Is Dual Booting Worth The Hassle?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
guimaster

Is Dual Booting Worth The Hassle?

Post by guimaster »

Greetings,

I know that there are lots of ways to run Windows applications in Linux. But I can't run them all in Linux. Even if I could, my computer isn't the fastest, so my performance would suffer in comparison to running the application / game natively.

First, dual booting means a lot of installing and configuring. What I have right now are two computers; a desktop and a netbook. The netbook is dual booting Linux Mint and Windows 7. The desktop is dual booting Vista and Linux Mint. Inside Mint on the desktop I am running XP in VirtualBox. Now, I'm the kind of guy who - when I configure an operating system - I have to configure every little setting. I make reinstall checklists in order to cover all the points and note any problems and fixes. What this means is that I have a grand total of 5 operating systems to configure! That means I have applications to configure on all of them! That's a lot of hours spent!

Windows operating systems are supported for longer. With Windows Vista I have just shy of 4 years of support. With Windows 7 I have a little more than 7 years I think. With Linux though, support usually lasts for shorter periods. Yes, the LTS versions have longer support, but since Mint 13 didn't include Full Disk Encryption, I have to wait until Mint 15 for an LTS that I can stick with. Linux would win this comparison if Mint Debian had a Full Disk Encryption option on install. Setting up Full Disk Encryption after install is a hassle and some of it is over my head.

Dual-booting wastes time. It also creates hassles when one email or document can't be accessed in Windows, or files need to be transferred. With Full Disk Encryption I can't easily move files back and forth, either. Having one OS that can do everything sounds very appealing, rather than having 5.

Windows runs everything. I can not think of one piece of software that I use for Linux Mint that I can't get on Windows. Either the exact identical software will exist for Windows, or of course, many freeware and even open source alternatives.

Yes, Microsoft is an evil company. Yes, they spy on people and disrespect their loyal customers. Yes, they harvest data and ship it off to the NSA, but it's debatable just how much privacy one has on the web now-a-days anyway. I hate Microsoft for how they treat people. I hate their pushy monopolistic business model. But the bottom line is that I am still using Windows much of the time anyway. Why not just do everything in Windows?

Please share your opinions. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Is Dual Booting Worth The Hassle?

Post by caf4926 »

Looks like you made your mind up.

Everything I need is right here.

Dual boot remains a good option for those that can't break free. Although, now, most of us have easily sufficient systems to use a VM (except not so much for you).

If you move your email to cloud based options, the dual boot scenario shouldn't present a problem.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

caf4926 wrote:Looks like you made your mind up.

Everything I need is right here.

Dual boot remains a good option for those that can't break free. Although, now, most of us have easily sufficient systems to use a VM (except not so much for you).

If you move your email to cloud based options, the dual boot scenario shouldn't present a problem.
Oh trust me, my mind is far from being "made up." This isn't the first time that I've had this internal debate. It's just the first time I've posted about it online.

Also, if you move everything to the cloud you are defeating one of the biggest purposes to using Linux, which is for privacy's sake.

My computer has a dual core processor at 1.6 ghz and 4 gb of ram. I just wonder how well I could run Vista and games inside of Mint. I guess I should give it a whirl. I just can't imagine it going over well, lol.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Games don't work in VM's really
Better in Crossover or Wine
And now even better with Steam, there are loads of games for Linux.

Privacy... As soon as you start using the internet you wave that bye bye. Unless a person is so totally anal to the extent that they might as well not bother
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

caf4926 wrote:Games don't work in VM's really
Better in Crossover or Wine
And now even better with Steam, there are loads of games for Linux.

Privacy... As soon as you start using the internet you wave that bye bye. Unless a person is so totally anal to the extent that they might as well not bother
You're right, because I remember having a game that I installed in VirtualBox XP once with DRM that wouldn't allow it to run. Boy I tell you that ticked me off good.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Never understood the need for Full Disk encryption. For most it seems more about satisfying overblown fears than an actual need.

As pointed out once you connect then there are a myriad ways people can track you and learn your habits.
There are a boatload of solutions for protecting yourself on the internet whatever platform you decide to use.
But Linux is by design a more secure and bulletproof solution.

For sensitive data their is Truecrypt for Windows & Linux. Can mount containers or partitions.
My choice is all personal and sensitive data is on external ntfs usb drives that both OS'es can access.
Whether I encrypt them or not then will use whatever method that both OS'es can use seamless as possible.

As to games is pretty much the only reason for people be forced to windows most of the time.
Or occasionally specific programs that can't be matched by a linux equivalent program.

I make reinstall checklists in order to cover all the points and note any problems and fixes. What this means is that I have a grand total of 5 operating systems to configure! That means I have applications to configure on all of them! That's a lot of hours spent!

For me dual boot isn't a hassle as have a triple boot Win7,Winxp & Linux.
And only 2 mins to boot to other.

As all have been setup and tweaked to my functioning state of usability. I then take 30 mins a month to back those partitions up again to external usb drives.And can restore any OS to tweaked and installed apps in 20mins. No checklist or re-installing drivers or apps required.

In 20mins I can install Mint 14 Cinnamon or KDE,Ubuntu 12.10,Bodhi,voyager 12.04 xfce,Funduntu,etc.. to my linux partitions and be running a different distro already configured and ready to go for me.

But again this is all a mute point as you pretty much showed that you need or unwilling to give up all your window apps and games. And that isn't who linux is aimed at. It's Aimed at people that want to cut the cord. Only real reason I still use Win7 is for lightroom for my customers images. As still trying to find the time to learn linux equivalent darktable editing software. But for me Linux daily use is up in the 97% range and occasionally a need for windows.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

But for me Linux daily use is up in the 97% range and occasionally a need for windows..
OR, something like that .. ..

otherwise, it's only on the odd occasion, that there is any need for booting into a win O/S.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Not exact dual booting in the common reference. This desktop actually has two operating systems. Inside the case are two physical hard drives. One dedicated for Mint, the other for XP.

Most of the year both the data and power cables are disconnected from the XP drive. No real hassle as I only use it in the winter for things like TurboTax and then in the summer to program my radio scanner.

Being disconnected means zero chances of virus infections. Plus since I'm not using it I'm also not wearing it out with repeated on and off cycles.

When needed it takes less than a minute to pop open the side cover, connect the cables, and power on.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I read through your post a couple of times and it's not entirely clear to me why you are running Linux at all. If Windows has all the qualities you want why not reverse what you are doing with VirtualBox: Windows Host with a Linux Guest.
Last edited by altair4 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

guimaster wrote:I make reinstall checklists in order to cover all the points and note any problems and fixes.
Dude! Fist bump 8) Now I don't have Windows in the mix at all, but that's how I do it also.
guimaster wrote:Windows runs everything. I can not think of one piece of software that I use for Linux Mint that I can't get on Windows. Either the exact identical software will exist for Windows, or of course, many freeware and even open source alternatives.
Why not just do everything in Windows?
Well, why not? Linux runs everything I need, but if Windows is the one that works best for you why not just use Windows? "Microsoft is evil" is a bit of a silly and generalized argument. Instead, what does Linux give you that Windows doesn't? So far you have only listed: "one of the biggest purposes to using Linux, which is for privacy's sake." If privacy is your concern, just disconnect from the Internet and you can use Windows free from your worries about privacy. I fail to see how using both Windows and Linux, with Linux "for privacy's sake," would ease your worries about privacy as you still continue to use Windows for many tasks daily.

So I'm not meaning to troll :) But Is "privacy" really all that Linux brings to the table for you? Perhaps give that some more thought.

As always, use whatever works best for you.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

altair4 wrote:I read through your post of couple of times and it's not entirely clear to me why you are running Linux at all. If Windows has all the qualities you want why not reverse what you are doing with VirtualBox: Windows Host with a Linux Guest.
I run Linux because Microsoft is evil. That's why. It's a matter of Microsoft treating it's customer with contempt and me feeling disgusted by it. Even if I wasn't hiding Jews in my basement in <violates forum rules> Germany, I would still be opposed to the Gestapo exploring my home at their whim. Then of course I do consider myself to be a "Libertarian" and I'm a big Ron Paul fan. The US Government does not like Ron Paul fans. Despite that I don't shy away from making my opinions known on Youtube, so it's not like they don't know already. :? Personally I think Microsoft is involved with those who desire to set up a world government as well. So as you can see, lol, I have a lot of distaste toward Microsoft.

Anyway, like I said before, on occasion I start to ask myself why I go to so much trouble. I'm not saying I will switch to running Windows as my primary OS. I probably won't. I'm just expressing the arguments that pop into my mind for running Windows as primary. It would bother me to use it, but it would also make life easier.

Why do most other people run Linux in a dual-boot with Windows? Is it not for the same reasons? Yes, some people are opposed to any proprietary software. Of course I don't think that too many Linux Mint users are opposed to proprietary software, because it's included. I'm not either, so long as the company respects the rights of users to a reasonable degree. Obviously I don't expect them to give out their source code to everyone, but when they add DRM B.S. I have an issue with that. Yes, there are pirates. But we can't strip the majority's liberties away just because a small percentage of people decide to pirate software.

I should add that I first started using Ubuntu with version 8.10. I was running Windows 98, which was no longer supported. I was flat broke as well. That's what brought me to Linux. It's after that time that I purchased XP. I wanted to play Poker online and it was a better option for that purpose. I even ran XP as my primary for a while at that time but it always bothered me. I expected that to be my last Windows OS. But then I bought a netbook with 7 on it (and originally replaced it with XP and Ubuntu), and then when I saw I could grab Vista for dirt cheap, I figured I might as well get the compatibility it offers for the next 3-4 years. Now I'm thinking of buying one last Windows OS, by getting the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade for when Vista loses support. I would never use Windows 8 so Microsoft has definitely ensured that 7 would be the last I'd ever use, plus I think Linux is really catching on now with people who wouldn't have used it in the past because of Steam. I figure that by 2020, when Windows 7 loses support, that Linux would be compatible with everything, or at least VMs will have come a long way by then. :wink:
Last edited by guimaster on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

xenopeek wrote:
guimaster wrote:I make reinstall checklists in order to cover all the points and note any problems and fixes.
Dude! Fist bump 8) Now I don't have Windows in the mix at all, but that's how I do it also.
:D Yes, it's a good way to learn and it saves time later!
xenopeek wrote:Why not just do everything in Windows?

So I'm not meaning to troll :) But Is "privacy" really all that Linux brings to the table for you? Perhaps give that some more thought.
Hmm... These are questions I haven't asked myself before, and you bring up good points.

I consider myself to mostly be a person who acts on principle. If I were a politician, for example, I know that no bribe of any size would tempt me. I would also like to believe that even threats against my person would fail to deter me. I dislike Microsoft because it seems right to do so. Did you see what they tried to do with the XBox One? They wanted to strip people's liberties away even more.

I know a lot of people use Linux because they don't want to pay the "Windows Tax." But I'm not sure that is a good reason because Linux needs support as well. Linux can't exist without money. I should clarify by saying that obviously Microsoft charges "an arm and a leg," to make a profit for it's shareholders, and so Linux obviously doesn't require as much in donations as Microsoft requires in sales.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

I just had an interesting thought... I inconvenience myself because Microsoft is evil. That inconvenience makes me hate Microsoft more and more. Why am I inconveniencing myself and making myself suffer because of someone else's evil doing? :?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Yes for windows OS games

No, if it is only applications you need run, since a VM can likely handle almost any application you need to use
--and you would have seamless operation between the VM ( Virtualbox, Virtualbox(Oracle)) and the Linux host OS
https://www.virtualbox.org/
http://www.vmware.com/

If you still prefer to multiboot (dual-boot) to run games: the best reason available, but need to share files, then you will need a 3rd device, such as a usb disk drive installed at your router
  • At that point, you will have access to any shared file via the IP address or share name of the USB attached device to any computer on that local network
  • Or you use an Ethernet switch, and provide a connection to a hard drive: maybe in an old computer case or a smaller hard drive case device/product (network media component..), again using an IP address or a share name..
guimaster wrote:Windows runs everything.I can not think of one piece of software that I use for Linux Mint that I can't get on Windows.
I can, OSS software that doesn't use a cross platform framework

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2006/09/25/osswin-chronicles-windows-oss-software/
--there's a list of OSS for windows..

Not true..
--Linux supports (runs) more older hardware and devices than windows does
  • Not that this matters much to too many customers/users ..
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/
https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/installat ... orted.html
ISA cards might be one such example..
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Your choice is determined by your needs. It's that simple, or at least it should be, all the moralistic, pseudo ethics and philosophy and what-not-else is irrelevant.

I switched to dual boot Mint 13 a year and a half ago, because I hated what I saw as far as the then upcoming Win 8 was concerned,
and nowadays I do everything I need to get done in Mint 13.
The only time I boot into XP is to run Perfect Disk to defragment my NTFS partitions, and run Malwarebytes once a month or so.

Being a webdeveloper I initially found it difficult/clumsy to have to switch to Linux alternatives for the software I was so used to, old habits die slowly,
but nowadays I do everything in Mint. I just got used to it and that's all. New habits take time.

If I really needed anything on WIndows so bad I couldn't do without it, I'd have gone back to it, no second thoughts.

I don't find dual booting a hassle since my box boots into Mint 13 right away. Your setup is where most of the hassle comes from.

And all this "Micorosft is evil" is garbage really. They're no worse than your government or any other corporation... That's the way of the world.
You'll have to rip out your BIOS and graphics and controller chips and everything else if you think like that. Go back to the Abacus then.
It's a fascist corporate environment we live in.
There's still enough room to make the most of your life .. or not. Your choice.
Using Linux is not gonna change that.
Nor will voting for X or Y at the next election change it.
You can believe what you want, but that has never changed the facts, as History tells us.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

These days my Windows partition is only used for one thing. That's where I back up most of my personal files/pictures/videos to. If I decide to reinstall Linux and/or change distros, it's just minutes to copy my stuff to my new /home.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
lexon

Post by lexon »

If Windows was all ready in the PC, no problem with me. Did this with XP and Vista.

I have dual booted a couple Mint OS and no problem from what I recall. I think I had a problem once but it was the PC or hard drive but do not remember any details.

L
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

[url=http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wa-cranky50/index.html#ibm-pcon]baby duck syndrome[/url] ?
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Just a couple of quick thoughts.

I dual booted Mint 6 and Vista when I was just starting to learn Linux. At the time it was useful to have an OS that I was familiar with as a backup for the inevitable crashes while learning a new system. As I got more familiar and comfortable with Linux, I used Vista less and less - eventually removing it entirely and going to a pure Linux system. Except for a brief time trying out Windows 7, I have been Windows free for several years and have not felt left out or deprived in any way.

Whatever you want to do, there is generally a Linux app that does it. You just have to search for it.

Also, dual or multibooting is not reserved for Linux/Windows pairings. I have booted as many as 7 Linux distros on one computer at the same time. It is a great help when comparing other OS to see which you prefer.

Even if you do not share a computer between Linux and Windows, or distro-hop enough to boot several Linux distros at the same time, it is a good thing to know how to set up a multiple boot system. It will improve your understanding of Linux, if nothing else.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

mephisto wrote:Your choice is determined by your needs. It's that simple, or at least it should be, all the moralistic, pseudo ethics and philosophy and what-not-else is irrelevant.
This is the conclusion that I came to. I am now spending the majority of my time in Windows due to necessity.

Return to “Open Chat”