Upgrade Linuxmint.com

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
chrismervyn

Upgrade Linuxmint.com

Post by chrismervyn »

Hello!
I want to congratulate you for creating one of the best looking and most user-friendly OS's out there. Kudos to y'all!
I have been using Linux Mint since version 12. So, I have been using it for sometime now. I come from commercial telecom programming background. These days, I have a start-up that caters to SME's providing PBX solutions as well as CRM's and ERP's.
Mint has really helped me a lot. As I can't afford Windows for my employees and most of them come from that background. Linux can be quite intimidating to them. But, due to Mint, the adaptability has really risen and I can't express enough gratitude.
So, I would like to give back to the community.
My primary skill is in PBX's and Wholesale Telephony switches :( But, I am also pretty potent at designing interfaces (read websites). I would like to place a mock up for your consideration. Any feedback and pointers would be very appreciated before I start. I am going to start my mock up from the 19th of Feb 2014. Please let me know if anybody wants to join me and also if any one would like some new features to be made available.

Cheers!
Christian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Upgrade Linuxmint.com

Post by xenopeek »

Christian, probably best to contact the Linux Mint project lead about this directly. Either by email (see development team email address here http://www.linuxmint.com/contactus.php), or on IRC. You can find clem on IRC in #linuxmint-dev on irc.spotchat.org. If you are on Linux Mint, just open XChat from your menu (or Quassel/Konverstation on KDE) and you will automatically join the help channel for your Linux Mint edition. Once in, type the following to go to the developer channel:

Code: Select all

/join #linuxmint-dev
chrismervyn

Post by chrismervyn »

Thanks! Just had a wonderful conversation with Clem :)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

We had the beginning but after one of your question it had to go private and we loosed everything :lol:
chrismervyn

Post by chrismervyn »

Ha ha... I apologize for that! But, what I can sum up is that, over all, I grasped some pretty important concepts about the philosophies behind Mint. So, I am at a stage where I am feverishly working on the mock-up for the site. I would also like to set up a feedback topic on the design in this forum.
TechGuyAndrew

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

Will you have screenshots of the mockup or a live version that could be viewed publicly? I would be glad to provide feedback because I too think that linuxmint.com deserves a facelift.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

if you'd like to see one that is well done visit The SASS Wire
¡Viva la Resistencia!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Tastes and colors are subjective... SASS WIRE seems 10 years old to my eyes and very far from what is expected... :lol:
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

killer de bug wrote:Tastes and colors are subjective... SASS WIRE seems 10 years old to my eyes and very far from what is expected... :lol:
I have to agree, -- to a point.
compare with : Linux Questions board

some of this is a matter of taste: I find the Linux Question board a bit "inscrutable",-- compared with this board or the SASS Wire.

OTH, a BBS is .... a BBS and mainly what they do is offer message threads. From CompuServe and FidoNet to whatever is being used nowadays -- presentation is the key to usability. Presentation is an art. The temptation is to over-present resulting in a cluttered display that readers won't take time with.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

This second website is even worst... :lol:

The new web is more something like this http://manjaro.org/
But I know for a fact that Chris will do even better :wink:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

chrismervyn,
Were you talking about linuxmint.com or forums.linuxmint.com or both?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

He was speaking about linuxmint.com
But maybe he will offer some work for the forum too :D
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

killer de bug wrote:This second website is even worst... :lol:

The new web is more something like this http://manjaro.org/
But I know for a fact that Chris will do even better :wink:
I'll be looking forward to seeing it!!
¡Viva la Resistencia!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Do we have any news of a new website Chris? :)
boban

Post by boban »

Manjaro website looks good. There is Linuxvoice which has a neat website and forums section.

I think its great idea to revamp linuxmint website and the forums. Such a great distro like Linux Mint should have a better one, and maybe advertisements arranged differently. Eager to know what Chris has in mind.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Forget about this... He will never post again. It was 8 months ago. He just changed its mind... :roll:
boban

Post by boban »

killer de bug wrote:Forget about this... He will never post again. It was 8 months ago. He just changed its mind... :roll:
That's right killer.
Can we take this idea forward and bring to Clem and team's notice, and see if it is possible. I would love to see this happen.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think what we need is people that want to "see" it happen; we need people that want to "make" it happen :wink:
boban

Post by boban »

xenopeek wrote:I don't think what we need is people that want to "see" it happen; we need people that want to "make" it happen :wink:
Okay, I am leaving then. Bye.
Just kidding :wink:
So lets make it happen then. I am in for it.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

boban wrote: So lets make it happen then. I am in for it.
You know how to design a web site? Because I don't. I know what I like as a design but I don't know how to code it :lol:

Return to “Open Chat”