Up to 60% of PC shipped with no OS

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Mangar

Up to 60% of PC shipped with no OS

Post by Mangar »

http://firstbiz.firstpost.com/corporate ... 93251.html

I found this interesting with China and the OS, it is worth the entire read :wink: :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Up to 60% of PC shipped with no OS

Post by kyphi »

Thank you for sharing that - it was interesting reading.
On my desk I have a copy of Deepin 2014, a recent addition to the Chinese-created operating systems. Of course they do not want to be locked in to an expensive Redmond system especially when they can create their own - and do it better.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

It's a shame that most of those computers will have a bootlegged Windows installed on them, when they could have a better operating system and better software for free.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

jimallyn wrote:...those computers will have a bootlegged Windows installed on them...
Pretty much...yeah.
HarzVieh

Post by HarzVieh »

Since the time Windows XP start having nasty habit notifucating me it's not genuine, I have nice habit not installing it anymore.. Microfoot do sell it's OS preinstalled on PC's but it do not maintain it. And who did it.. we did. Techies.. so if I explain politely my customer, I do not install XP anymore, because it's not genuine, I loose a custormer. Well.. so be it.. I am not an official workshop, so I do not have any obligations. Now.. this bullshit with other partition having the recovery copy.. can't remember someone did actually recover something.. did someone go to a shop, buy a genuine copy of the OS, come to you and ask you to install it? Difficult to remember.. right? Buying a new PC everytime the OS is broken is costly.. and I warn anyone if they buy PC in a shop with Wondops in it, they should not come to me for repair.. I will not do it anymore.. 8)
Miekuxi

Post by Miekuxi »

HarzVieh wrote:Since the time Windows XP start having nasty habit notifucating me it's not genuine, I have nice habit not installing it anymore.. Microfoot do sell it's OS preinstalled on PC's but it do not maintain it. And who did it.. we did. Techies.. so if I explain politely my customer, I do not install XP anymore, because it's not genuine, I loose a custormer. Well.. so be it.. I am not an official workshop, so I do not have any obligations. Now.. this stuff with other partition having the recovery copy.. can't remember someone did actually recover something.. did someone go to a shop, buy a genuine copy of the OS, come to you and ask you to install it? Difficult to remember.. right? Buying a new PC everytime the OS is broken is costly.. and I warn anyone if they buy PC in a shop with Wondops in it, they should not come to me for repair.. I will not do it anymore.. 8)
You can go with Ubuntu Kylin, which has as good Chinese support as Windows does.
WPS Office is about as good as Microsoft Office.
(I just got all these Ubuntu Kylin fonts so I can read Chinese on Linux Mint without any issues.)

Return to “Open Chat”