Anti-Virus in Linux? Erring On The Safe Side

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MacLindroid

Re: Anti-Virus in Linux? Erring On The Safe Side

Post by MacLindroid »

killer de bug wrote:When you have loaded all these extensions, Firefox is already taking 500Mb of RAM... :?

About half that and, even if it did take up 500MB RAM, what's the issue? I "only" have 2GB and even that sits more than 65% unused all of the time. I don't understand why using a bit of RAM is an issue, unless you have just 1GB or less. Then Midori would be a better option than Firefox anyhow.
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

Unless you are running XFCE or LXDE with barely 600MB RAM (which some users do). You should not need a load of bloatware to keep you safe and mostly you do not need it. Most of it is paranoia, and it simply is not worth the resources needed to keep all that bloatware running for the 1 or 2 viruses that (might exist) and (might infect) your machine.

Plus I refuse to run any non-open source virus / malware / keylogger protection app, because I cannot review the security they are taking and I certainly will not run a closed source (security app) on my box. Browsers are susceptible sure, but as long as you close all but the most absolute needed ports and have a good firewall, IMO you are protected.

I would not get paranoid over an isolated incident about a user not knowing his machine and using it incorrectly and getting a virus, it is a case of user error.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

var wrote:Plus I refuse to run any non-open source virus / malware / keylogger protection app, because I cannot review the security they are taking
Have you taken part in the OpenSSL auditing? If not, what makes you think Open Source is any more secure?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

/dev/urandom wrote:Have you taken part in the OpenSSL auditing? If not, what makes you think Open Source is any more secure?
Code is open. So people can check it, it makes it way more secure than a closed source app. Even if the guy coding the closed source app is a good guy, you will always be in doubt... :wink:
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

killer de bug wrote:it makes it way more secure than a closed source app
Nope.

People being able to audit the code themselves won't necessarily do it. Closed Source commercial software vendors usually pay people for auditing, so it's more likely to have a closely audited Closed Source application than a secure Open Source application.
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

Vendors can also pay a person to add a backdoor. How does the user know they have not done so?

I also use OpenBSD and I review all security tools myself, I don't take part in auditing as a group, but no security software will go on my machine without me taking a look in it's code.
wanderer7

Post by wanderer7 »

I agree with var and killer de bug. Open source is more secure, not because it cannot have any vulnerabilities, but because these vulnerabilities usually get noticed and fixed ASAP. On the other hand, a closed source program might have an unpatched vulnerability for years. And at least, you can be sure that the software author didn't create any backdoors inside the program. You can't trust a closed source app. Simple as that.

Then again, I'm sure you have all read "Reflections on Trusting Trust": http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html
:twisted:
/dev/urandom

AW: Re: Anti-Virus in Linux? Erring On The Safe Side

Post by /dev/urandom »

wanderer7 wrote:a closed source program might have an unpatched vulnerability for years.
Xorg had one for 23 years.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

When you use a close source software to encrypt your HD, you cannot know if there are not a hidden commands who can reveal your password and thus allow access to all your data. Paranoid? Maybe, but in this world I doubt it...
I don't say it doesn't exist in open source softwares. I'm just saying that in open source software everyone can look into the code for suspicious entries. And that make open source software much more secure. Period.
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

Let me present you a well known virus for Linux : rm

Wrongly used with root rights it just delete's the whole content of your drive.

And there you got it. Linux/Mac/Unix are as safe as the person behind the keyboard.

Your browser will never run as root ,so it can never start processes as root.
Even if you browser lights up like a christmas tree , it won't get into the system ,because it's not running as root.

If you however switch your brain off, and start executing all your stuff from root, add repositories from unknown sources ,you will put yourself willingly at risk.
In this case no anti-virus scanner can protect you.

It's like asking for airbags everywhere in your car because you're going 200Mph all the time.
Just don't do it , stick to the speed limit ,and use the security that's been implemented.

HOWEVER !!! What IS advised ,is that you're using a sepeate proper proxy server with firewalls integrated that scans for bad traffic. This will protect mostly what's behind it (windows/linux/mac/etc.).
You can build this yourself with for example this distribution : ClearOS http://www.clearfoundation.coml

The biggest security threat for the moment is social hacking , no antivirus can stop this.

But the fact that you need an antivirus or not ,depends entirely on how much stupid things you'd like to do on your OS.
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

But that has nothing to do about security. That is only executed by people who have no idea what they are doing. If they run as root and execute that.. then they are a certified dumba** :D

And Xorg is a bit out of the topic, it's a huge app. If you look over the ClamAV source, it is much more manageable.
MacLindroid

Post by MacLindroid »

killer de bug wrote:When you have loaded all these extensions, Firefox is already taking 500Mb of RAM... :?
I had a look. 148,9MB.

And I am also using SELinux with a basic setup.

Return to “Open Chat”