Anyone Play With A Raspberry Pi?

Chat about just about anything else

Anyone Play With A Raspberry Pi?

Postby SC23 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Im thinkin about tinkering with a Raspberry Pi or similar micro form and was wondering if anyone here had played with that type of thing.. and double bonus prizes if youve got Mint to boot on one..
SC23
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Anyone Play With A Raspberry Pi?

Postby Monsta on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:33 am

SC23 wrote:and double bonus prizes if youve got Mint to boot on one..

Don't you know there's no Mint for ARM processors?
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby SC23 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Monsta wrote:

I guess I was kinda hopin that since some of these micro devices run a Debian variant it would be possible to get a LMDE going. I also took a look at the Mint box off the main site and they are sold out with no notice as to when they will be back.

Im still figuring the whole thing out so me not knowing something is pretty standard :)
SC23
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xenopeek on Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Looks like Compulab ran out of stock, while Amazon still had some in stock, and then Amazon also ran out of stock. Compulab is manufacturing new supply.

Source: https://plus.google.com/109030194899666 ... 21NsBKRAnp

From the Google+ page for MintBox 2: https://plus.google.com/109030194899666400551/
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Yes, I tinker with one. It's a little slow so I don't think you would want to install Mint 16 on it. It makes a pretty good server on my LAN though. One of the things I like most about it for tinkering is that it is so easy to reinstall the OS because it's stored on an SD Card. I can play about as root as much as I like and don't care about messing up the system - I just copy a fresh image onto the SD Card from my PC. Very useful for learning about system admin.
Remember BlueJ 2005
FreedomOfTheOpenCode
Level 2
Level 2

Postby cornleader on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:44 pm

I have a RPI running PIMAME. I have am building an arcade cabinet and decided the RPI was the best choice for the brains. Shea Silverman has created a great distro based on Debian/Raspian. I have a full size cabinet, Xarcade TankStick, 22 Inch LCD, Logitech 2.1 speakers, working coin door, bells whistles lights all that jazz lol.

The RPI is an absolutely amazing rig. I was looking for a practical project for the RPI and figured this would be awesome. I helped a friend set up a media server on his using XMBC. He absolutely loved it and he has no linux experience.
cornleader
Level 2
Level 2

Postby SC23 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:57 pm

@FreedomOfTheOpenCode: Thats pretty much what Im hoping to do at least to start use it to learn more system stuff and have a quick easy dont matter if I wipe it clean kinda toy.

@cornleader: THAT IS AWESOME! In the long run I would like to get things like this going.. maybe some kinda media player for the car, or the house, maybe a NAS.. the possibilities are almost endless.. can I even dare say..maybe...a robot?? Yea.. I can dream..lol..

edit

oh and Xenopeek.. G+? Really? I guess ya do what ya think is right.. but man G+ gets a bad rap in the techy world.. Im a regular on slashdot and its like the redheaded whipping child of social media over there.. Thank you for the info tho :)
SC23
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xenopeek on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:16 pm

Linus Torvalds is on Google+, as are many Linux related developers that I follow, so it can't be all that bad. I've gotten that Youtubers mostly are not happy with having to use Google+ for commenting, but that's a Youtube problem--not a Google+ problem--and not my problem 8) Anyway, don't follow the overly paranoid as that way leads not to a happy life. I'm just linking you to the place where you can get updates from Compulab about MintBox 2, such as about restocking :wink:
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby SC23 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Wow.. Linus being on G+ makes me rethink it...
SC23
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cornleader on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:14 pm

When I say "building an arcade cabinet" I actually mean I have collected all the parts I need and have them all working..... just not in the same location, mostly on my coffee table. :)
cornleader
Level 2
Level 2

Postby EagleRyder on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:04 am

Hello everybody. I am a fresh newbie to all linux except for random bits and pieces (android devices, ddwrt router, etc.) Anyway I have all but decided to purchase a Raspberry Pi and make an XBMC media center out of it (possibly with a MythTV backend, that is not on topic however.) To that end I have spent this day playing with various linux USB boot sticks, thanks goes out to LiLi for making that possible. The one distro I have absolutely fallen in love with is Linux Mint. As a mainly Microsoft user over the years (yes I know, let the BBQ begin) I found this flavor of linux to be the easiest to navigate and use as opposed something like Ubuntu unity (boy did that one look like a tribute to the entire life's work of Steve Jobs, may God rest his soul.) So I was sad to find out that as of right now from what I have read there is no way to put Mint on an RPi.

SC23 wrote:
Monsta wrote:

I guess I was kinda hopin that since some of these micro devices run a Debian variant it would be possible to get a LMDE going. I also took a look at the Mint box off the main site and they are sold out with no notice as to when they will be back.

Im still figuring the whole thing out so me not knowing something is pretty standard :)

I am not a scriptor, software porting guru or even that good at using Terminal. All of my meager expertise is finding new, interesting ways to piece and adapt hardware combinations. So converting LMDE to use with RPi is out of the question for me, but as you can tell from my discertation here I am very interested in seeing just that happen. Ideally I'd like to be able to run XBMC, WMC style through LMDE on the Pi. However, I am not opposed to dual booting or even swapping out OS cards as needed.
So please if there are any new developements on making any of this happen, do tell. I work in a Comp lab with an absolute Linux whiz so installation of the solution will be easy. I just couldn't ask him to take on a full on porting project. He is an Ubuntu head anyway.
Thanx for maintaining such an informative community guys. :D
EagleRyder
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Open chat