Microsoft is Doomed

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Microsoft is Doomed

Post by KBD47 »

It's as simple as tablet sales increases compared to pc sales decreasing.
Of course Bill is smoking something interesting lately :-)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... pc-tablets
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

KBD47 wrote:It's as simple as tablet sales increases compared to pc sales decreasing.
Of course Bill is smoking something interesting lately :-)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... pc-tablets
<shrug>
One leading research firm, International Data Corp., said Windows 8 contributed to a 14 per cent decline in worldwide PC sales during the first three months of the year - the biggest year-over-year drop ever.
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/microsofts-w ... 36-11.html
My quote wins. Yours is old.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

My hope and belief is that Linux wins in the end. Android and Chrome OS are Linux. I think anyone who does serious word processing will still need a keyboard, so I suspect laptops and perhaps hybrids will be around for awhile, so Linux will have a place to go.
justy39

Post by justy39 »

I want a tablet with mint on it.. Not google android. First I need to get a tablet.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

KBD47 wrote:My hope and belief is that Linux wins in the end.
I think it's already coming out a winner based on what people say just in these Mint forums.
Android and Chrome OS are Linux.
Most people neither know nor care. As far as they are concerned Android is Android and ChromeOS is, well, ChromeOS, and that's all they see.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

First Firefox OS, Web OS, Android, Chrome OS are linux kernals with layers on top. Android is just a java layer while Firefox OS is the kernal that boots up a custom firefox with html appls and Chrome OS is a disro with a light desktop like pepermint. Want proff then root your Android phone. Now Windows sucks, I hate it for many reasons. ONe is virsues and all the stuff they got is crap. The only game I need from Windows is the Sims <reference to illegal material deleted>. Windows has never been populer in the phone market. Windows 8 phone is now in fourth and soon will be 9th by the end of the year. I will now list the OS's I know are still active in the market:Windows, OSX, Linux, PC-BSD. Free BSD, Net BSD, Moonlight BSD, Amiga OS 4.2, Morph OS, React OS, Dreamshell, KallistiOS, AROS, RISC OS, MilaX, Towns OS, es, OS/2, eComStation, MS-DOS, Free DOS, Windows CE, Singularity, Midori, Xenix, THEOS, Blue Eyed OS, NeXTSTEP, OS-9, OpenStep, Solaris, Rhapsody, Plan 9, Inferno, Plan B, Darwin, Open Darwin, Pure Darwin, OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana, Nexenta OS, Jaris OS, Syllable Desktop, FreeVMS, Haiku, ReactOS, Be OS, OZONE, BeleniX, Cosmos, Phantom OS, AtheOS, MenuetOS, KolibriOS, AIX, SkyOS, Mike, QNX, DexOS, Visopsys, GNU/HURD, and JNode. As you can see there are many choices out there. Windows sucks and it's down fall will happen over time. I hope that React OS will take the place of Windows and that Pure Darwin will destroy Mac. Now you forgot that React OS will be able to run Windows programs. I know Wine sucks, but it is our main tool as Darling has just started. Maby some day after Darling is stable they can port it to Pure Darwin and things could realy take off. Hopefully it would be better then Wine. You could use Darling to run Playonmac and Playon Mac to run Windows stuff. Kind of Weird huh. I also don't like having to install Windows multiple times per year. Then you have the FACT that Windows stole code form Unix and OS/2. If IBM would have got their heads out of their buts then we would not be in this problum. React OS is way better then Windows ever will be. Yes Windows looks fine at first, then you notice how bloated it is and how clutered the filesystom is. Windows file systom is like my bedroom. The only reason Why My sister uses Windows is for the Sims 3. Schools usaly use Macs and Windows. Ours still has XP Proffesion, then again not much tax dolloars around here to upgrade and only a few people around here know what Linux is, yet alone how to use it. Look at Europe, Russia, China, and Japan. In Russia Windows is out lawed in any goverment buildings. China will soon have a Linux Revolution if the Chinese Version of Ubuntu Kicks off. Many small countrys in Europe use Linux in libarys. On the bright side NASA is now using Linux. We are at war and we have to defend our selfs from Microsoft.
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu May 30, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reference to illegal material deleted.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Microsoft as a company is doing fine. It seems they are pullout out of some dividions. Xbox, Windows. Its seems that they are riding their brand name. Its almost as if they are trying to destry the console and desktop market. Perhaps they have a new technology. Or perhaps they are just as clueless as EA.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

It takes a long time to kill a monopoly
--Microsoft knows how to play the game..

So don't expect any result too soon, and why would we (Linux users) want Microsoft to die out, they help push product prices lower via their OEM contracts, and even compete with their own suppliers (Microsoft Surface) keeping them on edge or too nervous to stray from the Microsoft umbrella..

Remember that Microsoft gets about 70% of their cash-flow via their office suite and that is just as Microsoft windows OS also a monopoly (or pretty much so) in all those corp. offices that feel they need some kind of office suite (spreadsheet ++), project management, or other supports..
--and it seems that Xbox is more popular than Sony's PS systems, even if Sony is a lower price
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

Yea, I highly doubt that neither Microsoft or Windows are doomed. Actually, I think Windows 8 is what the Linux desktop should be. But I'll get into that discussion later. Till then, here's my reply to original post. It's an attached Word file.

If anyone would like to join me in a logical discussion about this, feel free to. Just PM me. I don't want to turn this thread into an all out flame fest. Just wanted to make my opinion known.
3mutts

Post by 3mutts »

^ By that do you also mean Linux should be locked down with UEFI and Secure Boot, get tons of viruses and piss users off (we already did that with Gnome 3 and Unity [I like unity though so I don't see why people complain about])?

I think Microsoft will have a similar tail to what happened with Vista, some users will leave, some will stay on a old version of Windows, some will buy Windows 8 and think its crap or great (I personally think it has one of the worst GUIs out there along with Gnome 3 [which is where I think they got there inspiration for Windows 8]), and when the next version of Windows comes out they will all upgrade (unless its crap again which following Microsofts past is unlikely), it is the wonderful Microsoft cycle.
Aleenik

Post by Aleenik »

Microsoft is far from doomed. They are still raking in money like mad. That is all that matters, after all. There is no way the next version of Windows will be the last. That is simply wishful thinking.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

3mutts wrote:^ By that do you also mean Linux should be locked down with UEFI and Secure Boot, get tons of viruses and piss users off (we already did that with Gnome 3 and Unity [I like unity though so I don't see why people complain about])?

I think Microsoft will have a similar tail to what happened with Vista, some users will leave, some will stay on a old version of Windows, some will buy Windows 8 and think its crap or great (I personally think it has one of the worst GUIs out there along with Gnome 3 [which is where I think they got there inspiration for Windows 8]), and when the next version of Windows comes out they will all upgrade (unless its crap again which following Microsofts past is unlikely), it is the wonderful Microsoft cycle.
I am yet to have a virus on my Windows 8 install. And I agree that uefi and secureboot are lame. But the Windows 8 OS is simply the best OS that Microsoft has produced. If people don't like the new U.I. then tough luck. The U.I. is here to stay, and it's still a Windows world.

What you're insinuating is that people use a system that isn't suitable for productivity in most cases. Mainly since Office is the standard in most companies and Linux doesn't have a native version of Microsoft Office. LibreOffice doesn't count, as good as it is, most of the time.
3mutts

Post by 3mutts »

^ I do agree that Microsoft did make alot of improvements with the core of the OS, if they would have had a better GUI I would go out and buy it right now. However I don't think Linux should go the Microsoft way, remember how many people where pissed off when Gnome 3 came out? Do we want that ever 2-3 years (I didn't really find the transition from XP to Vista to be that bad but you have to remember Microsoft still sells to computer illiterate people, who is going to guess shutdown is in a side bar under settings, I surely wouldn't)?
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

3mutts wrote:^ I do agree that Microsoft did make alot of improvements with the core of the OS, if they would have had a better GUI I would go out and buy it right now. However I don't think Linux should go the Microsoft way, remember how many people where pissed off when Gnome 3 came out? Do we want that ever 2-3 years (I didn't really find the transition from XP to Vista to be that bad but you have to remember Microsoft still sells to computer illiterate people, who is going to guess shutdown is in a side bar under settings, I surely wouldn't)?
Linux should continue the way it's going now. And Gnome 3 is horrid, I agree. But Windows 8 isn't like gnome. It still has the traditional desktop. Also I agree that most people wouldn't think to check the charms bar for a shutdown option. That's Microsoft's fault for not providing any kind of real tutorial for 8. But once you figure out how to use it, it isn't as bad as many think. It's much better than 7.

Linux should not go the Microsoft way though. It's fine how it is when it works properly.
zebedeeboss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zebedeeboss »

Yawn!!! People have been extolling the Doom of Microsoft for years.... It's not going anywhere....
LMDE 5 Elsie | Cinnamon V5.2.7 | Kernel 5.10.0-12-amd64 | AMD Ryzen TR 2950X (32) @ 4.000GHz | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti | Display 49" 5120 x 1440 240Hz | 64GB Corsair RGB DDR4 3000MHz | 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe

Be Nice or Be Some Where Else
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

But the Windows 8 OS is simply the best OS that Microsoft has produced
just install 'classic shell' & you won't be able to tell the difference.
http://classicshell.net/
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

Pierre wrote:
But the Windows 8 OS is simply the best OS that Microsoft has produced
just install 'classic shell' & you won't be able to tell the difference.
http://classicshell.net/
Tell me, why on earth would I want to do that? As I said before, I like the new start screen vs the old start menu.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

realitykid wrote: It's an attached Word file.

Are you serious ???? :shock: In a Gnu/Linux forum, you posted a .docx file ??? :shock:
And you want people to speak with you ? As far as I am concerned, you started a flam war at the exact moment you posted a .docx... :roll:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I think the computing situation has changed so much so fast that people still do not grasp the impact. Even Walmart will now be selling Chromebooks. Few users need massive hardware and storage anymore, and MS hasn't a chance at competing with Android and ios on tablets. Like it or not cloud computing is here, and MS realizes the cloud is the future if you see what they are doing with Office. MS is not going away, they will be strong-arming companies running Android for patent money for years to come. And it looks like they finally have wised up about the Xbox. But I suspect even with MS Office they will continue to lose ground.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

killer de bug wrote:
realitykid wrote: It's an attached Word file.

Are you serious ???? :shock: In a Gnu/Linux forum, you posted a .docx file ??? :shock:
And you want people to speak with you ? As far as I am concerned, you started a flam war at the exact moment you posted a .docx... :roll:
Maybe he wrote the document with Libre Office Writer and saved it .docx so all can read it ( you know how MS Word is incapable.....)
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint

Return to “Open Chat”