Why Linux will not displace Windows

Chat about just about anything else

Postby scorp123 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:12 am

kenetics wrote:Hey, that fellow seems to know what he's talking about. He was spot on in his review of OpenSUSE.
I disagree. OpenSUSE 10.2 isn't bad at all (10.1 was horrible BS though). I won't go into too many details here, but SUSE 10.2 is one of the finest distros available right now. It would be nice for Mint if we had some of SUSE's features, e.g. "Yast". Or the desktop polish that SUSE comes with out of the box. :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby kenetics on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:57 am

scorp123 wrote:
kenetics wrote:Hey, that fellow seems to know what he's talking about. He was spot on in his review of OpenSUSE.
I disagree. OpenSUSE 10.2 isn't bad at all (10.1 was horrible BS though). I won't go into too many details here, but SUSE 10.2 is one of the finest distros available right now. It would be nice for Mint if we had some of SUSE's features, e.g. "Yast". Or the desktop polish that SUSE comes with out of the box. :wink:

I think Clem liked everything but the package manager. It's one of the distros I have on my computer and it's very professional. I had my share of problems with Yast. It took a number of tries before I could even connect to the repositories and update. Everything seems a bit slow, but with a faster computer it would probably be ok. I can see why experienced Linux users would like it.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Postby allforcarrie on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:08 pm

scorp123 wrote:
clem wrote:MINT = Mint Is Not Trawberry !

MINT = Mint is not Terrible :D

Money Is Not Traded (for mint)
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby scorp123 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:07 pm

kenetics wrote:I think Clem liked everything but the package manager.
Well ... you have to know how to set it up properly. And using alternative + complimentary package managers such as "smart" or even "apt" (= apt4rpm) is not that hard. However I agree that things such as "smart" should come pre-configured and ready-to-be-used out of the box ... but unfortunately they aren't. But as I said ... it's not that hard. :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Previous

Return to Open chat