New Plextor SSDs coming

Chat about just about anything else

New Plextor SSDs coming

Postby Fraoch on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:48 pm

http://www.storagereview.com/plextor_m6_and_m6e_series_of_ssd_solutions_announced

The M5 has a good reputation so the M6 is interesting.

What's really exciting for me though is the PCIe version. I've been wanting one of these since I first heard about them years ago. This one should work with Linux just fine as it's AHCI - no proprietary drivers required like the old OCZ RevoDrive.

Of course it will be priced at a significant premium over their regular SSD...particularly because it's labelled as "gaming". But if it's not too bad, it'd sure be neat to have.

I don't really need the speed but computers are a hobby for me - it's always exciting to see a big speed increase with an upgrade. Plus I like the novel and unusual.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New Plextor SSDs coming

Postby RacerBG on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:12 am

Well, well...

Im very happy to read that new SSD's are coming and 512 GB storage is very good capacity. Usually I never use more than 300 GB so this is very good news. And after some months or year the prices will be lower of course. :twisted:
Linux Mint User
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wheeledgoat on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:50 pm

GTFO - a PCIe hard drive??

I envision some poor sap, not unlike me, missing this news - and in a few years cracking open a computer thinking he knows what he's doing and scratching his head, wondering where the hard drive is.... never thinking to look on the PCI slots...

this does sound very cool, though! and speeds increased by 1.5x? seems worth it!

Mint installed on my still-rockin' budget build from '08:
3ghz Athlon 64 dualcore on DFI LP DK w/ 8g DDR2, GeForce GTX 760 & Turtle Beach Riviera

Win7 on my lite build of 2012:
3.1ghz i3 dualcore on Biostar H61 w/ 8g DDR3, Crucial M4 128g SSD
wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fraoch on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:29 am

wheeledgoat wrote:GTFO - a PCIe hard drive??

I envision some poor sap, not unlike me, missing this news - and in a few years cracking open a computer thinking he knows what he's doing and scratching his head, wondering where the hard drive is.... never thinking to look on the PCI slots...

this does sound very cool, though! and speeds increased by 1.5x? seems worth it!

Yup, it's an amazing idea. Flash has the potential to be very fast, and PCIe has enough bandwidth to be able to use it all - it's well beyond saturating a SATA III link. Most PCIe SSDs are PCIe x4: that's a potential of 4 GB/s (yes, a big "B"!) just for PCIe 2.0 - not even 3.0. No bottleneck there!

OCZ did this years ago with the RevoDrive, but it required proprietary drivers. Linux drivers were back-engineered and didn't support some proprietary features. Plextor has done this right and will be making them AHCI devices - no proprietary drivers needed, it will act as a hard drive out of the box.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xenopeek on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:17 am

The M6e has been reviewed on Dutch hardware.info website. On average it was 3% faster in real world tests as compared to "normal" SSDs: http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/5165/17 ... -2013-2014. Price is about 10% higher per GB than those normal SSDs. Disappointing :?
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Fraoch on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:31 pm

Yeah that's really too bad. :( It has the potential to be much faster. It does seem to win all benchmarks, but not by much, and not by enough to justify its higher price.

I see another review which was more impressed with it:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/ssd-d ... sd-review/

But yes, is the performance increase enough to justify the extra cost?

Fortunately the cost is not all that high.

BTW reading those reviews I realize the design is pretty interesting - it consists of an M6 M.2 format SSD attached to a PCIe interface card.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Open chat