uninstall linux mint

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ketan_sood

uninstall linux mint

Post by ketan_sood »

Hi All ,

Linux Mint is awesome but some applications are not offering linux setup. So ideally i want to have a dual system but it seems installing windows xp after linux mint is difficult. So probably the way i am left with is

->Uninstalling Linux mint
->Installing Windws XP
->Again installing Linux Mint

Please help me with the simple uninstall of the Linux Mint.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: uninstall linux mint

Post by karlchen »

Hello, ketan_sood.

Uninstalling an operating system basically works by deleting all the disk partitions which are in use by the operating system that you want to delete.
So in theory it should be feasible to boot up the machine from the Windows XP installation CD (or does it come on a DVD?), launch fdisk and remove all existing disk partitions.
You might also boot up the machine from the Linux Mint live and installation system which you used to install Linux Mint on the machine, launch GParted from the Mint Menu and delete each partition on the harddisk.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Incentive I.C

Re: uninstall linux mint

Post by Incentive I.C »

but it seems installing windows xp after linux mint is difficult. So probably the way i am left with is
Its shouldn't be. Windows will overwrite linux's bootloader. All you have to do is once the windows installation is complete go into the LiveCD and put Mint's bootloader back into the MBR which should be easy. Can you get a screenshot of you gparted and post it?

Return to “Open Chat”