Help! Can't boot anything anymore after failed install!

Chat about just about anything else

Help! Can't boot anything anymore after failed install!

Postby thanosfrag on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:18 am

Hi guys,

I have a quite old SOny Vaio Laptop with Windows XP OS. Bios does not recognise USB and CD drive is not working properly. However,I found the following suggestion useful (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/171) which I only implemented the first stage. Then I rebooted my system and the following message appears:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Thanos
LM 16 'Petra' Cinnamon 64bit - HP Compaq CQ58-d69SG
thanosfrag
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help! Can't boot anything anymore after failed install!

Postby xenopeek on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:27 am

Moved here as I think your challenge now is to restore Windows to work. Without a means of booting from USB or CD I think there is only one way to fix this. Open the laptop hard disk cover (I hope it has that) and remove the hard disk. Connect the hard disk on another computer (disconnecting that computer's hard disks) and proceed from there to either install Linux Mint on the laptop's hard disk or try and restore your Windows partition. Then return the hard disk to your laptop and continue from there.

The tutorial you linked to is 3 years old and the steps detailed might no longer cover all you need to do, ending you up in your situation. I've posted a warning there. The better way to go about this is to use Plop Boot Manager, which enables you to boot from USB in a safe way by either installing Plop on a CD or to your MBR from Windows or Linux.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby caf4926 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:36 am

Am I thick or does it beg the question...How were you installing if your USB and CD are both flaky?
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Postby xenopeek on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:39 am

caf4926 wrote:Am I thick or does it beg the question...How were you installing if your USB and CD are both flaky?

Then you are thick :) See the linked tutorial for a convoluted way to install Linux Mint on a Windows computer without USB or CD boot capability. But let's focus on alternatives to what I posted on how to recover this computer from its current bricked status--with the limitation that USB and CD both don't boot, and now also the hard disk no longer boots :|
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby caf4926 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:49 am

xenopeek wrote:
caf4926 wrote:Am I thick or does it beg the question...How were you installing if your USB and CD are both flaky?

Then you are thick :) See the linked tutorial for a convoluted way to install Linux Mint on a Windows computer without USB or CD boot capability. But let's focus on alternatives to what I posted on how to recover this computer from its current bricked status--with the limitation that USB and CD both don't boot, and now also the hard disk no longer boots :|

LOL
I didn't read that. My bad for sure.
I guess pulling the HD is a good option and install from another machine. It might spack out a bit when it's re-connected but Mint is pretty robust at dealing with this. XP is just about to get flushed anyway
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Postby thanosfrag on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:50 am

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I have successfuly dealt with the issue described above. I did format my hard drive and did install linux mint via live CD as suggested. So far so good, everything works perfectly well.

Thank you very much for your help. It is much appreciated!

Best
Thanos
LM 16 'Petra' Cinnamon 64bit - HP Compaq CQ58-d69SG
thanosfrag
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Open chat