Investing in Linux

Chat about just about anything else

Postby mintero on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:24 pm

scorp123

I have heard this speech a million of times. No thanks.
I respect your opinion, but I am future-oriented.

If windows has chosen the simplicity-strategy and I choose this strategy too, that doesnt mean I have a windows mindset, but that I have the sense of the reality.

There is enough place in linuxland for both of us. And for other people who have different opinions. Linux is in evolution. Most people who will join it, will see it as an alternative to Windows. So I am adapting my strategy to that direction. I am talking business and not philosophy in this thread.

As about Xandros etc, many could be the reasons they failed to make a popular OS. Looking towards the good direction doesnt mean the result is garanteed.
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:46 pm

frank392 wrote:Hi Scorp123,
:D I agree with you 120%, I hardly agree with you but this time I do!!
Thank you Very much.

Thank you as well :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby frank392 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:49 pm

hey mintero

Mintero wrote:
I can't stand that a maniac linuxian, just because he has more technical knowledge than me gives me a miserable page of command line instructions for how to compile a tarball (yes in some cases you still need to compile).

How could you insult the people that help you out solving your problems :evil:

you are a LOOSER big time you can't even sell you ideas to us.
and one thing that we have are morals and values, we do not sell and we are NOT for sale!, now we Know you. B...h
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Postby scorp123 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:12 pm

mintero wrote: If windows has chosen the simplicity-strategy and I choose this strategy too, that doesnt mean I have a windows mindset, but that I have the sense of the reality.
To be debated ... :wink: Because as I see it Linux is "hard" for you simply because it is *different* ... is that the core of your theory why Linux is "hard" and "not intuitive"? Take my wife for example. She's a total computer noob. In other words: She was never ever exposed to Windows, or Microsoft products, or the Windows-way of doing things. Result? She thinks Linux is easy !!!

One time when we were at a friend's place and my wife and the other guy's lady wanted to check some stuff on the web, and so they were browsing around ... and promptly caught some stupid virus.

I had one hell of a hard time explaining my wife "Look darling, this is Windows, and in Windows you simply *MUST NOT* click on stuff if you're not sure about the origin .... " Her reply to this was: "But I wasn't working as administrator!!" (good girl ... she is a noob but even she understands this concept !!)

Again ... which one is "harder"? Especially "harder to maintain", "harder to keep safe", "harder to explain" because of all the illogic BS in there? :wink:

mintero wrote: There is enough place in linuxland for both of us.
Of course. I never ever said anything opposite. But there is a slight difference I think: I am almost a native of this land here, where as you are somewhere lost in the woods searching for the highway that will take you pronto and subito to from LinuxLand to DollarLand $$$

While this route is certainly possible it takes certain "driving skills" to get there, if I may say so.

mintero wrote: And for other people who have different opinions. Linux is in evolution.
And it always will be, because of it's open source nature.

mintero wrote: Most people who will join it, will see it as an alternative to Windows. So I am adapting my strategy to that direction.
While it certainly is an alternative to Windows, it is not the same as Windows. I think that's a part of the problem you (but also others) have as well: You expect the alternative to Windows to behave the exactly same as Windows and you expect from it that it follows the same (business) rules ... I am not so sure that this will work, if I may be honest with you :wink:

mintero wrote: I am talking business and not philosophy in this thread.
You nontheless shouldn't ignore that philosophy part, in my opinion.

mintero wrote: As about Xandros etc, many could be the reasons they failed to make a popular OS. Looking towards the good direction doesnt mean the result is garanteed.
But that's the point! Who said they were going into a "good" direction? The absence of success in their case proves they were wrong so far, regardless of what they thought. :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby mintero on Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:25 pm

frank392 wrote:hey mintero

Mintero wrote:
I can't stand that a maniac linuxian, just because he has more technical knowledge than me gives me a miserable page of command line instructions for how to compile a tarball (yes in some cases you still need to compile).

How could you insult the people that help you out solving your problems :evil:

you are a LOOSER big time you can't even sell you idea to us.
and one thing that we have are morals and values, we do not sell and we are NOT for sale!, now we Know you. B..h

I thank all the people who help me. Sometimes I make donations to support a project if I think that it is in the right direction.

I dont compile and I use the command line only if it is the only solution, especially to detect a problem and not as working tool. I want a modern linux for 21 century people and dont waste my time with linuxians who have obsolete ideas. I never said all linuxians are maniac and I precised in another post above that someones (not all) influence negatively the linux community.

It is time that the things change and linux become a popular OS. After 15 years of existence it is still at 1% for home users. It has no future with obsolete methods.

I have a project for a more friendly linux. I need encouragement and not that frustration. You interpreted wrong my words and I am not happy with your reaction.
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Postby AlsaPhil on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:50 am

I have a project for a more friendly linux. I need encouragement and not that frustration

That is positive! Bravo!
Come on and let's go :wink:
AlsaPhil
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mintero on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:52 am

AlsaPhil wrote:
I have a project for a more friendly linux. I need encouragement and not that frustration

That is positive! Bravo!
Come on and let's go :wink:

Well, my project is Linux pre-installed on computers. I need to much brainstrorm in order to solve the problem of the needed capital.

The best solution would be to set up an investing pool. The problem is that the other investors don't listen to all these beutiful words about linux that one can read in threads like this. They dont care about the opinions of linuxians but about the opinions of windowsians. And it's a hard work to convert windowsians. They dont like to run rkhunter in commandline...:D Although I have managed to setup pools for other projects in the past, my efforts gave no result so far in the case of linux.

Another solution is to become revendor of a pc manufacturer so that I dont have to support the cost of the computers.

A less expensive project is costumised versions of linux for niche marketing. Ofcourse in this case you dont have preinstalled linux.
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Postby clem on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:01 am

A company was going to be started in Denmark and sell computers online with Linux Mint Bianca pre-installed in them.

For us, as a distribution this was a very interesting partnership. We are looking for OEM companies simply because:

- we would like people to have the possibility of buying computer with Mint installed in it.
- we do not want to start doing this ourselves (it's a different market, a different job and we're not good at this).

Mintero: if you have the money the skills and the motivation to start an OEM company, we're definitely interested in hearing about this.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Investing in Linux

Postby npap on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:35 am

Good progress fellows. If you had communicated in French all this time, maybe
there wouldn't be much misunderstanding. You all speak French, don't you :)

Greetings, npap

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby scorp123 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:38 am

Apparently even DELL have begun shipping Linux on their machines?
http://www.dell.com/linux
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Investing in Linux

Postby nick on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:24 am

This company sells ONLY computers with Linux installed, also sells Mint CD
http://www.cheeplinux.com/
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mintero on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:55 am

clem wrote:A company was going to be started in Denmark and sell computers online with Linux Mint Bianca pre-installed in them.

For us, as a distribution this was a very interesting partnership. We are looking for OEM companies simply because:

- we would like people to have the possibility of buying computer with Mint installed in it.
- we do not want to start doing this ourselves (it's a different market, a different job and we're not good at this).

Mintero: if you have the money the skills and the motivation to start an OEM company, we're definitely interested in hearing about this.

Clem

Hi, Clem

I have already begun to work on my linux project. I have a little team and we are working to define a good businessplan. Unfortunately we don't consider Bianca appropriate to our goals.

We need a clear and stable strategy, long term support, more useful apps preinstalled, OS stability, and no legal issues with proprietary software.

I will be following the evolution of Mint. If you plan to release a professional-oriented edition which meets our needs I will be happy to collaborate with you.
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Postby clem on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:06 am

Hi Mintero,

No problem, I perfectly understand.

Note: We have no legal problems with proprietary software. Patents in some countries maybe, but not with software licenses.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Open chat