Why Linux will not displace Windows

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

TalkBack 84 of 197:
Next
Previous

You are kidding arent you ?
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.
Posted by: jerryleecooper Posted on: 03/14/07

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12355-0. ... 99&message

:) :) :) :) :) :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

OMFG! I read that guy's ("jerryleecooper") post ... What an idiot!!

Sort of reminds me of this :D :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

WOW! Please don't think all americans are like that, I promise you we really aren't. :wink:

BTW, I think the author of the article does bring up a good point. Its sort of like the news here in the states. If its not on the tv, most people (not all) won't know it happened.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I love people like that, they're just so funny :) So litterate and yet so stupid.

Note: There are more guys like this one than people like us you know? Linux is ready for the desktop. The World just isn't ready for Linux...

Clem
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Quote:
In the end, poor Socrates was forced to resign from life. He was accused of introducing new daemons, they said; probably Linux, I say. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"STREPSIADES, Great gods! will these nights never end? will daylight never come? I heard the cock crow long ago and my slaves are snoring still!"
Aristophanes

Quote: So litterate and yet so stupid.
Confucius say: Stupidity can only be exceeded by imbecility.

Take a look here!
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/814
Last edited by npap on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Why Linux will not displace Windows

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote: In the end, poor Socrates was forced to resign from life. He was accused of introducing new daemons, they said; probably Linux, I say.
Ancient Greek "daimon" (δαιμων), Christian "demon" and UNIX-ish "daemon" are not nearly the same. BTW, are you aware what "daemon" stands for and why it is called like that??

D isk
A and
E xecution
MON itor

= D.A.E.MON. = daemon ...

Linux is not a "daemon" btw, it's a kernel running on top of the GNU system ... hence "GNU/Linux" :wink:

So if you want to compare stories of the ancient Greeks with modern OS (never mind the gap of 2500+ years between) you should at least do it right :wink:
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

'Daemon' was used in a metaphoric sense (not literally). It was what Socrates was accused of, ' introducing new, revolutionary ideas'.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:'Daemon' was used in a metaphoric sense (not literally). It was what Socrates was accused of, ' introducing new, revolutionary ideas'.
I know :wink:

Socrates was anti-democratic it seems? Not really the personality I'd bring into connection with Linux :twisted:

EDIT: I just found this :D :D :D
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Socrates

"I drank what?"
--Socrates after drinking the Conium
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Thanks for the link Scorp,
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Socrates
The guy who wrote this is a better comedian than Aristophanes.
We need fellows like that at the Mint Café. Does he have a BS degree? Or a degree on BS. :)

BTW, I didn't actually know the meaning of DAEMON in Linux.

EDIT. After some further research on related articles of the BS comedian above, I realized that the fellow must have a degree in Scatology or Coprology.
Last edited by npap on Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:BTW, I didn't actually know the meaning of DAEMON in Linux.
Some claim that this is a "backronym" (acronym forged after people had begun to use this term).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_daemon

Quote from Wikipedia:

"In the Unix System Administration Handbook, Evi Nemeth has this to say about daemons:

"Many people equate the word daemon with the word demon, implying some kind of Satanic connection between UNIX and the underworld. This is an egregious misunderstanding. Daemon is actually a much older form of demon; daemons have no particular bias towards good or evil, but rather serve to help define a person's character or personality. The ancient Greeks' concept of a personal daemon was similar to the modern concept of a guardian angel --- eudaemonia is the state of being helped or protected by a kindly spirit. As a rule, UNIX systems seem to be infested with both daemons and demons." (p403)

Humor

The term daemon often leads to humorous connections with its mythical homonym demon; for example, systems might have an exorcise command to kill off undesired daemons .... "
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Well Scorp,
Your knowledge and interest in languages are similar to mine.
It is strange that some computer science acronyms have a real meaning when pronounced as words.
For example, did you know that G.N.O.M.E, pronounced gnomy in Greek, means an opinion?

Now, we know more about D.A.E.MON. Is it just a coincidence?
A Daemon could be an evil spirit or a genius. It has come to be applied, nowadays, in a better sense, meaning somebody with a high IQ.

All of you computer Gurus like to play with dual-meaning scientific terminology. :)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:All of you computer Gurus like to play with dual-meaning scientific terminology. :)
Pure coincidence :D
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

MINT = Mint Is Not Trawberry !

How 'bout that one hey ? :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:MINT = Mint Is Not Trawberry !
MINT = Mint is not Terrible :D
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

MINT = Mint is not True :oops: it's just a DREAM :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

MINT = Mint Is a Nifty Thing :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Mint Increases Neuronal Transactions :D
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

MINT IS ADDICTIVE :)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:MINT IS ADDICTIVE :)
"Mint is addictive" would be = M.I.A. ... but we are trying to find recursive acronyms :D

MINT = Mint inflates Npap's Tsatsiki ?? :D :D :D
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

It is true that Tzatziki, containing a great deal of garlic, may add to the effect of a hangover, when combined with alcohol. :)

C0 = 1, Cn + 1 = (4n + 2)Cn / (n + 2).
How about this recursion above. :)

Return to “Open Chat”