Protecting Closed Source Software on Open Source OS

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
FirebirdTN

Protecting Closed Source Software on Open Source OS

Post by FirebirdTN »

Being new to Linux, but loving the concept, I am just curious is there any way to protect proprietary software on an Open Source system, such as product keys, or activation?

I know my question seems counter-productive in a community dedicated to open-source, but hear me out...

Obviously, Microsoft has dominated the desktop market for a very long time. Good or bad, their proprietary software model has allowed for the creation of new businesses and companies. (not that I really embrace free market capitalism, but that is a topic for another day)

Obviously I am new here, and I haven't "jumped ship" just yet. But unless something radically changes, I see Microsoft shifting their focus on what will sell the most versions of their operating system. And it looks like that future is tablets/all in ones. I can't help but wonder if they are going to leave desktop business owners hung out to dry, since the traditional "desktop PC" will no longer be the dominating computing device in the marketplace.

Thinking in terms of my own industry, what would it take for these small/medium companies whose primary revenue source is through software to be able to shift their supported platform to an open source system? Or is that even possible?

I'm sure there are also other companies whose primary source of income may also be through a combination of hardware/software. For example, my industry uses some specialized systems that you will not find in any other industry, so the need for some of our software would be so small, that most developers wouldn't even bother to write an open source package, with some exceptions of course.

So, what would it take for these companies to be able to abandon the Microsoft platform and/or start supporting open source/alternative platforms, while still protecting their business model? I have very little influence in my industry, but when the opportunity arises, I would love to be able to tell our vendors "would you consider supporting the Linux platform-you can protect your product via x".

I guess I am pipe dreaming, but I am just absolutely disgusted with the Mirosoft Windows platform, and really hope they continue to be the primary factor in their own demise. And, I am not a "hater". I am typing this on a WinXP machine right now, and have used pretty much Microsoft products since getting my first PC is 1998.

Thanks,

-Alan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Protecting Closed Source Software on Open Source OS

Post by xenopeek »

FirebirdTN wrote:I am just curious is there any way to protect proprietary software on an Open Source system, such as product keys, or activation?
DRM is implementable in any closed source software. This is independent of the operating system. Look at Steam for example, which for most games implements DRM--also on Linux. Taking rights away from your paying customers is perfectly possible also on Linux.

Return to “Open Chat”