Paradigm shift in File Managers

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Paradigm shift in File Managers

Post by mike acker »

ok
I've installed XFE and will give it a shake-out

I used Explorer2 on Windows and that was pretty good and I have used Krusader a lot on various linux systems

as far as search goes I'm not sure it belongs in the file manager -- except for searching on file names. I've been using RECOLL now as a desk-top search and I rate that program with five stars: excellent work. ( RECOLL indexes your documents and therein lies the difference )

the thing that I'll be most interested in is what I call "target identification" : it is too easy, when using a dual panel program -- or two instances of a single panel program to drag and drop a file into an un-intended target -- usually another directory -- and I have made more than one embarrassing error in that manner

I've been having trouble with the installer on my LMDE system : this one reported program not installed -- someone else is using the installer-- ??
when i went back to it -- it had completed the install properly . hopefully this little glitch will be in one of our fixes coming along

one more thing i'll be looking for is a camera import feature

1830 hrs

I played with it a little,--- the thing I'd like to see is a "target area" : when you open a directory that has lots of sub-directories such that there is no blank line at the end of the list: it is difficult to drag and drop into that target without inadvertently hitting a directory that is not the intended target. for example, if I could just drag and drop onto the margin off the end of the listing this could be taken as "add to the existing list". suppose i have 100 sub-directories and I want to bring in another one and make that 101 sub-directories. it isn't easy . i usually end up switching to icon mode so as to get some blank space to use as the target.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Regarding the Xfe search feature, I believe that feature was added in version 1.37. LMDE repos are stuck on version 1.34. Jessie repos have 1.37.
JRG

Post by JRG »

mike acker wrote:ok
I've installed XFE and will give it a shake- out

[...]

1830 hrs

I played with it a little,--- the thing I'd like to see is a "target area" : when you open a directory that has lots of sub-directories such that there is no blank line at the end of the list: it is difficult to drag and drop into that target without inadvertently hitting a directory that is not the intended target. for example, if I could just drag and drop onto the margin off the end of the listing this could be taken as "add to the existing list". suppose i have 100 sub-directories and I want to bring in another one and make that 101 sub-directories. it isn't easy . i usually end up switching to icon mode so as to get some blank space to use as the target.
I usually right click on the file or directory and choose "Copy to" or "Move to" as appropriate. The default location is the other panel. What's also useful is the ability to specify a different name -- if both panels are showing the same directory, that simply makes a copy. Mind you, I'd prefer a "Duplicate" function be available, but I can manage.
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

I've adopted both styles of file managers. I use tuxcmd for the 2-panel when I need it---that is, when I have to do a considerable amount of file operations/copy/move/etc, and the immediate access to the terminal for file ops is nice. For just accessing/opening a file or 2 that I need quickly, I use Caja, which also gives me fast direct access to my "Places," extra mounted drives, network shares, bookmarked directories, etc.
That's the power of Linux: options! Why tie yourself down like a Windows user?
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

JRG wrote:{snip}

I usually right click on the file or directory and choose "Copy to" or "Move to" as appropriate. The default location is the other panel. What's also useful is the ability to specify a different name -- if both panels are showing the same directory, that simply makes a copy. Mind you, I'd prefer a "Duplicate" function be available, but I can manage.
thanks; I'll try that.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

linux-dummie wrote:That's the power of Linux: options! Why tie yourself down like a Windows user?
I'm pretty sure that there are more Windows that Linux file managers around. Guess that's why.
AlanWalker

Post by AlanWalker »

mike acker wrote: I played with it a little,--- the thing I'd like to see is a "target area" : when you open a directory that has lots of sub-directories such that there is no blank line at the end of the list: it is difficult to drag and drop into that target without inadvertently hitting a directory that is not the intended target. for example, if I could just drag and drop onto the margin off the end of the listing this could be taken as "add to the existing list". suppose i have 100 sub-directories and I want to bring in another one and make that 101 sub-directories. it isn't easy . i usually end up switching to icon mode so as to get some blank space to use as the target.
I don't see the problem.

Ctl+F4 displays the tree pane and 2 directory panels.

If one wants to copy directory "A" into a directory "B" that has 100 directories in it, one can drag and drop "A" from anywhere in the tree pane into "B" using the tree pane; the same with any file from either panel into "B"; the nice thing about doing that is it yields a graphic representation of the source relative to the target - there is less of a chance that one moves or copies in error.

Alternatively one can go one directory above the target directory and drag the source file or directory to the target directory.

Am I missing something here?

Return to “Open Chat”