AutoCad

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
oshaniyaa

AutoCad

Post by oshaniyaa »

I have a doubt regarding AUTOCAD.I can"t change the values inside the drawing.I used "ed" command but no use. the values or the measurements are in slant position and thats giving me a tough time!! if you want i can even send you the drawing over the net.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: AutoCad

Post by vrkalak »

Best Cad program?

As many of the older Linux users may know, I am a Registered Architect (retired) living and working in the US.
I have been using Linux and Open Source exclusively for a few years now. I refuse to use AutoCAD.

I am asked these types of questions all the time.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
AutoCAD is the only true Architectural Design program accepted by most professionals. The AIA (an American Architects Fraturnity) almost disbarred me for not using this Windows-based software.
While there are NO Linux-based drafting programs to rival the maturity of AutoCAD, some like Archimedes, LibreCAD and SagCAD are gaining popularity 'Worldwide' over the AutoCAD drafting/CAD market. In the next couple of years, I can see these programs giving the Windows-based AutoCAD -- serious competition. QCad and SagCAD save their files in the same DXF format as AutoCAD so my saved files are compatible and viewable on most 'any computer.

Like many Windows-based programs, I never did get AutoCAD to work through Wine or VirtualBox.
AutoCAD is very glitchy and unstable, in that regard.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Archimedes-for-Linux (CAD) is not so user-friendly a program/application as one might think. Although this is a good program, the learning curve is steep.

My recommendations for good user-friendly Architectural/Engineering programs are: QCad, SagCAD LibreCAD and Blender.

QCad is an excellent architectural/enginnering Linux-based program.
SagCAD is a great architectural program for Linux, most similar to AutoCAD.
LibreCAD is a new, up and coming architectural-specific rival to AutoCAD and completely Free Open Source.

Blender is a 3D modelling program (similar to Googles' Sketchup) . . . I use Blender for my 3D Perspective Architectural Renderings.

No need to search the web for any of these programs/applications, as they are all in the Debian/Mint/Ubuntu repositories.
Simply use the Synaptic Manager, select 'install' . . . Done.
If you want, read up on each, check out their respective Wiki pages ... they each, also, have good Help-Forums.

And, yes ... I agree that the price for AutoCAD is outrageous.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Unfortunately, I am usually busy, either with work or Linux, though I do frequent the LinuxMint Forum - daily.
If you need to get a hold of me > I am an Admin at the LinuxMint Forums (main and spanish forum) and a Debian-Maintainer.
perpetualtimewaster

Re: Sagcad

Post by perpetualtimewaster »

Vrcalak-
Thank you for recommending several Autocad alternatives for Linux. I downloaded Sagcad & attempted to read the help section. Most of it was written in other languages than English. I have no Autocad experience. Do you know of a tutorial that will save me time trying to figure out how to use it? I'm over 55 years old & painfully slow in mastering new computer programs. (a perpetual time waster) Any suggestions will be most appreciated!
perpetualtimewaster

Re: AutoCad

Post by perpetualtimewaster »

Hello again-

I installed SagCAD but since I couldn't find any tutorials I removed it & installed LibreCAD. There are some LibreCAD tutorials on You Tube but the instructor clicks on the buttons rapidly & the buttons are so tiny they're difficult to see. It would take forever to pause the video every time a button is clicked. Is there a way to play You Tube in slow motion so you can follow the instructions? Are there any tutorials available where the instructor doesn't move his cursor too fast to follow? Old farts like myself didn't grow up on computers so it's difficult to learn anything when someone moves theire cursor & selects functions too quickly.

Return to “Open Chat”