Computerworld: Microsoft and Windows XP

Chat about just about anything else

Computerworld: Microsoft and Windows XP

Postby cgs1025 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:29 am

Last edited by karlchen on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved topic to open chat, because it is not about Linux at all
cgs1025
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Computerworld: Microsoft and Windows XP

Postby benali72 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Interesting article. MS is in a real box. It's impractical for them to support XP forever, but when they drop it they run the risk of major bad publicity. And as the article says, telling XP people to go to Win 8 is ridiculous... what they're really saying with that is "buy a new box with new MS software."

A big reason I got into Linux was to jump off the "Windows treadmill." At least when many linux distros change, it's for real reasons -- not for planned obsolescence.

I wonder how many of those XP users will just junk their machines, versus how many will try Mint or some other linux solution?
benali72
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Habitual on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:08 pm

What's a landing but a take off in reverse?
Habitual
Level 8
Level 8

Postby lgt791 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:46 pm

I use windows xp on my " TV " machine. I like the wintv app v7 that came with the card. Like it much better than kaffeine or Metv that i would be using under linux. Other than that xp in the last 5 years has not crashed one time. In my opinion microsoft made a bad decision to end xp. If something is still working and doing the job why change it ? Just because it is a few years old ? If that s the case why do companies still hire and have as employees who are older ?
lgt791
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mike acker on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:37 am

this report left me wondering what to write. or if writing anything would ever help anywhere

texting ATM gets cash for hackers

the only response I can think of is "what?"
Home assembled box using ASUS M5A88-M motherboard and x64 AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz cpu; 4x4MB DDR3 RAM
mike acker
Level 4
Level 4

Postby skywolfblue on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:20 pm

mike acker wrote:this report left me wondering what to write. or if writing anything would ever help anywhere

texting ATM gets cash for hackers

the only response I can think of is "what?"

The title is a little bit misleading.
Reading farther, they have one phone they have to attach to the ATM via USB cable, and then they send messages via another phone. Most ATMs have security cameras or in an area visible to people. Someone walking up to the ATM and fiddling with it for a few moments, and leaving a cell phone and USB cable attached is probably going to be noticed.

Still, XP is bad, abysmal, evil. ATM companies should have upgraded a long time ago.
skywolfblue
Level 2
Level 2

Postby daveinuk on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:23 pm

skywolfblue wrote: probably going to be noticed.

Or not . . . . .. . . . as is apparent, thieves are clever, at least the ones that don't get caught . . . . . And this is not the only way they can steal from the ATMs, there appear to be a number of methods involving tampering with the casings and inserting malware via usb, if you're practised and quick enough. . . . . . .
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5

Postby gtsfer on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:37 pm

What I find interesting is that M$ seems to have no plan for enterprise systems support either. It's bad enough consumers have said "no way" to W8. They can't give this thing away even if they offer a free car at this point. That may be next as each week they try a new ploy. But businesses are saying no way too. It's a complete failure and they refuse to admit it.

I see another write off coming down the pike just as they did for the Surface. I wonder can you even do that? Write off a few tens of millions in unsold software licenses?
There's no Windows in my house. And it's a brighter and happier place now.
LMDE Mate, Cinnamon 17, KDE 17, Debian 7.6.0. Edit your first post and add SOLVED to the Subject if it's resolved.
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Open chat