THE music thread

Chat about just about anything else

THE music thread

Postby EODM on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:20 am

Hi everybody!

Hope that won't be considered as flood, but I think that I'm in the right section to post this sooooo... Let's talk about music!

What kind of music are you listening to?
Do you have some artist to make us discover?
Do you play any instrument?

And what are you listening to right now?

Because I'm a HUGE music lover, I'm not the only one here!

I listen to all kind of music, I'm actually listening to rap, metal and weird techno music ^^
For the artist I have a lot but here's one my favorite, they are french, it's called Hocus Pocus : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vunkLyj2z5g
And I'm listening to this now!
I'm a bass player but I also sing... Don't know if voice can be considered as an instrument!

Have a nice day :)
I'd definitely attend a marijuana legalization rally if I wasn't too stoned to leave my apartment...
EODM
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: THE music thread

Postby exploder on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:55 am

Another music lover here! I like rock and metal but occasionally like a little blue grass.

Listening to this right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW0hxbrmFhM

It's the J Giels Band Band. These guys were really great back then, still darn good after all these years too!

I play guitar when my kids aren't driving me crazy. :) Got a nice keyboard I hope to learn to play sometime.

Edit: Just in case you haven't ever seen these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1slsQ_rXpzQ

The only band that could make a harmonica sound cool!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby killer de bug on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:55 pm

I don't listen that much music. But at the moment I like thinks like this:
Imagine Dragons on top of the world and Placebo Loud like love
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby xenopeek on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:58 am

Currently I really like The Pierces. Folk meets pop meets psychedelic meets rock. Or something :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TySVbwKixD8
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Night Wing on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:06 am

I like all kinds of music with one exception. About the only kind of music I don't care for is Rap. Below is one song I like, "Life of a Stranger", because of its strong lyrics and melody. Song starts playing at the 3 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZjxulVMpag
Night Wing
Level 1
Level 1

Postby niowluka on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:22 am

I love music. All kinds, though mostly I listen to music created in last century, they make absolute s***t these days (I'm 34 btw...)

Mostly all kinds of 'electronic' music: ltj bukem, pfm, klute, aux 88, i-f, dopplereffekt, autechre, black dog, underworld just to name a few.
Also a bit of metal: tool my absolute favourite, bit of rap and hip hop and random other things...

From new stuff I listen to Analog Airwaves station on live365.com which is epic...
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 3.16.1 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC
niowluka
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MartyMint on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:13 pm

Wu Tang
MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4

Postby brandeberger on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:53 am

A few bands I'm into at the moment, love music myself.

Diablo Swing Orchestra
A Swedish band that mix metal with traditional swing, sounds bizarre, but they are fantastic band. Their last album Pandora's Pinata is, for me, their best.

Vienna Teng
A Californian singer-songwriter who's been on the scene for about ten years. She has phenomenal voice and has a knack for harvesting and writing strong melodies. Her latest album Aims is a step in a new direction for her.

Troubled Town - by Jake Bugg
Not a masive fan of JB normally but this song featured as the theme-song for the ultra-violent crime drama "Happy Valley" and it is so catchy. It's sounds almost like a Johnny Cash record.
brandeberger
Level 1
Level 1

Postby /dev/urandom on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:46 am

Linux is not the only answer! :: eD2k/Kad mirrors for Linux Mint and LMDE.
Users who misspell "Windows" as "Windoze" intentionally will be considered stupid.

/dev/urandom
Level 4
Level 4

Jazz anyone?

Postby bobruzzo on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi,

Does anybody out there like quirky jazz? I like to write/record/produce my own original material. I play guitar, bass, and keys. Here is one of my albums. I played all the instruments except drums. This was recorded earlier this year in my home studio in Cranston, Rhode Island.
https://soundcloud.com/bobruzzo/sets/lydian-moods/
bobruzzo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby /dev/urandom on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Vaguely reminds me of Camel. Not sure if I'd call it jazz. I like the drums though.
Linux is not the only answer! :: eD2k/Kad mirrors for Linux Mint and LMDE.
Users who misspell "Windows" as "Windoze" intentionally will be considered stupid.

/dev/urandom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby EODM on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:16 am

Hi guys,

brandeberger : thanks for the strang metal band, I enjoyed this! Sounds strange but good in the same time ^^

bobruzzo : I love Jazz, I'll listen this as soon as possible and tell you what I thought about it.

Right now, I'm listening to black bomb A, a french metal band : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWvrIK7qSUs
I'd definitely attend a marijuana legalization rally if I wasn't too stoned to leave my apartment...
EODM
Level 1
Level 1

Postby myglaren on Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:53 pm

Well, a soapbox for me to jump on for my first post here - I really don't have any real problems with Mint but thought I would stick my nose in here anyway.
I usually use Ubuntu but this laptop (Asus) doesn't seEm to like it and trips over it's own feet after a couple of months, requiring a reinstall. No that much of a task but best avoided where possible.
Running Mint 17 currently and liking it, have had Mint on this machine for 18 months but have explored previous versions - my wife had an older laptop that I put Gloria on for her and she found it very easy to use.

As for music, I think I have a very catholic taste but currently (for the past year and a half) have had an obsession with Jackie Evancho, somewhat embarrassing as some of us similarly obsessed fans can sometimes be misinterpreted as paedophiles - Jackie was very young when she released her first CD "Prelude To A Dream" that I am listening to currently as it happens - this CD was withdrawn a couple of years ago as it is no longer representative of her rapidly developing talent - if luck is with you it can occasionally be obtained tor around £800~£1000 used.
Jackie was eight years old when she recorded that!
That was a privately produced CD. Her first commercial CD went platinum within a couple of weeks, she became the youngest soloist to go platinum and has achieved similar success with all her ventures.

Jackie is quite prolific although she has only released Four CDs to date, another due in September though. There are loads of examples on YouTube taken from her many concerts that have never made it to disc - rather unfortunate really but her decision.
Unlike many child stars, she controls her own output with the full backing of her family. She is the final decider of everything she does though.
She also was invited by Robert Redford to play his daughter in "The Company You Keep" and aced it - as she seems to do with everything.
Not just a phenomenal voice and interpretive singer, she has a delightful personality and has been named as one of America's politest people as well as one of the latest movers and shakers.

There are so many superb examples of this girl's work that it is very difficult to limit it to just a few examples.

This is one of here earliest appearances: With David Foster in Las Vegas, barely ten years old!

Nessun Dorma - guest appearance on AGT a year after she failed to win it.

National Anthem

Dark Waltz. Recorded at her first PBS concert. barely eleven years old.

The Summer Knows with Jumaane Smith.

Lovers also from her first PBS concert.

Again with Jumaane Smith but here on his latest CD, La Vie En Rose

She sings in French, Italian, Latin and even Japanese - she was asked to sing for the Japanese Emperor and his family so learned a little Japanese and a traditional Japanese song.
She can hear a song three times the sing it - no flaws, regardless of the language. No voice coach, no entourage, just her parents and siblings.

Bridge Over Troubled Water

At the National Memorial Day 2014 - a deliberately subdued version of the two songs she sang that day in honour of the solemnity of the occasion. Now fourteen years old.

Finally a very recent 'pop' song from her, Go Time.

If you like these examples I'm sure that you, as I, will be curious about her many other achievements, too numerous to list here. A truly exemplary young person.

When I first heard her I had attached to my main computer a £300 Cambridge sound system. After I had spent four days straight watching and listening to her, in tears a lot of the time - the Evancho Effect - see the audience in that first clip! - I had to replace the sound system with a much better one, all the better to hear her with :)

Other singers and musicians in my collection include Happy Rhodes, Myléne Farmer, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Patti Smith, PJ Harvey, Loreena McKennit, Zhao Cong, Zhong TingTing, Jian Ting, The Twelve Girls Band, Tinariwen, Tom Waits, Dylan, Donovan, Neil Young, CSN(Y) Jeff Beck, Orianthi, Joss Stone, Imogen Heap, Ana Netrebko, Hayley Westenra, Dead Can Dance, Elina Garanca, Sissel Kyrkebo, Vas, Vanessa Paradis, Vanesa Mae, Nightwish/Tarja Turunen, Zep, Emerson, Lake & Plamer, King Crimson, West, Bruce & Lang, Eleftheria Arvanitaki, Athena Andreadis, Evgenia Laguna, Bo Hansson, Björn J:son Lindh, Gillian Welch, Holly Cole, Vangelis, Mike Oldfield, Heather Nova, Savage Rose... and many more.
myglaren
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Open chat