Advice on PC assembly

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
RacerBG

Advice on PC assembly

Post by RacerBG »

Local shop near my house offers PC assembly from parts which you choose, cases, OS and whatever... This offer sounds good to me and I will ask you for some advices. I'm not a gamer or a millionaire so my guessed build will look like this:

4 GB RAM
2.6-3.0 GHz 2 cores CPU
1-2 GB video memory
500 GB-1 TB HDD

The problem is what manufacturer to choose from (AMD, Intel, nVidia,) for video card, for CPU, for RAM (Corsair for example), for HDD? Of course I will run 64 bit Linux on this machine and I'm trying to avoid problems with drivers, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Advice on PC assembly

Post by xenopeek »

If you're not a gamer, I'd recommend you go with Intel graphics. That comes with each Intel CPU, so you don't need to buy an extra graphics card. They will all play full HD movies without any problems.

At the bottom end, 2 core processors, Intel offers Celeron and Pentium processors. Performance wise there isn't really a big difference. The fastest Pentium processor is about 10% faster in real world than the fastest Celeron processor--while costing you twice as much (USD 42 vs USD 86). BTW, I'm looking at this list of processors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_% ... processors.

If you step it up to buy a Core i3 processor, those will cost about three times as much as a Celeron in mid range (USD 117) but will be 70% faster than a Celeron. Depends on what you can afford. I'd go either with the best Celeron you can afford if on very tight budget, or with the best Core i3 you can afford--you'll notice the difference in speed. Going up further in the line, towards Core i5 or Core i7 it all becomes much faster but also quickly jumps up in price and unless you do many CPU intensive tasks you won't really notice that.

I can help you narrow down further if you want; I regularly build computers to budget for family and recommend friends.

For the other things you mention; 4 GB RAM sounds like a good amount. It will be faster if you take that as 2 x 2 GB RAM (installing two RAM modules is faster than have one RAM module)--but upgrading in the future would mean replacing all the RAM modules. That said, on my 4 year old computer I couldn't find any affordable RAM modules to match the one I had when I wanted to upgrade. So that may be a moot point. Corsair is a good brand BTW.

As for hard disks, I've been very happy with the performance of WD Caviar Green hard disks I installed into two computers earlier this year for family.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Thanks for the helpful explanation, Xen. :) I'm playing a few open source games such as Flight Gear so Intel HD with OpenGL 3.0+ support is a must. Probably I will no go further than Celeron or Pentium or i3 at best. As for RAM I would prefer a single 4 GB chip to have more space later for another 4 GB if I want it. And for HDD - your advice seems just excellent. I would like something with about 500 GB space to save a few bucks. My laptop have 320 GB HDD and I never reached it's full capacity by the way.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know if that will be enough to play flightgear; from their system requirements page it would looke like Intel graphics aren't enough: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Hardware_recommendations. Even if you take a Core i3 with a HD 4600 graphics core, that will be just 50% faster than the HD 4000 they say is insufficent to run flightgear smoothly.
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMarais »

For the HDD I would choose Seagate sshd because they only run at 5400 rpm but use a 8gb ssd as cache. The advantage is to have faster data access with less damage risk on your HDD as it run less faster than usual HDD (7200rpm)
I have LM Running on all these computers
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

xenopeek wrote:I don't know if that will be enough to play flightgear; from their system requirements page it would looke like Intel graphics aren't enough: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Hardware_recommendations. Even if you take a Core i3 with a HD 4600 graphics core, that will be just 50% faster than the HD 4000 they say is insufficent to run flightgear smoothly.
Yes, FG is demanding game even considering the fact that I'm not a gamer for this little sparrow to fly I will need a lot of resources... Anyway I have another 1 or 2 years to decide because for now LM 17 XFCE serves really well on my old machine. But I will keep in mind your advices. This technology will be cheaper than today and I hope better. :)
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

I don't intend to start a huge debate, but I strongly recommend either a regular Seagate or a Western Digital Blue drive. The cost difference between their green drives is marginal and the reliability is a lot higher.

Also, if you don't game a lot, but there's ever the potential to do so make sure you get a case that supports a regular ATX PSU and isn't low profile. That way you can always pick up a cheap video card on Ebay. Also I don't recommend integrated graphics for ANY game other than Solitaire. NVidia on Linux is the obvious choice here.

Return to “Open Chat”