Linux distros lead jumps from Sun

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
LinuxForever

Linux distros lead jumps from Sun

Post by LinuxForever »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: Linux distros lead jumps from Sun

Post by msuggs »

Looks like they are still committed to Linux and the replacement from Debian should look after our interests well :)
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

I don't know omns. The reason I posted this is because of this one line

"The company wants Java and its middleware to piggyback with Linux, to support the market, and ultimately to be able to charge for services related to its software down the line."

If sun starts charging for java what happens to the free distros? Then again, Sun is having to lay off up to 2,500 employees so who knows how much longer Sun will be making Java. May be Sun will merge with Starbucks and make Hazelnut Java.
Last edited by LinuxForever on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

I think the key word there is 'services' rather than products. Lots of groups make money from offering services with their free products. Canonical is one that comes to mind.
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

I hope so. That would be the Open Source way of doing things.

Return to “Open Chat”