install mac os x over linux mint

Chat about just about anything else

install mac os x over linux mint

Postby wolland on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi,

My question is this: Is it safe to install Mac OS X over Linux Mint? I have a Macbook and I intented to install linux mint but in the process I deleted the OS X partition. When I tried to reinstall Mountain Lion I encountered and error (''can't download the additional components needed to install mac os x') and I don't know how to get over this error. My intention is that for the moment to install linux mint and in the future mountain lion. I know that, apart from linux, OS X requires primary partitions and first must be installed the OS which needs primary partitions, but I was thinking that I might use one partition for linux and I'll leave the other one formatted as GUID for the future installlation of OS X. Has anyone any idea about this?

Thanks!
wolland
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: install mac os x over linux mint

Postby xenopeek on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:06 pm

This sounds much more like an OS X support question, so moving it here. I don't think many Linux Mint users will be able to help you with the 'can't download the additional components needed to install mac os x' error, however much we are generally willing to help. This sounds like something you need the OS X gurus for :wink: Without knowing to much about it, but I would recommend you try to get OS X installed again first. Then reinstall Linux Mint alongside it.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: install mac os x over linux mint

Postby wolland on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:21 pm

I don't need help with that error. I just mentioned it. My basic question was if somebody encountered this rather unusual situation or has any idea about this kind of approach.It has to do with partitioning in linux mint and the behavior of this OS, that's why I posted here and not on the OS X related forums. Thank you anyway for your reply.
wolland
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Open chat