Microsoft is Doomed

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Microsoft is Doomed

Post by LindseyD. »

FWIW, RedHat stock doubled after the financial meltdown in Europe. It's now up almost 25% from that.

Windows makes its real money from the licensing fees paid by business and especially government. Now that everyone's on an austerity kick ...

However, I think it'll take much more to kill off Microsoft. The thing they're very good at selling (buying, rather) is influence.
Mint17 KDE
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Microsoft is always going to be around, that does not mean that the Linux user base is not going to grow. Android is everywhere and it is built on Linux. Ubuntu and Mint are making huge strides commercially along with many others. RedHat continues to prosper and the future looks very bright. Microsoft has it's work cut out competing in the market these days. Good game titles have come to Linux and graphics card manufacturers are hard at work now developing better drivers because of this.

Microsoft has so much more competition these days. With more competition everyone wins because it forces everyone to build better products and develop new ideas. Microsoft has the resources to compete in the market and are going to be around for a long time to come. Microsoft is aware of the shortcomings of Windows 8 and they have been working on making it better because they know they have to to remain competitive.

Apple has done the same. I can remember when Apple was on the brink of disappearing, now look where they are.
swiftlinuxcreator

Post by swiftlinuxcreator »

Microsoft today reminds me of General Motors in the Malaise Era. Windows Vista was Microsoft's Chevrolet Vega. Windows 8 is Microsoft's Chevrolet Citation, Cadillac Cimarron, or Oldsmobile diesel engine. Windows XP and 7 (Microsoft's more successful products) are analogous to the Oldsmobile Cutlasses and Chevrolet Caprices that used to dominate the roads long after the Vegas, Citations, etc. of similar vintage had been junked.
inolle

Post by inolle »

I have a friend who originally hated Window$ 8 and was an avid Window$ 7 usesr decided to install 8 strictly to play the new halo, whichi find laughable in the first place installing a new os just for a single game, but now all of a sudden thes os is the best thing since sliced bread to him. I never really got how anyone could actually like Window$ 8
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

inolle wrote: I never really got how anyone could actually like Window$ 8
You pays your money, you take your choice.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
inolle

Post by inolle »

excollier wrote:
inolle wrote: I never really got how anyone could actually like Window$ 8
You pays your money, you take your choice.
Actually he paid no money
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

He got Windows 8 for free? Well I guess that's it's true value.
inolle

Post by inolle »

Well yes and no I got it for free through my college and gave it to my friend who is a windows fanatic lol.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

inolle wrote:Well yes and no I got it for free through my college and gave it to my friend who is a windows fanatic lol.
There is surely some help for him. Psychiatrist...... maybe even a straightjacket? :lol:
Simtech68

Post by Simtech68 »

swiftlinuxcreator wrote:Microsoft today reminds me of General Motors in the Malaise Era. Windows Vista was Microsoft's Chevrolet Vega. Windows 8 is Microsoft's Chevrolet Citation, Cadillac Cimarron, or Oldsmobile diesel engine. Windows XP and 7 (Microsoft's more successful products) are analogous to the Oldsmobile Cutlasses and Chevrolet Caprices that used to dominate the roads long after the Vegas, Citations, etc. of similar vintage had been junked.

Best analogy I've heard in a long while, and spot on too.

I've been a long time XP user, and recently got exposed to 7 which isn't bad, I could probably get used to it. When I first saw 8, I thought is was a game or an app made for kids what a POS. As for Vista I just about threw a new laptop thru a wall figuring that crap out.

Oh, well, lucky Linux has evolved and I look forward to digging into a truly great OS
Lin Jones

Post by Lin Jones »

I wish Microsoft was doomed. In many ways they have been a cancer on the computer landscape. I think now people are finally beginning to realize that they don't need Windows to get stuff done. It's took a long time to get to this point.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Windows Vista was Microsoft's Chevrolet Vega
I liked the Vega especially with a V8 in it. That car could run good through any weather. A tin can on wheels but it was good. :lol:
but never liked windows lol.
Simtech68

Post by Simtech68 »

excollier wrote:He got Windows 8 for free? Well I guess that's it's true value.
Just because it's free doesn't mean you have to take it home.

I wouldn't take for 8 for free, I don't know if you paid me would I take 8
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Re: the thread title, here's an admission to ponder
http://www.news.com.au/technology/tablets/microsoft-ceo-steve-balmer-admits-surface-rt-tablet-a-mistake/story-fn6vigfp-1226687428164
js3915

Post by js3915 »

Think i would mostly agree with the OP on why Windows is doomed.. 1. PC's of today and well those of the latter part of the last decade are plenty powerful enough of a machine to have no need to justify buying a newer model. IF you bought a PC thinking for tomorrow not only today like what i suggest most do would have decent ram and processor... Obviously there are exceptions.. But with that and the downturn of the economy If you can make a PC from 2007,08, 09 last longer it saves your orginazation long term. But i think the PC market saw this before even in migrating to windows XP They had a need to run on specific software upgrading would risk breaking things so run what you could long as you could effectively. The other thing that will kill Microsoft will be migration to the cloud... Before you had to run microsoft otherwise your program might not work.

5 years from now alot more will be cloud based therefore your operating system will be irrelevant wont need to worry if its microsoft compatable. Microsoft saw that with office why they have office 360 i think it is where the actual outlook programs arent really stored on your pc but hosted to it. Both combined means people can migrate to linux or mac move away from microsoft lockin
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Well personally will never rely on "The Cloud" due to security concerns and storing all my personal files?
I may time to time dropbox a document,book,file,etc..

But rely on it for my day-to-day PC operations from OS to apps and personal daily files Never!
But may use as a additional tool when needing cross-platform access to specific files.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Orbmiser wrote:Well personally will never rely on "The Cloud" due to security concerns and storing all my personal files?
+1

I have some pictures and stuff on dropbox just in case my laptop goes boom. Nothing that I couldn't replace anyway with some work.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Orbmiser wrote:Well personally will never rely on "The Cloud" due to security concerns and storing all my personal files?

But rely on it for my day-to-day PC operations from OS to apps and personal daily files Never!
But may use as a additional tool when needing cross-platform access to specific files.
That's what I have an external HD for, no cloud for me either, dropbox once in a blue moon when sending files to other developers too big for email, then I delete them right afterwards (testing apps I make or they make etc), but trusting personal files on someone else's server, NEVER.

+1 to Orbmiser
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Thanks all for the +1 All

But seems to me just common sense. Especially of this day and age of violations of my rights and privacy on the net.
And allowing a business or government to have access to all my data reminds me of a Bend Over scenario.

Why people would cloud on the premise that it is secure and safe is absolutely beyond my comprehension.
When it has been shown that Nothing is Safe or Sacred on the internets

Yes there is encryption and I use for sensitive data on my system for secured files.
But putting it out there with the doubt of not knowing what exactly is secure and what can be broken?
Who really knows what the ( NSA or criminally motivated both being equal :P ) can achieve?
How many backdoors,compromised systems and unknowns are there really out there?
No thanks I'll keep my data on my system and choose what to let out in the Wild Wild Internet.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Orbmiser wrote: And allowing a business or government to have access to all my data reminds me of a Bend Over scenario.
Hi, Ben Dover. Welcome to "The Cloud". Just leave all your valuables there.....we'll search through them later. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll find something incriminating.

Return to “Open Chat”