Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Chat about just about anything else

Re: Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Postby wheeledgoat on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:31 am

wheeledgoat wrote:forget about Prism.

worry about what we DON'T know about.


I should clarify;
forget about Prism - because the lid's blown and they're undoubtedly peeling off from it

If you want to fret about something, your time would be best wasted pondering all the things that haven't been compromised!

Pretty much whatever you can imagine is likely out there in force. We Americans spend untold amounts and employ the most creative people to stay a step ahead. If you can dream it up, betcha they already thought about it, and did it.

Mint installed on my still-rockin' budget build from '08:
3ghz Athlon 64 dualcore on DFI LP DK w/ 8g DDR2, GeForce GTX 760 & Turtle Beach Riviera

Win7 on my lite build of 2012:
3.1ghz i3 dualcore on Biostar H61 w/ 8g DDR3, Crucial M4 128g SSD
User avatar
wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:36 am
Location: Chicago

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Postby guimaster on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:07 am

samriggs wrote:I totally understand where your coming from and I also agree with you 100%
I don't think it's fair, I also don't know if there is much that can be done about it.
The old saying, "you can't fight city hall" it has been done but it takes a lot of folks to do it, I don't like it, but I'm also not worried about it.
I wish the law of Maryland was everywhere.
It's like having a third party listening and watching everything you do, big brother has been in the works for a lot of years, more then likely since 1776, it was always bound to happen, but the next step, what can be done to stop it? That has been the question for a lot of years and even if we can stop certain things what's to stop them from doing things behind the scene like they usually do anyhow. It's not as if governments never lie :lol:
Kind of reminds me of that movie IRobot, were doing it for your protection, we are protecting you from you. Ya right. :roll:


What's the point of using Linux at all, then? I mean, if you don't need to use any Windows software or can use it all in Wine, then it only makes sense. But if you are dual-booting back and forth, is it worth the hassle since nothing can be done about it?
guimaster
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Postby wheeledgoat on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:07 am

guimaster wrote:What's the point of using Linux at all, then? I mean, if you don't need to use any Windows software or can use it all in Wine, then it only makes sense. But if you are dual-booting back and forth, is it worth the hassle since nothing can be done about it?


I actually somewhat agree with your sentiment here. But the reason I have for using Linux while simultaneously depending on a Windows install is to do my little part to support it and grow the community. I believe if everyone did that, it would gain enough support and popularity to indeed become a full-powered Windows replacement, hands down.

Mint installed on my still-rockin' budget build from '08:
3ghz Athlon 64 dualcore on DFI LP DK w/ 8g DDR2, GeForce GTX 760 & Turtle Beach Riviera

Win7 on my lite build of 2012:
3.1ghz i3 dualcore on Biostar H61 w/ 8g DDR3, Crucial M4 128g SSD
User avatar
wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:36 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Postby samriggs on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:34 pm

guimaster wrote:
samriggs wrote:I totally understand where your coming from and I also agree with you 100%
I don't think it's fair, I also don't know if there is much that can be done about it.
The old saying, "you can't fight city hall" it has been done but it takes a lot of folks to do it, I don't like it, but I'm also not worried about it.
I wish the law of Maryland was everywhere.
It's like having a third party listening and watching everything you do, big brother has been in the works for a lot of years, more then likely since 1776, it was always bound to happen, but the next step, what can be done to stop it? That has been the question for a lot of years and even if we can stop certain things what's to stop them from doing things behind the scene like they usually do anyhow. It's not as if governments never lie :lol:
Kind of reminds me of that movie IRobot, were doing it for your protection, we are protecting you from you. Ya right. :roll:


What's the point of using Linux at all, then? I mean, if you don't need to use any Windows software or can use it all in Wine, then it only makes sense. But if you are dual-booting back and forth, is it worth the hassle since nothing can be done about it?


I don't use Linux to hide from the nsa and prism at all, this whole mess didn't even enter my mind until that fellow told that the nsa and prism is watching and listening to everything you do, (even though they said they been listening to chatter for years, which is everything this fellow on the run said), but as a tool to hide from the government, nope, not at all, plus they can still track all the other stuff you do, so no cell phones, debit/credit cards etc etc etc if you wanted to hide from them.
as far as dual booting goes, the only reason I did that was in the beginning while trying out linux then got rid of windows totally, if I did have to dual boot I still would do it though, just for the fact to use linux for everything but the windows stuff, and I did in the beginning and still found it worth it, the only hassle was the initial install and choose an OS at grub which is one arrow key and a enter key to switch them, it's not that big of a hassle to switch them unless you use 50/50% for them, but that's users choice whether it's worth it or not to them personally, if not then don't if it is then do, "do or do not there is no try" (wisdom of yoda lol).
I just think it's weird how the US will come and get ya if ya tell what they said they been doing for years, I guess they really believe in that disclosure statement a lot.
So yes they listen, they watch, but don't say they do even though they do, or you will have to run for life, don't you dare tell the people what were doing behind their backs.
just silly I tell ya silly but thats my opinion
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
SolydK
User avatar
samriggs
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Postby guimaster on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:49 pm

wheeledgoat wrote:I actually somewhat agree with your sentiment here. But the reason I have for using Linux while simultaneously depending on a Windows install is to do my little part to support it and grow the community. I believe if everyone did that, it would gain enough support and popularity to indeed become a full-powered Windows replacement, hands down.


Yes, definitely. OS use is tracked by how many people are visiting webpages from the various operating systems. Every one using Linux helps a little.

Another reason I'd hate to not use Linux as Primary is that I'd forget everything I've learned on the command line. Not that I know that much.
guimaster
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Postby dert on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:26 am

flomint wrote:hello,
you really think that mint and ubuntu are not safe?

what do you think about distros on this page:
http://prism-break.org/

fedora and debian are safe, away from prism?

thanks you!!!
interesting site.
and it is possible to find out who was collecting this information? :?:
User avatar
dert
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:52 am
Location: Novosibirsk, Russia

Re: Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Postby mmix on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:07 pm

my mint is safe, because i am using LMDE which is not based on ubuntard.
mmix
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:02 am

Re: Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Postby excollier on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:54 am

mmix wrote:my mint is safe, because i am using LMDE which is not based on ubuntard.

Are you sure it's safe? (cue sinister sounding music and the sound of evil laughter)
Registered Linux user #557695
Here's a snippet of real excitement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAPlnPtF ... 2cwvDhF-aw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QflahNQMOgM
excollier
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:31 pm
Location: Way off centre.

Re: Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Postby mmix on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:48 pm

As a matter of fact (tone of The Mystery Man in Lost Highway), i am also using bootstrap-linux.
https://github.com/pikhq/bootstrap-linux
mmix
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:02 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Previous

Return to Open chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests