MacBook Pro trackpad problems on Linux -- fix it please

Chat about just about anything else

MacBook Pro trackpad problems on Linux -- fix it please

Postby Lemon3 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:40 am

Hello,

This goes for all Linux OS, from Ubuntu to Linux Mint,etc...

I have a macbook pro, but if I use Linux Mint then the trackpad is very laggy. Its like its missing drivers.
And other things too.

Please look into improving the drivers support.

thank you.
Lemon3
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MacBook Pro trackpad problems on Linux -- fix it please

Postby xenopeek on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:30 am

When you posted this you must have known what reply this would get... "Have you tried calling Apple support?"

There is nothing Linux Mint developers can do about this (they don't write device drivers), so moved your topic here.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby killer de bug on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:24 am

I was pretty sure it was illegal to install a different OS on a Macbook... :lol:
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby xenopeek on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:46 am

Things like Boot Camp and Parallels Desktop allow for running other operating systems on Macs, so that's not a problem.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby robert-e on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:56 pm

@xenopeek;
Actually, there are both "free" and "nonfree" drivers supplied for linux distro. Eventually, most seem to find their way into the kernel. For example, about 10 years ago, the Atheros wireless driver was not available for linux, but was included with the windows xp install. A group of coders developed what came to be known as the "MadWiFi" driver. It did work for most of the distros, and eventually did come to be included in the kernel. I think a similar process is now going on with the Ralink drivers.

I imagine the op might be better served to be pointed to those who work in kernel development, in the case that such needed drivers do exist. Failing that, the only alternative is to poke at the manufactures of the hardware, to encourage them to provide support for linux.

Overall, the lack for drivers for linux seems to be an ongoing problem, that is not likely to go away soon. I suppose that a judicious choice of purchaced hardware might go a long ways to reducing such "driver" problems.

Best regards,
Bob
robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xenopeek on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:21 am

The kernel developers' task isn't to write device drivers for hardware manufacturers that are unwilling to do that themselves--unless those kernel developers happen to work for said manufacturer. Most kernel developers work for a company and work on stuff their company needs. While it's something the kernel developers happen to be able to do, they either do it because it's their job or because they bought some new hardware and stuff doesn't work and they solve their own problem :)

If you want MacBook Pro's to work flawlessly on Linux, Apple is the one to look at. They provide drivers for Windows, so why not for Linux (yeah, I know why). Don't expect somebody else to put the time in to hack a working driver together--either get the hardware manufacturer to do it or do it yourself (by proxy if you want, hiring somebody to do it for you). In any case, looking at the Linux Mint developers--who aren't kernel developers--is pointless and that was my point.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint + Laptop trackpad = hell

Postby Lemon3 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:00 am

Hello,

Here's an example:
- You have a laptop, a MacBook Pro or a Windows 7 laptop. You then install Linux Mint on the hard drive.

The problem: => The trackpad on the laptop is completely useless. Its laggy,its buggy,etc.
And changing some settings such as making it slower,faster,button editing,etc does NOT fix it. If anything it makes it worse or causes more problems.

Its like its missing drivers?.

Please look into this, because this may seem so small, but its a massive issue to people who use laptops (trackpads).

Think of it like this:
You just installed this beautiful OS (which is Linux Mint), but you have to use this mouse
http://cdn3.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/blo ... se-360.jpg

And of course its not how the mouse looks or anything, its how it operates and let me tell you the old mac mouses are like hell. And in my experience if you install Linux OS's and try to use the laptop's trackpad its like using the old mac mouses. Now lets say your not using Linux OS and just using OSX on the Macbook pro, then the trackpad is 100% fine . In fact the trackpad is smooth,quick,etc. But if you try to use that trackpad when you install Linux Mint, its complete hell.

Its like trying to connect to wifi without the wifi drivers. You can't connect to the wifi without the drivers. You could maybe get out your phone and connect to the wifi, and then tether the wifi by through the phone to the laptop by using bluetooth, but then its MEGA SLOW and it comes to like "what's the point".

Please, this may sound like a small issue, but let me tell you, you can't use any OS if the trackpad is complete utter useless. And I'm not saying its useless because there's no cool features such as swipe. I'm saying the trackpad is useless because moving the cursor is like hell, right clicking, left clicking,moving the cursor, etc is complete hell. But on the default OS the trackpad works fine.

Please can this be looked into?..

Thank you.
Lemon3
Level 1
Level 1

Postby robert-e on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:00 pm

@Lemon3,
Well, if you cannot find which manufacturer made/coded the pad on your mac; or find a driver for it elsewhere, I think your only options are to look for a linux distro that has that kind of driver (unlikely) or go back to the Apple OS.

Too bad that you went through all the effort to install Mint, but in all fairness, you likely did not do your homework to check for issues before doing the install. In the meantime, I agree with the foregoing posts...you are not likely to be satisfied with Mint or any other linux distro, unless you find some other hardware.

Regards,
Bob
robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Postby killer de bug on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:05 am

@Lemon3

Did you read? We just told you it was not the fault of Linux Mint developers if there is no drivers for your touchpad. Drivers are part of the kernel and Linux Mint has nothing to do with this.
Go and ask Linus Torvald to help you. Or ask Apple it will be easier... :lol:
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Open chat