get a pleasant browser experience. Opera works out the box.

Return to “Open Chat”