mfr backdoors

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

mfr backdoors

Post by mike acker »

I'm going to post this and just mark it "Suggested Reading"

Supposedly patched router backdoor was simply hidden

excerpt
The backdoor binary is still present in the new firmware version, he says, and the backdoor on port 32764 can be "opened" again by sending a specific network packet to the router.

He proved the matter by publishing PoC exploit code - based on earlier code created by Wilmer van der Gaast - which delivers an MD5 hash of the router’s model number.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Re: mfr backdoors

Post by kenetics »

One has to wonder what the intentions are for including this backdoor.

I have cable instead of DSL and use the Linux-based dd-wrt firmware for my wireless router. I don't suppose DSL users have any alternative to their router company's firmware.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

The packet needs to come from the LAN or ISP. I don't see how one would exploit this from elsewhere. Low risk to the end user, but still further encouragement to use only routers/gateways with open source firmware as mentioned above (dd-wrt, Tomato, OpenWRT derivatives, firewall distros, etc). Have the big manufacturers even patched Heartbleed yet?
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: mfr backdoors

Post by mike acker »

kenetics wrote:One has to wonder what the intentions are for including this backdoor.

I have cable instead of DSL and use the Linux-based dd-wrt firmware for my wireless router. I don't suppose DSL users have any alternative to their router company's firmware.
it certainly leaves one thinking, ---doesn't it? I have often compared the war against hacking to the world's worst game of Whac-a-Mole
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

NIST dumps Dual_EC_DRBG

Post by mike acker »

NIST finally dumps NSA-tainted random number algorithm

excerpt
Why this should have surprised anyone is hard to understand. Problems with Dual_EC_DRBG were first reported almost eight years ago and in 2007 Dan Shumow and Niels Ferguson of Microsoft showed, as Bruce Schneier put it at the time, "...the algorithm contains a weakness that can only be described a backdoor."
maybe i should get me a batting helmet and line it with tinfoil. :|
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Open Chat”