Microsoft is absolutely fantastic!!!...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Ookami

Re: Microsoft is absolutely fantastic!!!...

Post by Ookami »

Hardly.

There's an option for Macintosh-layout keyboards to be used in the Linux installer, so it can't be too difficult. :)
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Hmmm, that super-thin keyboard is very tempting, then... Damn you belovedmonster! :wink:
humptydumpty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by humptydumpty »

If you are able to afford the very high cost of the full version Vista, the CD makes an excellent coaster for your morning coffee - but don't forget that being Vista, it also comes with a big hole in the middle; this could allow contamination of your workspace or leave marks which can't be removed without completely stripping and re-polishing your desk!

Humphrey D
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

humptydumpty wrote:If you are able to afford the very high cost of the full version Vista, the CD makes an excellent coaster for your morning coffee - but don't forget that being Vista, it also comes with a big hole in the middle; this could allow contamination of your workspace or leave marks which can't be removed without completely stripping and re-polishing your desk!
hehe
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

omns wrote:
humptydumpty wrote:If you are able to afford the very high cost of the full version Vista, the CD makes an excellent coaster for your morning coffee - but don't forget that being Vista, it also comes with a big hole in the middle; this could allow contamination of your workspace or leave marks which can't be removed without completely stripping and re-polishing your desk!
hehe
Classic. :D
humptydumpty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by humptydumpty »

The Vista CD makes an excellent mat for your coffee mug - but just remember that in true Microsoft tradition, it does have a large hole in the middle!
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I prefer this logitech trackball to any mouse brand, logitech or otherwise..
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... 6&cl=US,EN

And I will pay more for a good keyboard, which doesn't happen to be any of the plastic knock-offs now available
--I am still banging away on my omnikey, and it still works reliably after 10yrs of use..
http://lowendmac.com/thomas/06/1213.html
http://clickykeyboards.com/
nitehawk

Post by nitehawk »

I have 3 Dells,...so most all of my stuff is Dell stuff. Dell this,..Dell that,...Dell the-other,...Dell what-ever.
(My 4th computer,...an old HP Vectra has some M$ stuff, though.)
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I have an old sidewinder joystick that I just cannot replace. A cat chewed through the cord 6-7 years ago and I patched it back up. It is the simple base model with no force feedback. I have tried to replace it 3 times now and the new joysticks just never compare. They get passed on to the kids while I retain the old sidewinder. I will be sad if it ever breaks on me.
delro

Post by delro »

FedoraRefugee wrote:I have an old sidewinder joystick that I just cannot replace. A cat chewed through the cord 6-7 years ago and I patched it back up. It is the simple base model with no force feedback. I have tried to replace it 3 times now and the new joysticks just never compare. They get passed on to the kids while I retain the old sidewinder. I will be sad if it ever breaks on me.
I have a SideWinder too! My dad bought it from a surplus shop 8 years ago (it cost around 300 pesos, about $6 today) and it still works! I left it on my grandpa's house so I can play old games on his Win98 machine. The feel is very nice: no dead center and it doesn't feel light and plasticky. Comes with a throttle, rudder and POV switch too!

Had a modded Xbox too. Worked great too so that means I've had 100% satisfaction from MS hardware!
nitehawk

Post by nitehawk »

Mi Mykrosoft keybrd works fyne to ! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have one wireless MS mouse for my laptop. My desktop keyboards are rubber covered and can be rolled up. Picked them up off ebay about four years ago for about $10.00 US funds. All my PC hardware is advertised as Windows capable but work fine with Linux.
Stopped using Windows nearly five years ago when I realized it comes bundled with an application called Failure. I was not very good using that option but left Windows anyway. Many people are good at using that option.

lex
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

rivenought wrote:After my trusty NMB developed a horrible case of rust (mechanical and steel insides), I was in the market for something inexpensive, yet functional. I had the professional NMB with the split space bars, too. I knew it was going to be darned-near impossible to replace. If you have ever had an NMB, you know what I mean.

It was a tough decision of conscience, but when I saw a Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard on a close-out sale for $19.95 at Amazon last year, I just had to snag one. Hey, it was cheap! To my amazement, I enjoy using this keyboard. No, it is not as good as my old NMB, but I am content enough.
I have had a few Ms mice, but mostly preferred Logitech; especially their trackman mouse
--compared to Ms models or later Logitech models (probably too many small buttons and other dandyisms)
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Trackman ... B00005NIMJ
Of course I use a desktop, I prefer a comfortable chair when computing
--and that means I have a good keyboard, OmniKey ultra
http://lowendmac.com/thomas/06/1213.html

And despite the good price level and the relatively good reputation of the Microsoft Natural keyboard, I think I would always choose the Omnikey or an equivalent
--there are some reliable POS (Point of Sale) parts manufacturers that make such quality (mechanical quality) keyboards, made for heavy use, and those are also relatively cheap..

Oops forgot I had replied already..
Ah well, maybe some more data to see...
lexon

Post by lexon »

Yes, good idea. I have a lot of recipes from the 'Net in my Bookmarks but the PC is not in the kitchen. I find most of my recipes on the 'Net using a simple search.
Some years ago, my mother was kitchen coordinator for Smith College in Northampton, MA and they sent her to school to learn basic programming. She had to work with a company that converted the hard copy recipes for the dorms into computer language to estimate cost and for the amount students in the dorms. Every dorm kitchen was getting its own computer terminal. She had to at least understand the lingo. The programmers were sure confused when they could not figure a cost estimate for water in a recipe. The initial software wanted a value for every item.

lex
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have a Custom built Mega-Gb PC (MicroSoft/IBM type) and I use a small Mac keyboard with it.

After using my nephews computer once, I liked his Mac keyboard. (He's a Mac geek ... won't even consider Linux)
I went to the local Mac store and asked them, if my PC and a Mac keyboard were compatible . . . no one there knew?
So, I bought it and hooked it up . . . 'out of the box' awesome

I love my little keyboard . . . metal and white . . . and without the 10-key number pad on the side, just a QWERTY keyboard.
rhY

Post by rhY »

i swear by logitech hardware. mice, gamepads, speakers all last forever and work great!
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

I'm using a Microsoft keyboard that I pulled out of the pile of old keyboards we have, made in the days when they were meant for people who were being weaned off typewriters, so had to be tough to last, and it is one of the best keyboards I have used. The keyboards at college leave a lot to be desired however. Not a sentence is typed on those things without a double letter or double space, ugh.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Old Marcus wrote:The keyboards at college leave a lot to be desired however. Not a sentence is typed on those things without a double letter or double space, ugh.
That's why they (organizations) with public spaces available tend to lock down and physically secure their workstations
--and also, since they expect some stock shortages, tend to buy lowest cost for easily removed items, like mice or keyboards, won't replace them except on their buying cycle (hardware refresh)

Return to “Open Chat”