Microsoft is Doomed

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Rudemeister

Microsoft is Doomed

Post by Rudemeister »

It's been said before. But I believe this more so now than ever.

There are a few reasons why Windows 8 is doomed. Chris Woolum (my future son-in-law) brought up the point about mobile phone pervasive success causing the implosion of desktop sales. That might be true to a significant degree. I read another article saying that desktop PC sales are also plunging because the desktop PC which would normally need to be replaced (by a newer, better, faster, yada yada model) are already so good that they don't need replacement. Older desktop PC's have plenty of life in them. Well, another thing that is killing new desktop PC sales is Windows 8. The writer of this article seems to agree. Microsoft killed itself with this terrible excuse for a new desktop operating system. It seems also that instead of Microsoft admitting their mistake (like they did with Vista) they're doubling down on this kludge called Windows 8. The next Windows will be the last nail in the coffin for a once prestigious and glorious American company called Microsoft.

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-its-over-7000013964/

My advice is to hedge your bet and install Linux as an alternative
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Microsoft is Doomed

Post by Monsta »

Rudemeister wrote:The next Windows will be the last nail in the coffin
An evergreen phrase, if you look back a little :D
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yes, we are entering a post-PC world. Tablets and smartphones are becoming more important... to sales.
but you know what device we'll still be using for most of our interactions? It will be a PC, simply because it's easier to enter data with a real keyboard than any other interface.
and so on .. ..

Microsoft is a very big company - it can survive failures like Dos 4 & Vista & even Win 8 - if necessary.

But it's market share, just may slip somewhat, - but it's no going away - just yet.

the point about a supply of cheap PCs that be converted to a linux O/S is valid, though.
- there does need to be a constant upgrade cycle to support that.

that may be slowing, with the earlier PCs that are still quite useful & won't get upgraded anytime soon.
- & that's not even looking at the tablet / smartphone side of things
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

I think that most people are holding on to their desk tops and laptops that are still doing the job just fine and considering the economy plus windows 8 all combined together are the reason for less pc purchases. It not that tablets are taking over, thats just hype for the manufacturers to sell and push a new product.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Another reason is that communistic, monopolizing boot they put in that makes it extremely hard for any other operating to be put on it (like linux), I know at least two people that refused to but new laptops because of it, they went for ones that had windows 7 instead to avoid that safe boot or efi or whatever its called crap so they can put linux on it.
Why the manufacturers went for this is beyond me, Windows hopefully will change this, or the manufacturers should ban it until they do, I know there was one country trying to sue microsoft over this, I think it was malta, I'm not sure now which country it was.
Plus a bunch of boxes on your screen :lol: I always said this was the worst looking desktop I ever seen in my life, everyone I spoke to that has it or had it (most sent it back and asked for their money back and kept their old system) absolutely despise it, if they wanted a smart phone they would of bought a smart phone, not a smart phone on a pc (biggest comment).
Ok rant over
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

I agree a lot with what's being said here.

But in no way is Microsoft going away for the average user. Windows 7 is still here and will be for the next 5 years at least.
Unless they shoot themselves in the foot and discontinue Win 7 which would be a really stupid thing to do.

This has been coming for awhile. As more people move to more mobile devices and those devices become more capable. Then of course that would impact desktop sales. But microsoft didn't help themselves with introducing 8 that's for sure. Or trying to lock out competition with UEFI. Are two things that blew up a tad in their faces.

But they will continue to be The Major Player for the next decade.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

I in no way was predicting the extinction of Microsoft. But their former glory will have been drastically eroded by many of the factors I brought up. I actually think Windows 7 is a decent product. I really dislike Windows 8 though. I know that I am not alone in this sentiment. It's not as good looking or as easy to work with as Android on tablets. It requires many more resources to match Android's performance. It is just an abysmal desktop or laptop operating system. It forces people to work in ways they are not accustomed for the sake of change only. It is less ergonomically efficient for desktops and laptops. Microsoft's attempt to be a "Jack of all trades" has relegated them to being a master of none. They must have watched that Tom Cruise movie, "The Minority Report" and actually thought that UI was a good idea. Hollywood always gets technology wrong. The amount of motion involved to get something done with that would be a good cardiovascular workout. A mouse if much more efficient with the amount of motion required to get your computer to obey. This is ridiculous. The days of Microsoft's monopoly are over.

Besides, people at work on their desktops won't ever be using smartphones or tablets either. The desktop will remain supreme there for quite some time.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I'm still waiting for the voice activation computer to try and take dominance, not that it will, but I'm waiting to see if Windows will try that move.
Sort of like space odyssey where you talk to it and it answers back to get all your work done.
A whole office full of folks yakking to a monitor and built in AI :lol:
Some yelling if they get the blue screen of death, the AI screaming "I'm dying, I'm dying, I have a virus and am worm infected" the AI gets taken over by a laughing hyena, a phone call goes out to the Windows exorcist.
Well at least it could be entertaining to watch. :lol:
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Not a chance (-- doomed-- )
--watch their mobile devices/platforms (surface).
PC shipments (desktops notebooks aggregates) are down 14%, not a tragedy since replacement mobile platforms are now more available: such as tablets (IPads, an alternative to windows OS), and smartphones (Android and others.))

I don't think I would call win8x a kludge; to me it is just a run-on from win7x, which did improve on Vista's problems..
--and pretty much matched XPs stable operation.

The only issue I see with windows is secure mode and possibly efi boots and so on..
--many of those stratagems can be avoided or worked around when using Linux OS, if Linux is your personal OS choice.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Too much vested interest to let Microsoft crash.
If goverments are willing to rob us to save clearly defective banks, they sure as hell wont let something as big as Microsoft (and all their computer systems) crash, are they?
And does anyone want linux to take up the mantle of Microsoft and become the biggest target on earth?
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

samriggs wrote:I'm still waiting for the voice activation computer to try and take dominance,
Google will have that sewn up with their quest for the StarTrek computer.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ashtonford wrote:It not that tablets are taking over, thats just hype for the manufacturers to sell and push a new product.
Unmittigated drivel.

Tablets, using either Google's Android (42%) or Apple's iOS (24%), have clobbered Microsoft's market share of computing power from around 92% in 2000 to 20% last year.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Desktops/laptops in the business office will never go away. Windows 8 is not a practical platform to accomplish day-to-day office tasks. Office productivity would drop like a stone.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Microsoft ain't goin' nowhere. For every engineer that Google has Microsoft has 100 MBA's: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22182597
Microsoft has secured a patent deal with the world's biggest consumer electronics manufacturer to receive fees for devices powered by Google's Android and Chrome operating systems.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Next we'll find out that Microsoft has patented oxygen......
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

tdockery97 wrote:Desktops/laptops in the business office will never go away. Windows 8 is not a practical platform to accomplish day-to-day office tasks. Office productivity would drop like a stone.
I could never see myself working on Windows 8 for an art job, it would be totally insane, it just would not be practical in any way shape or form, office stuff I wouldn't know about but art stuff, yup it just wouldn't work without tons of frustration, especially when you have 20 minutes to complete some jobs, get approval, and start the printing while jumping from 3 or 4 programs at the same time if not more. I been wondering how they are doing with it in an office environment or if they just stuck to older versions instead.
Should be interesting how this all plays out in the end, I just hope they get rid of that boot issue after the smoke clears before I buy a new system down the road.
Google will have that sewn up with their quest for the StarTrek computer.

:lol: beam me up scotty, I get a kick out of those apple commercials where they are actually having a some what intelligent conversations with their phones, like its a real person, for a phone I can see it, in an office it would be like an insane asylum looking at a room full of cubicles of folks arguing with their computers, it still freaks me out with folks that use bluetooth on their phones yakking away and not seeing anything (until you see the ear piece) you can't tell who's talking to themselves anymore and who yakking on a phone.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

excollier wrote:Next we'll find out that Microsoft has patented oxygen......
Microsoft does have a patent for human skin so it's only a matter of time: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2004/ ... .microsoft
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

pretty interesting read
I can see it now, folks standing in the streets in a comma from the blue screen (skin) of death.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Aaaah......the end is nigh, the poor will be selling their skin.....Microsoft labs will be buying, no questions asked.
Anyone heard of Burke and Hare?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

excollier wrote:Next we'll find out that Microsoft has patented oxygen......
That's not a bad idea. There are people who ought to be sued for breathing.

Return to “Open Chat”