OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Chat about just about anything else

OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby Zorba on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:23 am

I'm considering buying MacBook Air and I have a few questions for you guys: I have never used any macs before and I'm really curious about what sets it apart from other OSes. OS X is highly praised for its looks and speed but what I don't understand is if it is a unix-like, just like Linux, why would it be so different. I went DuckDuckGoing forums and stuff and I find something tottally different; most users, including some OSX forums member, praise Linux Mint in particular over OSX for the above traits, especially speed, while others OS X. What I want to know is:

1- Is OS X a better choice and why?
2- If I get a MacBook Air and install Linux Mint on it would I get any boosts in speed and graphics?
3- Is it true that OS X has backports?
4- Which one is faster: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon or OS X Mountain Lion?
5- I have been using Linux as my main and only OS for 4 years now with no issues at all, just a few ironing from time to time, and all my family like it (namely Linux Mint) . Would I face problems setting things up on an OS X?
6- Does it include codecs by default just like Linux Mint?
7- Is it as flexible as Linux Mint in terms of customization?
8- Does it have effects like Cinnamon?

Thanks guys :D :D

Image Image
Image
User avatar
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Tunisia

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby konjad on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:50 pm

Weren't you the one who complained that Linux Mint 17 is a terrible turd and you switch to Ubuntu?
User avatar
konjad
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Poland

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby MartyMint on Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:01 pm

You should buy a Mac and spend as much time as you can on Mac forums.
User avatar
MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby DrHu on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:16 pm

Fans will probably say Apple is better; it certainly exists as a platform (hardware + OS + Software), but so does Google Android

I actually find some actions on a MAC OSX to be strange, especially Finder. I quite often find a MACbook to have a twitchy mouse, perhaps that is something that can be fixed with an appropriate setting for the touchpad--> don't know for sure.

Though in many respects it won't be that much different than windows explorer (file manager) or any of the various Linux file managers provided with different desktop styles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... e_managers
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2512

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1681424
--I think some of the common myths will apply, even if just myths : example It just works..
    Never completely true for any OS..

Additionally some software that exists for Apple OSX is also available for Linux
--not Ms Office, of course
    But I simply use LibreOffice
--and the only problem I usually have is spacing on documents when using Ms docx vs Writer docx mode
A PDF export fixes all these isses
--and as a more portable document format is probably better anyway!.


I still have a windows XP pro running and don't intend to change it any time soon or ever, it still runs fine and is good for PC games
    Point being: I don't need to keep jumping to the newest platform or OS to feel I have a good computing/user experience..
    --might make me a bad customer/ not trending so well, I guess.
User avatar
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6594
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby Distro-Don on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:48 pm

MartyMint wrote:You should buy a Mac and spend as much time as you can on Mac forums.

Ditto!
Distro-Don
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby skywolfblue on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Zorba wrote:1- Is OS X a better choice and why?
2- If I get a MacBook Air and install Linux Mint on it would I get any boosts in speed and graphics?
3- Is it true that OS X has backports?
4- Which one is faster: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon or OS X Mountain Lion?
5- I have been using Linux as my main and only OS for 4 years now with no issues at all, just a few ironing from time to time, and all my family like it (namely Linux Mint) . Would I face problems setting things up on an OS X?
6- Does it include codecs by default just like Linux Mint?
7- Is it as flexible as Linux Mint in terms of customization?
8- Does it have effects like Cinnamon?


I have a very pronounced apple-bias, I've used apple computers for ages. And have always felt that OSX was the pinnacle of OS design. The only reason I switched lately is I got tired paying and arm and a leg for hardware repairs.

1- A) The "just works" philosophy is very true for OS X. Mint has come a long way, but I'd still be careful to suggest to just anyone out there that they could install and run Mint without running into a problem. I could tell anyone to install OS X and they'd be able to run it, and learn their way around it, it really is so simple.
B) Column-View file manager. I'm sad Dolphin doesn't have this anymore, I don't know of any other linux file manager that does. Reading the post on why dolphin no longer included it, it seems like it's too complicated a thing for any one person to maintain alone. Being able to navigate dense file trees while dragging and dropping, or just using the arrow keys. It really is blazing awesome.
C) Cairo dock is nice, but it can't mimic the way OS X handles windows and applications. Which is real bummer because I think that the OS X implementation is very intuitive and the way "it should be".

2- Speed? Not likely. Graphics? Probably, Mac OS X comes packaged with it's drivers, meaning you can't update the video drivers aside from the once-every-aeon software system update. So linux mint has better video drivers. Also, apple has been really bad about updating their version of OpenGL.

3- No, not really. OS X is very sleek and dropped a lot of baggage by not worrying about backwards compatibility. But the cost is that you have to keep relatively up-to-date.

4- OS or applications? It depends. As an OS, X is very fast, but Linux Mint has better video card drivers.

5- Yes.

7- No. It is customizable somewhat. It makes up for it's lack of customization by having pretty rocking defaults.

8- Yes it has effects. It may take a little terminal action to tweak them.
Image
User avatar
skywolfblue
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:59 am

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby kurotsugi on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:08 pm

apple is known for having propietary hardware. you might could install mint on it but it might not work as good as OSX.

1- Is OS X a better choice and why?

it depends on what did you use. if you're on a mac then OSX is the best choice.

2- If I get a MacBook Air and install Linux Mint on it would I get any boosts in speed and graphics?

probably not. 1. the retina display doesn't work well on linux yet. 2. sometimes mac customize the GPU used in their product. common driver which used on linux doesn't work well on them.

5- I have been using Linux as my main and only OS for 4 years now with no issues at all, just a few ironing from time to time, and all my family like it (namely Linux Mint) . Would I face problems setting things up on an OS X?

probably yes. it has propietary hardware. linux driver doesn't work well on them.

6- Does it include codecs by default just like Linux Mint?

yes

7- Is it as flexible as Linux Mint in terms of customization?

no. linux-bsd is gives you more freedom.

8- Does it have effects like Cinnamon?

certainly yes
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 884
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:54 am

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby nomko on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:25 am

MartyMint wrote:You should buy a Mac and spend as much time as you can on Mac forums.

+1000!!!
Best way to get rid of that troll!
Karlchen wrote:Nothing which the OP has said or asked in this thread justifies such a personal attack. Warning issued.
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

My personal website
User avatar
nomko
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby Zorba on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:23 am

konjad wrote:Weren't you the one who complained that Linux Mint 17 is a terrible turd and you switch to Ubuntu?


I changed my mind very easy :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Tunisia

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby Zorba on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:36 am

skywolfblue wrote:
Zorba wrote:1- Is OS X a better choice and why?
2- If I get a MacBook Air and install Linux Mint on it would I get any boosts in speed and graphics?
3- Is it true that OS X has backports?
4- Which one is faster: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon or OS X Mountain Lion?
5- I have been using Linux as my main and only OS for 4 years now with no issues at all, just a few ironing from time to time, and all my family like it (namely Linux Mint) . Would I face problems setting things up on an OS X?
6- Does it include codecs by default just like Linux Mint?
7- Is it as flexible as Linux Mint in terms of customization?
8- Does it have effects like Cinnamon?


I have a very pronounced apple-bias, I've used apple computers for ages. And have always felt that OSX was the pinnacle of OS design. The only reason I switched lately is I got tired paying and arm and a leg for hardware repairs.

1- A) The "just works" philosophy is very true for OS X. Mint has come a long way, but I'd still be careful to suggest to just anyone out there that they could install and run Mint without running into a problem. I could tell anyone to install OS X and they'd be able to run it, and learn their way around it, it really is so simple.
B) Column-View file manager. I'm sad Dolphin doesn't have this anymore, I don't know of any other linux file manager that does. Reading the post on why dolphin no longer included it, it seems like it's too complicated a thing for any one person to maintain alone. Being able to navigate dense file trees while dragging and dropping, or just using the arrow keys. It really is blazing awesome.
C) Cairo dock is nice, but it can't mimic the way OS X handles windows and applications. Which is real bummer because I think that the OS X implementation is very intuitive and the way "it should be".

2- Speed? Not likely. Graphics? Probably, Mac OS X comes packaged with it's drivers, meaning you can't update the video drivers aside from the once-every-aeon software system update. So linux mint has better video drivers. Also, apple has been really bad about updating their version of OpenGL.

3- No, not really. OS X is very sleek and dropped a lot of baggage by not worrying about backwards compatibility. But the cost is that you have to keep relatively up-to-date.

4- OS or applications? It depends. As an OS, X is very fast, but Linux Mint has better video card drivers.

5- Yes.

7- No. It is customizable somewhat. It makes up for it's lack of customization by having pretty rocking defaults.

8- Yes it has effects. It may take a little terminal action to tweak them.




you have really said it all thanks :D
Image
User avatar
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Tunisia

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby MartyMint on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:32 pm

So....you're getting a Mac?
User avatar
MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby Zorba on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:16 pm

MartyMint wrote:So....you're getting a Mac?



No :lol: From what I read I think I don't need any macs! Linux Mint does aleady the job very well :D I guess I'll have to stick with Linux Mint and normal PCs :D
Image
User avatar
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Tunisia

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby Distro-Don on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Zorba wrote:
MartyMint wrote:So....you're getting a Mac?



No :lol: From what I read I think I don't need any macs! Linux Mint does aleady the job very well :D I guess I'll have to stick with Linux Mint and normal PCs :D

Too bad!
Distro-Don
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby MartyMint on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:59 pm

Don't give up.

You can customise Macs with all sorts of "interesting" bright colours...flashy strobes...blinking notifications...'

You're only cheating yourself. Take the plunge!
User avatar
MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby MartyMint on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Think of the excitement you felt when you discovered Linux Mint!

You can relive that with a new Mac!
User avatar
MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby konjad on Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:28 pm

Macs run on Apple computers, therefore are less prone to hardware and software crashing. You should totally switch, there is no reason for you to stay with LM.
User avatar
konjad
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Poland

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby Zorba on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:56 am

It sounds like a great idea trying new stuff :D But I like opensource philosophy and the way it is changing the world :D So even if I get this Mac, for the sake of knowledge, Linux is not going anywhere but on this new Mac :D
Image
User avatar
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Tunisia

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby Incentive I.C on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:06 am

I think the thead should really be locked the OP has got his answer and things are starting to go alittle south......
The best way to learn from it is break it OS's (is there a plural for OS?) included.
User avatar
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby Zorba on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:31 am

Incentive I.C you have the best avatar on the forum, what's it's name again :D :D
Image
User avatar
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Tunisia

Re: OS X Vs Linux Mint: Which one is better?

Postby nomko on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:10 am

Incentive I.C wrote:I think the thead should really be locked the OP has got his answer and things are starting to go alittle south......

Reading this, the only reason the OP started this thread is starting some kind of uproar. Why asking this:
I'm considering buying MacBook Air

and come up later with this:
From what I read I think I don't need any macs! Linux Mint does already the job very well


This is really a way for OP to get everybody's attention.

Agree, this thread must be locked by the mod's/admin's!
Last edited by xenopeek on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language toned down
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

My personal website
User avatar
nomko
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Open chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests